how else to stiffen things up?

So the plan was to upgrade tow rigs this year to a 2500/f250 gasser, but I don't think thats going to happen. Means another season of camping with my 1500. What else can I do to it to make it feel more planted, & secure when towing?

I've got a good wd hitch, setup correctly. I've got sumosprings in the rear to help a bit. Would better shocks/struts help? A better rear sway bar?

Well what do you have for shocks. If you don't already have them Bilstein 4600 shocks or great for towing and hauling.

stock shocks. bit over 100k miles on em. Probably time to replace I would think. I do have a 1" level and a 2.25" rear block (replacing stock 1.25"). Would I be better off with the 5100?

I tow my skidsteer often in the winter, probably a bit over 12,000 lbs with trailer, a bit over my rating but it's only around town and hopefully will upgrade soon. I have airbags on my rear and it did make a notable difference. Now saying that it is no replacement for a bigger pickup, I can still feel the weight trying to push me around but as a short term fix a would definitely recommend for a half ton. Difference between my truck and yours though is my truck was set up to tow from the factory however.

I would put a set of Lt tires on and get rid of the p rated ones. That will be a noticeable difference.

no doubt.

if you REALLY want a tougher one...

you will also find the bed cross sills are sheet metal gauge.

I flipped my bed off upside down and made a monster.

2x3 full hot rolled is just my front cross sill, that is the first sill on the bed behind the cab.

26 pounds for the 50 inches or so. Just shy of 3/16ths or metric something.

did all 5 of them. The second cross sill is also a good spot. I laminated with 3/16ths the factory one as it was in great condition. That may be the biggest one of all..

hard telling. That is a pun I guess. :)

and shocks.. they don't matter. Be sure the mounts are rugged however, adds to good frame geometry.

Edited by barry G

• 2 weeks later...

If you're running LTs in LR E, already have sumo springs; there isn't much left in my opinion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I agree. That's about all you can do for a half ton. On my last truck, I added LT tires and Timbrens, and it was more stable than a stock truck. Better shocks may help (especially if you're still running the factory ones), but at the end of the day, it's still a 1500.

Nonsense. Sumo springs and Timbrens are certainly better than nothing, but they don't compare to airbags. Timbrens add a lot of capacity but not until the suspension is compressed substantially which affects ride and handling quite a bit. Sumo Springs for these only "add 1000 lbs capacity" which isn't much and only when the suspension is largely compressed so they do a lot less.

If the OP can't swing a new truck this year, he can dramatically improve his current rig by replacing the Sumo springs with a proper set of Firestone/Airlift bags. Fill them to 50 psi or so, hook up to your trailer and see how it feels. I'll guess right now you'll feel fine with the truck like that for another year. And that's only 1/2 of max....

Yes, shocks can also make a noticeable improvement but the better ones are more expensive and if you're trading in the truck in a year you may want to avoid that. Do the airbags first and see if you feel you need anything more after that.

The main problem with your suspension right now is soft rear springs--the airbags fix that problem very well and they're relatively cheap.