Drop Shackles with Air Bags.

I am giving serious thought to going with the Sumo Springs. Replaces the bump stop and goes full length to the axle. No gap. Obviously not a leveling thing like air bags. But given the suspension has been dropped via the McGaughy's drop shackles, they will already be compressing just as it sits. Talked with Peter at SuperSprings about if a problem going with them and the drop shackles and he said it would not be an issue. Probably a little firmer out of the gate than being fully expanded with stock setup, but will absorb a lot of road jarring and be approaching full effect with a moderate load in the back. Resistance is progressive the more they are collapsed. At $170 and free shipping (current price on Amazon for product number SSR-207-47) to give it a shot, will not be out a lot of money. Just need to order and take the time to put them on.

Edited by Cowpie
  • Like 2

I am giving serious thought to going with the Sumo Springs. Replaces the bump stop and goes full length to the axle. No gap. Obviously not a leveling thing like air bags. But given the suspension has been dropped via the McGaughy's drop shackles, they will already be compressing just as it sits. Talked with Peter at SuperSprings about if a problem going with them and the drop shackles and he said it would not be an issue. Probably a little firmer out of the gate than being fully expanded with stock setup, but will absorb a lot of road jarring and be approaching full effect with a moderate load in the back. Resistance is progressive the more they are collapsed. At $170 and free shipping (current price on Amazon for product number SSR-207-47) to give it a shot, will not be out a lot of money. Just need to order and take the time to put them on.

I wounder if you could trim them so you wouldn't lose your ride when not loaded? They do sound like a good alternative for air bags for the cost.

Aren't they closed cell foam? Once you cut that outer cover, what happens? Or am I thinking of some other "spring"?

For what it's worth, I picked my Timbrens up for $160 shipped from TruckSpring. Since they are modular, you could swap out the spring for a shorter one...that's why I recommended that route.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

We have run Timbrens for years on some of our plow trucks, I'm just not a big fan of them.

The Sumo's can not be trimmed.

The overall length of the Sumospring SSR-207-47 is 5"'s and about 1" of that slides into the bump stop mount. That should leave about a 1/2" between the bottom of the Sumo's and axle pad and with there progressive design they should do what we are hoping for, keep the stock ride when empty and help keep the truck level when loaded.

I see they are rated for a total of 1500 lbs at 50%, I'm hoping that will be enough? I know it depends on how heavy we are running but...

I kinda like this idea, install it and forget it. Seems like a better idea then making custom brackets for air bags as long as they work.

I almost went with SumoSprings, but at that time I read of a couple failures (they ruptured or something like that) and they didn't have a good warranty at that time (keep in mind this was several years ago, so take this with a grain of salt).

After owning Timbrens and airbags, I don't know what I would do...both have their pluses, minuses, and quirks.

Good luck with whatever you chose.

I almost went with SumoSprings, but at that time I read of a couple failures (they ruptured or something like that) and they didn't have a good warranty at that time (keep in mind this was several years ago, so take this with a grain of salt).

After owning Timbrens and airbags, I don't know what I would do...both have their pluses, minuses, and quirks.

Yea, I'm undecided on which way I'm going to go.

Are you running drop shackles?

Edited by grnmtnboy

Kinda curious how they would rupture. They are micro cellular urethane. They show boring a 1" hole thru them and it doesn't affect capability but only minimally.

Nothing is the perfect, one size fits all situations remedy. I looked at air bags and liked them, but the practicality wasn't there and the cost could be beat. Timbrens looked interesting, but still the gap between axle and contact. Sumo Springs are directly on the axle and are progressive in resistance as they are compressed, kinda like an air bag. Kind of a middle ground between Timbrens and air bags. Air bag flexibility with no maintenance or air input, and the ease of plug and play and forget like Timbrens. Hope they do the trick. We'll see. I will only be out $170 for trying. Considerably cheaper than air bags. I have stuck my neck out before and got fooled.