In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

I am well aware that we can avoid paying the dealerships fee and get a replacement key from ebay, pay someone with a fancy laser machine to cut it and then program it ourselves. Even with all that effort we can save about half the price that GM would charge.

I'm wondering about the style of keys, for our trucks we have the traditional style key with a separate fob. Some other GM models (GMC Terrain/ Chevy Equinox in particular) have the flip/ switchblade style. I believe the working end of the key is identical and they both have the "chip" for programming. (correct me if I'm wrong)

So the question is, can we use either style for a replacement? I really want to get a spare for both my truck and my wife's car. But obviously a replacement/ valet key does not need a fob, so if possible I would just get the "truck" style key for both if that works. I believe others might be interested in making a switchblade that works with their trucks if that is possible.

So if anyone has tried this, I'd love to hear about your findings. Thanks in advance.

post-151671-0-57127800-1484835269.jpg

post-151671-0-81867600-1484835283.jpg

I am well aware that we can avoid paying the dealerships fee and get a replacement key from ebay, pay someone with a fancy laser machine to cut it and then program it ourselves. Even with all that effort we can save about half the price that GM would charge.

I'm wondering about the style of keys, for our trucks we have the traditional style key with a separate fob. Some other GM models (GMC Terrain/ Chevy Equinox in particular) have the flip/ switchblade style. I believe the working end of the key is identical and they both have the "chip" for programming. (correct me if I'm wrong)

So the question is, can we use either style for a replacement? I really want to get a spare for both my truck and my wife's car. But obviously a replacement/ valet key does not need a fob, so if possible I would just get the "truck" style key for both if that works. I believe others might be interested in making a switchblade that works with their trucks if that is possible.

So if anyone has tried this, I'd love to hear about your findings. Thanks in advance.

I'm interested in this too. When I traded in my 2010 Camaro I had a key like this and was surprised when they handed me a "regular" key for my new truck.

I believe the fob would hit the shifter arm.

Ok, so if we accept this as a fact, that would explain why the trucks do not come with a switchblade.

But it does not answer whether or not all the GM key blades are interchangeable and I could use a truck style key in a vehicle that comes with a switchblade. That is really what I want to do.

I believe the fob would hit the shifter arm.

^^^This is why we have the separate key and fob. Unless they go to push start or put the shifter in the center console, we are stuck with what we have to allow the column shifter clearance to operate.

I don't know for certain, but I don't see why you couldn't take a blank for the trucks to use in another vehicle. That's above my pay grade to know lol.

Sent from my kayak

Edited by SkeeterMcSkeet