how else to stiffen things up?

I have firestone airbags and love them. Did the install myself. 

Many people I know put way too much PSI in them which makes it like a pogo stick.    When I put a load in my trailer, I adjust the air pressure so the squat is lifted back to exactly what it was on stock height and that's it.  Sometimes it takes as low as 10 psi. As high as 40psi. It varies every load, I find measuring the fender on each side (I have both of my rear bags individually filled) the best and easiest way.  

• 1 month later...
On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 7:42 PM, Jon A said:

Nonsense. Sumo springs and Timbrens are certainly better than nothing, but they don't compare to airbags. Timbrens add a lot of capacity but not until the suspension is compressed substantially which affects ride and handling quite a bit. Sumo Springs for these only "add 1000 lbs capacity" which isn't much and only when the suspension is largely compressed so they do a lot less.

If the OP can't swing a new truck this year, he can dramatically improve his current rig by replacing the Sumo springs with a proper set of Firestone/Airlift bags. Fill them to 50 psi or so, hook up to your trailer and see how it feels. I'll guess right now you'll feel fine with the truck like that for another year. And that's only 1/2 of max....

Yes, shocks can also make a noticeable improvement but the better ones are more expensive and if you're trading in the truck in a year you may want to avoid that. Do the airbags first and see if you feel you need anything more after that.

The main problem with your suspension right now is soft rear springs--the airbags fix that problem very well and they're relatively cheap.

Look up the RoadMaster suspension. had it on my trailer I just traded in. Watch the video, and you will buy them. I also have some for sale. Easy to install and once installed no adjusting needed.

• 1 month later...