DVD REAR PLAYERS not working

On 11/30/2017 at 8:57 PM, 67firebird455 said:

Anyone with second row overhead DVD issues in 2015+ GM suvs where the backlight works but no video, or you are unable to open the screen all the way without losing picture, the solution is easy. Remove, disassemble, and flip the 40 pin ribbon cable, reassemble, reinstall, and call it a day.

My 2015 Yukon XL Denali has just 50k on the ticker, and had this issue. GM is not standing behind the junk of a vehicle this has been within the two years of ownership, and I am not paying $700 to replace the second row DVD player.

I hope this helps someone with the same ridiculous problem. All you need is a Phillips screwdriver, a small flat-head, a ratchet/driver, and a 7mm socket.  This literally takes less than 30 minutes total to do.  

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Thanks to your help and instructions, I took this challenge and successfully fixed my 2nd row display flipping the cable in about 25 minutes. Great job with the photos! It really works folks!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well, I was super excited about this being a quick fix, until I screwed it up.. :(

I couldn't get the ribbon out, so I kind of wiggled it and the top part broke off. (I'm really mad at myself for this one!!!)

Wondering if there is a way to make this work again, otherwise I have to buy a new board or re-solder a new connector? 

IMG_0172.JPG

IMG_0174.JPG

IMG_0175.JPG

Edited by edittman1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Unfortunately, I am not having the same luck. I just swapped in my replacement unit and the display doesn't show anything. Both of the lights work and the unit looks like new and the seller has a good reputation and claims to test them (though, I wish I knew how do to that and I would!) :(

I'm really at a loss now and have spend $150 to try and solve it and haven't gotten any further. Stinks. 

Any suggestions?

Is there anything I would need to do besides unplug those two cables and plug them back in? 

I"m sure it is possible the problem is elsewhere, but the dealer will probably charge me an arm and a leg to test that I'd guess..?

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 10:57 PM, 67firebird455 said:

Anyone with second row overhead DVD issues in 2015+ GM suvs where the backlight works but no video, or you are unable to open the screen all the way without losing picture, the solution is easy. Remove, disassemble, and flip the 40 pin ribbon cable, reassemble, reinstall, and call it a day.

My 2015 Yukon XL Denali has just 50k on the ticker, and had this issue. GM is not standing behind the junk of a vehicle this has been within the two years of ownership, and I am not paying $700 to replace the second row DVD player.

I hope this helps someone with the same ridiculous problem. All you need is a Phillips screwdriver, a small flat-head, a ratchet/driver, and a 7mm socket.  This literally takes less than 30 minutes total to do.  

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

You Still here

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Thanks for the thread, reference the 2nd row DVD screen not being displayed, I also bought the ribbon for about $5.00 not including shipping, and took most of the monitor down, but I wasn't sure on how to disassemble the screen, so I took it to a computer repair shop and watch him take it apart, so the total cost after paying him, and putting it back in my vehicle myself, total cost was $38.00, dollars a lot cheaper then what they wanted to charge at the dealership, they wanted $200.00, just to analyze it.

Thanks again for the post, it was a godsend, it works great now.

• 3 weeks later...

Do you guys think it's a complete cable failure? Also, you may want to place a piece of tape over the ribbon connector. I had a tablet where the display stopped working and the cable had just shimmied its way out over time. As long as you got the units open...

• 6 months later...

I had my entire middle row unit replaced 15 months ago (4 months after I bought it). Got into an accident last month and it quit working again. They say it isn't from the accident, but I find it odd that it just quit right after! I'm going to attempt to fix this myself, wish me luck! GM should really do something about this, definitely defective! I will never buy another GM again! What a lemon! I won't even get into the other 6 repairs in the first 7 months.... luckily was still under warranty then.

• 2 weeks later...