Drop Shackles with Air Bags.

• 4 weeks later...

Just installed my lowering shackles today........would have been a piece of cake except for trimming that pinch weld.....that was a major pain in the ass........ruined my t shirt with hot flaming fragments of metal falling down upon me......happy with the result but am glad I will never have to do that again!

Ordered the McGaughy's shackles today and plan on installing them myself. I can't find any good install directions, but I guess I'll figure it out. Any tricks to make it easier?

Installed the shackles today. Took a couple of hours. The pinch weld was tough. Would recommend you use an angle grinder with a cut off wheel and then grind the rough stuff down. Also, need to cut out 5 - 6" of the weld because the top eye is fore when the wheels are off the ground but pushes aft when down. Also, I used some spray rubber undercoating on all the newly exposed areas.

I got just a bit over 2" of drop as measured from the bottom of the hitch. It's noticeable getting in / out of the bed and from the side profile.

Overall, definitely worth it. Having a few beers now.

Anyone have any issues with vibrations after dropping the rear 2"? I haven't but was wondering if it's an issue. Do the driveline angles change enough to cause any issues / premature wear to the pinion bearings?

Edited by paauto

Another question. How far back toward the bumper did you trim out the seam weld? I have about a 1/2" between the spring pack and the point where I did the vertical cut on the seam. Was curious how far the shackle will push back under a large load. Thinking I might want to remove the seam all the way back toward the bumper to play it safe. No rubbing or binding now w/out a load.

Edited by paauto

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Installed my sumosprings last week and I'm impressed. The ride isn't noticeably different, but I can tell they are back there when I pull my gooseneck which is what I was looking for. They are pretty much sitting on the axle without a trailer, and truck sit's level with my gooseneck hooked up. (18k lbs) Overall I'm very happy!

• 1 year later...

Reviving the dead thread

but I was having trouble with finding a helper bags that works. I’ve gone thru 2 sets of helper bags and now on my third. Finally got one that works pretty good. 

Truck: 2018 crew cab standard bed 2wd with 2” drop shackles 

Helper bags: air lift 5000 kit but instead of the bags that comes with that kit. Ask for a 5810 bags. It is a single bellow bag. It is about 1 3/4” shorter than the 5813 that comes with the kit. Hope this helps. ??

Over 3 years with McGaughy's 2" drop shackles and 2 years with 1500 lb SumoSprings installed in the bump stops for additional support and I would not have done it any other way.  Can throw well over a ton of material in the back of the pickup and it just sits level.  Nice ride, loaded or empty.  Excellent results on cornering when loaded also.  The "cat in heat" rake the factory puts in the 3/4 and 1 ton pickups is totally unnecessary.  The factory could do this and add virtually nothing to the MSRP.  Totally install and forget setup.  Nothing to wear out or fail.  Can take the abuse of my rural gravel roads and off road stuff.    They also make Sumo's to replace the bump stops on the front end also.

https://www.supersprings.com/products/sumosprings/

Edited by Cowpie

32 minutes ago, Cowpie said:

Over 3 years with McGaughy's 2" drop shackles and 2 years with 1500 lb SumoSprings installed in the bump stops for additional support and I would not have done it any other way.  Can throw well over a ton of material in the back of the pickup and it just sits level.  Nice ride, loaded or empty.  Excellent results on cornering when loaded also.  The "cat in heat" rake the factory puts in the 3/4 and 1 ton pickups is totally unnecessary.  The factory could do this and add virtually nothing to the MSRP.  Totally install and forget setup.  Nothing to wear out or fail.  Can take the abuse of my rural gravel roads and off road stuff.    They also make Sumo's to replace the bump stops on the front end also.

https://www.supersprings.com/products/sumosprings/

I actually prefer your "cat in heat" look and prefer it over the sick dog look when towing a heavy trailer.  I installed Timbrens and they seem to improve the ride, handling and give the extra boost needed when towing heavy.  The sumosprings look nice too, will have to consider those for my next truck.