Anyone ever traded in their iMac for a PC?

GPGuy

I'm in the market for a new desktop computer and I've been tossing around the idea of whether or not to stick with an iMac or go back to PC.

I own a photography business, which is why I originally moved over to Mac's, but then some tell me that the multimedia ability of the newer PC's has greatly improved in the past 5 years or so.

That being said you do pay a premium for the iMac as compared to a PC, but you do get 5K displays Retina displays and such. Trying to decide if it's worth the extra cost.

What has pissed me off about Apple though is how after 5 years they stop making parts for your computer and at 7 years they're totally obsolete. So if even the smallest thing goes wrong with it, and it works perfectly otherwise, you essentially have a very expensive paper weight. At least with PC's you can usually find a new video card or hard drive for it...

Also I haven't owned a Windows computer since Vista, so I would have a whole new learning curve there too.

Just looking to get people's thoughts or experiences with this.

Here's another spin on your comment about parts availability...

Be grateful that you run out of "new stuff" and replacement parts long before the machine just stops being useful. I've NEVER had a Windows machine go beyond about three years without having to completely rebuild it from scratch and start again because it just drags down over time.

after 5 years they stop making parts for your computer and at 7 years they're totally obsolete.

Welcome to 2017. This is the case with all electronics. Throw away society- and the worst part is, you cant even throw it away without some "recycling fee".

Anyway, I use PC for work and have never wanted to touch an apple product. I couldn't do my job without the "right click" mouse button. I think the user interface on PC is far superior.

You should consider just buying a tablet with a docking station. The Windows Surface + a big wide monitor will do everything you need it to.

Welcome to 2017. This is the case with all electronics. Throw away society- and the worst part is, you cant even throw it away without some "recycling fee".

Anyway, I use PC for work and have never wanted to touch an apple product. I couldn't do my job without the "right click" mouse button. I think the user interface on PC is far superior.

You should consider just buying a tablet with a docking station. The Windows Surface + a big wide monitor will do everything you need it to.

On a Mac, you use two fingers when you click on the trackpad and the Magic Mouse / Magic Mouse 2. You can always do a CTRL-Click as well. They all provide the context menu "right click" that you get on Windows.

If you use a dual button mouse, the right click works as expected.

I'll level. If I were you, I'd think about it a while. Windows 10 is the worst operating system out in some time. It basically released as a beta, and is being continually updated. I mean CONTINUALLY. It is no faster than 7 or 8, and the neglect of Microsoft with issues like driver compatibility and security is worrying. Keeping working, vital components of the OS functional has taken a backseat to "features". Only 1 of my 3 USB ports works now, and I have no way to install Dell's drivers because Windows 10 tries to delete them and force its own "correct" drivers on top.

Microsoft has headed down a dangerous path, where power users (like you) get treated poorly, so that the next gimmick can be released in time. They're also endlessly pushing "subscription" services (like Office 365).

The spying features in Windows 10 are deeply embedded, and are impossible to fully disable. My L502X has plenty of power in all areas, and better specs than many new machines, yet is rendered slow and helpless thanks to the plague of driver (and other) issues with 10.

I guess the question is would I trust my livelihood to a new PC. The answer is NO. They have proven they don't care about their customers and they won't start with you. Stick with the Mac.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I'll level. If I were you, I'd think about it a while. Windows 10 is the worst operating system out in some time. It basically released as a beta, and is being continually updated. I mean CONTINUALLY. It is no faster than 7 or 8, and the neglect of Microsoft with issues like driver compatibility and security is worrying. Keeping working, vital components of the OS functional has taken a backseat to "features". Only 1 of my 3 USB ports works now, and I have no way to install Dell's drivers because Windows 10 tries to delete them and force its own "correct" drivers on top.

Microsoft has headed down a dangerous path, where power users (like you) get treated poorly, so that the next gimmick can be released in time. They're also endlessly pushing "subscription" services (like Office 365).

The spying features in Windows 10 are deeply embedded, and are impossible to fully disable. My L502X has plenty of power in all areas, and better specs than many new machines, yet is rendered slow and helpless thanks to the plague of driver (and other) issues with 10.

I guess the question is would I trust my livelihood to a new PC. The answer is NO. They have proven they don't care about their customers and they won't start with you. Stick with the Mac.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Mine didnt do that with upgrade and runs well on 10. 8 and ME were the worst OS that MS put out

If you have the disposal income check out the Microsoft Surface Book or better yet the Microsoft Studio. You will not be disappointed in a graphical/artsy perspective. The Studio is incredible for artists and graphic designers etc. it has surpassed the Mac. With regards to kstruck's comments, over the past 5 years or so Microsoft has started designing their own products to maximize the full potential of their operating system and is no longer relying strictly on other manufacturers such as Dell. They actually learned from Apple and their own hardware is paving the way for the other manufacturers such as Dell. Just my 2cents.

Linux is where it's at, but it doesn't come installed on anything from the factory, and depending on what you're using sometimes it can be hard to find a compatible program. Windows 10 is just okay, and like stated they update it every week "patch Tuesday". A lot of people are getting fed up with Microsoft and either getting Apples or installing Linux.

Vista is what drove me to finally take the plunge and get a Mac... :nonod:

It was so bad at handling raw picture files that it just pissed me off and I got fed up.

Vista is what drove me to finally take the plunge and get a Mac... :nonod:

It was so bad at handling raw picture files that it just pissed me off and I got fed up.

If it is new and made for Windows 10, you will be fine. If you are replacing the old all in one iMac, then the Surface Studio is where you need to look

Linux is where it's at, but it doesn't come installed on anything from the factory, and depending on what you're using sometimes it can be hard to find a compatible program. Windows 10 is just okay, and like stated they update it every week "patch Tuesday". A lot of people are getting fed up with Microsoft and either getting Apples or installing Linux.

Couldn't disagree more.

I've been using Linux for over two decades and it's outstanding at doing many things. Being an every day desktop operating system is NOT one of them. There are literally HUNDREDS of different distributions, all of them with different "defaults" that truly appeal only to those that actually build the distro. There are driver issues, program compatibility issues, and just about NO commercial products being made for it for the average home user (or even advanced home user).

Don't get me wrong - I love using Linux for very specific things (like web servers, file servers, and similar). But I have never once attempted to use it as a full desktop replacement operating system because it isn't built for that unless you absolutely LOVE to be under the hood tinkering with things all of the time.

There's a reason basically everyone in photography/film/etc uses Mac. I just have a low end Windows machine at work but getting better guts wouldn't cure it of all the bullshit that comes with Windows. Having to chase down drivers, tons of junk added on by the manufacturer and general Microsoft BS. My MacBook is a late 2013 so it's getting old but it's better than anything running Microsoft.

Couldn't disagree more.

I've been using Linux for over two decades and it's outstanding at doing many things. Being an every day desktop operating system is NOT one of them. There are literally HUNDREDS of different distributions, all of them with different "defaults" that truly appeal only to those that actually build the distro. There are driver issues, program compatibility issues, and just about NO commercial products being made for it for the average home user (or even advanced home user).

Don't get me wrong - I love using Linux for very specific things (like web servers, file servers, and similar). But I have never once attempted to use it as a full desktop replacement operating system because it isn't built for that unless you absolutely LOVE to be under the hood tinkering with things all of the time.

It is definitely the best for tinkering, and next to Apple it's nice to be able to not have to worry about viruses as much as Windows. I like using it for browsing the web, and other things like that, but it wouldn't be good for what the OP is looking for. I'd say to just stay with Apple, but I've never been a fan because of their ridiculous price point.

Archived