Capless Fuel Fill Solution

I've noticed that the fuel filler area has had road spray on it what w/ the inclement weather we've been having & the usual salt removal efforts. That got me thinking today about making a cap that would fit over the "flapper" housing.

Well this is what I came up w/ in my shop:

Fuel%20Filler%20Cap%20-%20Copy_zpsuct5dj

Fuel%20Filler%20Cap%20Print%20-%20Copy_z

Anyone w/ access to a lathe should be able to make 1 in about an hour. It's a bit snug (open ID up to 2.345?). Mind you snug is better than loose.

Edited by revrnd
  • Like 2

Not really, sorry. Ask around if there are any small machine shops or even the local high school. That's why I included the sketch of the part.

If I had a larger lathe, I could make them w/ a lot less wasted material.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You mean to tell me there is no cap? So it is just a big open dish that collects sand and water? You may as well remove the air filter too. You have a good idea, you should try to parley this into a new profession. It's all part of the long term plan for GM...let dirt and water get in so the fuel filter plugs, then on the gas engine you have to drop the tank to replace it. If they are lucky dirt will get in the engine and will cause a failure.

• Like 1

Can someone get me inner and outer dimensions of the filler neck? I could probably turn one and give it to someone to test.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The opening is a bit oblong. A cap will cover things better than a plug. Just use the dimensions in my sketch.

You mean to tell me there is no cap? So it is just a big open dish that collects sand and water? You may as well remove the air filter too. You have a good idea, you should try to parley this into a new profession. It's all part of the long term plan for GM...let dirt and water get in so the fuel filter plugs, then on the gas engine you have to drop the tank to replace it. If they are lucky dirt will get in the engine and will cause a failure.

No cap, just a springloaded flapper. What got me thinking was the road spray that was all over the area, even w/ the door closed. You can see a bit of it on the bottom of the opening of the box side & the bottom of the filler door in my previous pic.

Capless%20Fuel%20Filler_zpsqgbabnfu.jpg

Looking @ the capless fuel filler on a '13 F150 today & the Ford part is different, so I'm not sure if the Summit part would fit the GM pickups.

The opening is a bit oblong. A cap will cover things better than a plug. Just use the dimensions in my sketch.

No cap, just a springloaded flapper. What got me thinking was the road spray that was all over the area, even w/ the door closed. You can see a bit of it on the bottom of the opening of the box side & the bottom of the filler door in my previous pic.

Capless%20Fuel%20Filler_zpsqgbabnfu.jpg

It would be the shape of a conventional fuel cap, with an O-ring on the inside to keep dust out.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk