DVD REAR PLAYERS not working

Has anyone had problems with their Rear DVD not showing anything? I have a 2015 Yukon XL Denali that I custom ordered because I needed a second row bench seat. My middle row DVD player stopped working while it was still under warranty. They replaced the entire unit. One month over the part warranty (but many miles over the warranty) it has happened again and both rows won't show a picture unless you get it at a certain angle. My front player works great. It seems to be a loose wire but the dealer said they would need to replace both...at a total price is $1500. Anyone else dealt with this? I'd like to open it up myself but can't find a tear down yet.

• 1 month later...

Hello Sarah,

We’re sorry to hear about your rear DVD players. If you’re considering visiting your dealership, feel free to send us a private message. We’re always happy to provide an additional layer of support.

Thanks for being a valued GM customer, we greatly appreciate it!

Warm regards,

Anthony

GM Customer Care

• 4 weeks later...

Our 2015 Suburban is experiencing the same issue, back screen works, but middle does not. Took it to the dealership this morning, and they said either replace the screen ($700) or maybe its a loose connection.

Has anyone had any luck in troublshooting this? Would rather take it apart and reconnect a wire than purchasing a new screen

• 3 months later...

Same issue here. 2nd Row Screen is black. Front console and third row work perfectly fine but the 2nd row is null. IT does seem to have power of some sorts as its a backlit black screen. Three small kids and we've been using the DVD system for plenty of long road trips. Plan on taking to dealer. So far, this is just another issue with a 65K vehicle...

• 3 months later...

Same issue here, '15 Yukon XL Denali.  Quoted $700 to replace it.  If you open the screen slowly, there is a point where you can see video, it is clearly a ribbon connection issue.  Since I'm out of warranty, and GM could honestly give a rip about this lemon, I plan to take it apart and try and repair.  I've got my eye on a few other non-GM vehicles to trade this lemon in.

Same issue here. I figured it was the ribbon based on what others were saying. Dealer wanted 800 to replace. I took the unit down 4 screws and unplug 2 harnesses. Pulled the cover off and reversed the direction of the video ribbon. Issue fixed and it maybe took a total of 30 minutes. I did order a new ribbon on Ebay as a backup which cost about $20.00 it’s just a standard flat 40pin ribbon. 

Hopefully this helps. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone with second row overhead DVD issues in 2015+ GM suvs where the backlight works but no video, or you are unable to open the screen all the way without losing picture, the solution is easy. Remove, disassemble, and flip the 40 pin ribbon cable, reassemble, reinstall, and call it a day.

My 2015 Yukon XL Denali has just 50k on the ticker, and had this issue. GM is not standing behind the junk of a vehicle this has been within the two years of ownership, and I am not paying $700 to replace the second row DVD player.

I hope this helps someone with the same ridiculous problem. All you need is a Phillips screwdriver, a small flat-head, a ratchet/driver, and a 7mm socket.  This literally takes less than 30 minutes total to do.  

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I did, but no specifics on width/pitch/length or anything.  I should have measured and really taken a look at mine when I had it apart but was in a dang hurry because we were leaving on a 6-hour trip up to the time share and didn't want all three kids in the third row fighting. hahaha

I have a feeling this would work https://www.ebay.com/itm/Flat-Ribbon-cable-40-Pin-0-5mm-Pitch-200mm-long-FFC-FPC-Reverse-Direct-1pc/112412362149?hash=item1a2c4c85a5:g:EMUAAOSw-K9ZHqwL

Edited by 67firebird455

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same issue with my 2015 GMC Yukon.  I went to Amazon searching for my cable and found this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W8WAOKO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you look at the customer reviews, the first guy says he used it to repair his 2015 Chevy 2500.  I just ordered it myself, so hopefully it will get the job done.

For those of you doing this repair, I would also recommend you get a good pry tool for opening up the case around the screen.  This set has everything you should need.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PHNMEMC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

A screw driver and a putty knife will work, but you are probably going to scratch/damage the plastic in the process.  

It's a shame GM doesn't own up to this, given how wide spread it appears to be.

• Like 1

On 12/18/2017 at 9:51 AM, Mark Kelly said:

I'm having the same issue with my 2015 GMC Yukon.  I went to Amazon searching for my cable and found this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W8WAOKO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you look at the customer reviews, the first guy says he used it to repair his 2015 Chevy 2500.  I just ordered it myself, so hopefully it will get the job done.

For those of you doing this repair, I would also recommend you get a good pry tool for opening up the case around the screen.  This set has everything you should need.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PHNMEMC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

A screw driver and a putty knife will work, but you are probably going to scratch/damage the plastic in the process.  

It's a shame GM doesn't own up to this, given how wide spread it appears to be.

Need to post a correction to my post. I ordered the above cable and went to install it and the direction is backwards at least on my Yukon.  This is the cable you wan: Flat Ribbon cable 40 Pin 0.5mm Pitch 200mm long FFC/FPC Reverse Direction.  At least that's what mine needs, not the forward direction cable.