6.2 with afe intake = 36hp!

GM is not leaving 36 hp on the table. That's just ridiculous. I'm sure Blackbear didn't do anything malicious...but there's something for sure flakey with their data.

I use to think this way but after getting a tune on this truck, I believe gm will leave that much power on the table and then some. Gm de-tuned these trucks this much why would they not restrict air flow?

Edited by Keathlim
  • Like 1

As a reputable tuner, you yourself should question those dyno results. I can't believe anybody that knows much about cars thinks an intake tube would gain 36 hp. A high flowing intake manifold has never gained that much power...a good cam swap gives 50-60 hp and would require tuning...that tube isn't much different than any other tube on the chart...

Not sure what to tell you, the results are what they are. We were just as surprised.

As a reputable tuner, you yourself should question those dyno results. I can't believe anybody that knows much about cars thinks an intake tube would gain 36 hp. A high flowing intake manifold has never gained that much power...a good cam swap gives 50-60 hp and would require tuning...that tube isn't much different than any other tube on the chart...

What is there to question?

They bolted on an intake and dyno'd it, thats what came out. It's pretty simple.

Seriously I'm curious, what would you personally do if you were doing this test, you started swapping out intakes and you received these results

• Like 1

What is there to question?

They bolted on an intake and dyno'd it, thats what came out. It's pretty simple.

Seriously I'm curious, what would you personally do if you were doing this test, you started swapping out intakes and you received these results

Ignorance is pretty simple. Dyno results can easily be manipulated, on purpose or on accident.

• Like 1

Of course there is HP left on the table for all the reasons already stated. I'm lucky enough to also own a Kawasaki H2 that new makes just over 200hp. An air filter and a tune it goes up to ~230 and with a pipe ~270hp ...on a motorcycle. Id say they left some on the table.

GM gave us an engine that can be drag raced and put it into a truck that has to meet stiff regulations. The power is bottled up within those regulations ...just uncork the bottle.

• Like 1

Ignorance is pretty simple. Dyno results can easily be manipulated, on purpose or on accident.

What other data would you need to show that the dyno sheets have not been manipulated? Someone would be pretty hard up to try to manipulate dyno sheets, quite frankly, not worth our time.

Sent from my fone.

• Like 3

Jenna and Justin don't pay the Trolls any attention, there is always the naysayers who say that it is all smoke and mirrors because the manufactures know what they are doing and would never limit a vehicles potential. People don't realize that there are corporate bean counters and corporate lawyers who raise concerns about putting powerful vehicles on the road due to how historical litigation has played out. They also don't realize that the manufactures have to meet certain emission requirements, noise/vibration/harshness requirements and also have to take into consideration than a huge portion of the purchasing customer base wont take care of the vehicle correctly so the manufacture has to build the vehicle for the masses of dummies that will own the vehicles and to make sure the warranty that the manufacture has to provide will be able to cover the vehicles without having it in the shop weekly due to break downs.

Years ago I did a 1 day dyno session on my 2008 Corvette. I went from the stock airbox setup to the Z06 airbox setup and then to a Airaid airbox setup. Car went from 370rwhp, then to 379rwhp then to 387rwhp. So to pick up 17rwhp with just changing the airbox was documented. Even still some of the Corvette owners came out saying it was false and I was lying and that there is no way there was that much power on the table.

Sorry folks, the manufactures do leave that much power on the table, all day and every day. They build a product that will appease the masses but will also survive the warranty period the manufacture has to cover. It is a gamble on the manufactures side and on the owners side. With that I knew my truck picked up some power when I put the Airaid kit on my 2016 truck, I expect the same result when I pick up the 2017 Camaro SS in a couple of months and swap the air intake on it as well.

• Like 3

Yes so they chose to manipulate one that does not require much, if it all, tuning.....yet they are a company that primarily makes money from tuning.

• Like 1

I expect the same result when I pick up the 2017 Camaro SS in a couple of months and swap the air intake on it as well.

Lol thats probably the only vehicle (and the vette) you could not expect the same results since its the same engine used in the test but makes 40 more hp.

Btw I rented a camaro 1ss 2 weeks ago, holy shit that car is incredible. It is unbelievable you can get that much performance and build quality for that price. Thing was soo abused by renters and it still felt as solid as a bank vault.

• Like 1

Of course there is HP left on the table for all the reasons already stated. I'm lucky enough to also own a Kawasaki H2 that new makes just over 200hp. An air filter and a tune it goes up to ~230 and with a pipe ~270hp ...on a motorcycle. Id say they left some on the table.

GM gave us an engine that can be drag raced and put it into a truck that has to meet stiff regulations. The power is bottled up within those regulations ...just uncork the bottle.

Yeah I just found that out about the h2 a few weeks ago. That's pretty crazy. I used to ride a lot, cannot even fathom what 270hp is like when my 125hp 600 gave me actual tunnel vision the first time I did a first gear pull.

An intake that could flow 36 more horsepower than stock is way too far fetched for me to believe. I also have a hard time believing that one hollowed unobstructed tube flows 36 more horsepower than another nearly identical unobstructed hollow tube. Nothing said by any body on this thread so far will change my mind, so we'll just have to agree to disagree. Thanks.

• Like 2

An intake that could flow 36 more horsepower than stock is way too far fetched for me to believe. I also have a hard time believing that one hollowed unobstructed tube flows 36 more horsepower than another nearly identical unobstructed hollow tube. Nothing said by any body on this thread so far will change my mind, so we'll just have to agree to disagree. Thanks.

How funny you should mention that. Because they actually tried just replacing the "hollow unubstructed tube" you can see that on the dyno of the "mit intake tube" by itself. It did infact make almost no gains at all.

When they replaced the entire intake box, which does have an obstruction, an air filter, they saw big gains.

Would you be as surprised if someone replaced headers and made 36hp? Probably not. Guess what they are...drum role....hollow unobstructed tubes

Edited by truckguy82

Sooo, just change the filter? I've seen other threads that say it's the tube. Wonder why GM uses such a restricted filter? Probably to filter out dirt. I always use a K&N drop in myself.

Dont know, but it's definitely in the box itself

Anyone want to pop the filter out and try a pull?

How funny you should mention that. Because they actually tried just replacing the "hollow unubstructed tube" you can see that on the dyno of the "mit intake tube" by itself. It did infact make almost no gains at all.

When they replaced the entire intake box, which does have an obstruction, an air filter, they saw big gains.

Would you be as surprised if someone replaced headers and made 36hp? Probably not. Guess what they are...drum role....hollow unobstructed tubes

Header gains aren't all that impressive.

9c0da82eea7e14fbc16c1cccd3b8a7c5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 2