Clicking sound R Turn after stop, Pulling Trailer, or SLOW climb

Hello - I have a 2002 Suburban 3/4T 4x4 8.1L I'm feeling (more than hearing) a low frequency bump-bump-bump almost always a series of 3.

It doesn't happen every time but it's common and baffling me! It commonly happens when making a hard right turn when taking off from a complete stop bump-bump-bump then the noise stops and off I go. When pulling my boat & trailer from a complete stop regular acceleration bump-bump-bump then the noise stops and off I go. I've also experienced it when in bumper to bumper traffic crawling up a medium incline not necessarily three bumps. Just recently I heard it while backing my boat up an incline (all other times were in forward motion)

I've replaced the two rear U-joints (old ones didn't look bad), I've jacked up the front and made sure each front wheel spins independently, without moving the front drive shaft. Front wheels feel good (wont wiggle vertically or horizontally - don't grind when spun) The noise 'feels' like it's coming from the left front - but that may be because that's where I'm sitting when I experience it.

Any additional suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

From the way it sounds what your describing I would check the rear diff as it may be sticking before unlocking and also did you grease the slip spline on the driveshaft that goes into the tranny? That could be doing it also as it could be sticking when the rear axle twists and the slip spline is not sliding as needed.

Edited by Silverado4x4

• 1 year later...

So my weird sound is finally fixed! I was CONVINCED it was in the differential - took it to a local specialty shop - they dug into it and could find nothing wrong with the differential (I was happy to pay for the examination) What they DID find is that a inner rear wheel seal had been leaking and the rear emergency brake shoes ( this is a full floating axle with the rotors that are a combination Disc & shoe brakes) had gotten 'sticky' from the axle fluid, the shop doesn't do brakes, so when I got it home I dug into it and got new shoes & pads and seals installed - no more weird sound!