Turing off the remote locking tailgate?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Since JCF hasn't responded I'll take a crack at it.  The specific 8-wire connector that supports both the camera and the lock is located below the bed, near the spare tire, on the driver's side.  There are a number of 6 or 8 wire connectors anchored to a plastic connector mount at this location.  JCF did not make any changes here.  JCF apparently opened his tailgate, removed the tailgate latch service panel on the inside of the tailgate (about 10 torx screws) revealing the latching and locking mechanism.  Then he identified the lock/unlock solenoid and unplugged its 2-wire plug/harness.  Then he replaced the access cover and closed his tailgate...then tested and found good results.

He did not affect his camera by doing what he did. 

The 8 wire camera/lock connector debuted on 2016 trucks.  Previous model years use a 6-wire camera connector.

• 5 months later...
On 10/18/2018 at 7:02 PM, mmmikkke said:

Since JCF hasn't responded I'll take a crack at it.  The specific 8-wire connector that supports both the camera and the lock is located below the bed, near the spare tire, on the driver's side.  There are a number of 6 or 8 wire connectors anchored to a plastic connector mount at this location.  JCF did not make any changes here.  JCF apparently opened his tailgate, removed the tailgate latch service panel on the inside of the tailgate (about 10 torx screws) revealing the latching and locking mechanism.  Then he identified the lock/unlock solenoid and unplugged its 2-wire plug/harness.  Then he replaced the access cover and closed his tailgate...then tested and found good results.

He did not affect his camera by doing what he did. 

The 8 wire camera/lock connector debuted on 2016 trucks.  Previous model years use a 6-wire camera connector.

Does anyone know if the two wires for lock/unlock are there at the plug and just not pinned for it? I'd actually like to add the remote lock/unlock feature to my tailgate. Came out the other morning to head to work and my neighbors 14 Silverado was sitting on bricks and missing the tailgate, my truck was parked on the street that night, guess I got lucky. 

The wiring using the tailgate harness described in my previously posted comments is complete all the way to the tailgate handle and supports the camera (and the lock/unlock solenoid if your handle has the solenoid).  A waterproof 2 pin connector is also provided at the end of the harness so it's plug and play for connecting to the lock solenoid.

But if your factory truck is like my 2016 Silverado, the harness that came from the factory does not have locking tailgate as an RPO option, the "lock" wires are not present in the tailgate harness.  You will have to buy the tailgate harness like I did, as explained in my previous posts and in the upfitters guide.

• 8 months later...

Below are pictures of me disconnecting the tailgate power lock on my '18 Sierra SLE Elevation.  My backup camera still works.

1. Unscrew the tailgate panel to expose the handle assembly.

2. My bed has spray-in liner, but the screws came out easily.

3. Locate handle assembly in center of tailgate (red box)

4. Slide the gray hold pin of the electrical disconnect to the left (red box)

5. Slide the electrical disconnect to the left (red box). This will disconnect the power to the lock.

6. I used electrical tape to seal up the open electrical connections, and taped the electrical connection to the assembly so it doesn't rattle around.

DTPL1.jpg

DTPL2.jpg

DTPL3.jpg

DTPL4.jpg

DTPL5.jpg

DTPL6.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...