LED Cargo and Backup bulbs

Just FYI -- you will give different "color" explanations from different manufacturers. With that being said according to a true Kelvin color scale here are the main ones:

3500K -- warm white (yellowish like an incandescent or halogen bulb)

4500K -- pure white (this is the one closest to "white" that people are looking for)

5500K/6000K -- cool or bright white (this is where the bluish tint begins and is closer to Xenon headlights)

The best HID headlights I ever had were on my wife's Buick Enclave. They came from the factory at 4500K (and also articulated!) and were right on for pure white. Based on all this you should look for bulbs in the 4500K range if you don't want the bluish look.

Edited by sk

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

I installed BRIGHT LED bulbs in my cargo lights and in my reverse lights.  I noticed a week or two ago that my left reverse light is "hyperflashing."  🤬  At first, I thought it was flashing to the beat of the music I was playing.  🙃  When I looked into it this weekend, it looked like it was all the way in the socket.

8 hours ago, Ravenkeeper said:

D1174A23-1AEA-4945-9BFE-F67D6DABA101.MOV 625.3 kB · 47 downloads

I installed BRIGHT LED bulbs in my cargo lights and in my reverse lights.  I noticed a week or two ago that my left reverse light is "hyperflashing."  🤬  At first, I thought it was flashing to the beat of the music I was playing.  🙃  When I looked into it this weekend, it looked like it was all the way in the socket.

What brand did you go with? I installed Sylvania led bulbs and I haven't had any issues with them in the two years I've had them.

On 9/14/2021 at 5:30 AM, steelerdude15 said:

What brand did you go with? I installed Sylvania led bulbs and I haven't had any issues with them in the two years I've had them.

Not sure of the brand name, will have to look when I get home, still have the original bulbs in the bag, in a tote of stuff for/from my truck(s).  I think that they're Yorkim(?), I'll know for sure once I get home.  My luck with Sylvania is hit/miss.

• 1 month later...
On 9/14/2021 at 7:34 AM, steelerdude15 said:

I know this post is over two and a half years old, but can you tell me what your set up is for the in box lighting? Did you go with factory stuff and upgrade the bulbs or did you go with aftermarket?

That picture is actually just from the two white lights near the center high mount stop light. I have though since added cheap LED strips under the bed rails (so not factory) and I tied them in to the circuit for the lights mentioned above. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/15/2021 at 11:08 PM, Ravenkeeper said:

Not sure of the brand name, will have to look when I get home, still have the original bulbs in the bag, in a tote of stuff for/from my truck(s).  I think that they're Yorkim(?), I'll know for sure once I get home.  My luck with Sylvania is hit/miss.

I still haven't found the brand for the LEDs that I put in, BUT I had to reinstall my original reverse and cargo bulbs.  The left reverse light (even after installing a known good LED) was hyper-flashing after a few days, mind you, it took them a couple years to start that from when I installed them brand new.  When they were in the cargo light sockets, the left one burned out and the right one was flashing (1 second interval).  Moved the right cargo LED down to the left reverse light, and it was fine for about a week. 

Open to suggestions for the next set of LEDs that I put in those spots.

13 hours ago, Ravenkeeper said:

I still haven't found the brand for the LEDs that I put in, BUT I had to reinstall my original reverse and cargo bulbs.  The left reverse light (even after installing a known good LED) was hyper-flashing after a few days, mind you, it took them a couple years to start that from when I installed them brand new.  When they were in the cargo light sockets, the left one burned out and the right one was flashing (1 second interval).  Moved the right cargo LED down to the left reverse light, and it was fine for about a week. 

Open to suggestions for the next set of LEDs that I put in those spots.

Hey Raven, you can see the purchase date on these. I have had them in my truck since 2 days after the order date, and they are still going strong. 

search term on Amazon: Philips Automotive Lighting 921WLED Ultinon LED (White), 2 Pack

9FF93C3F-3675-4B9C-9D77-675934B6961F.png

• Like 1

11 hours ago, EpicLT said:

Hey Raven, you can see the purchase date on these. I have had them in my truck since 2 days after the order date, and they are still going strong. 

search term on Amazon: Philips Automotive Lighting 921WLED Ultinon LED (White), 2 Pack

9FF93C3F-3675-4B9C-9D77-675934B6961F.png

Night picture(s) with them in use?

22 hours ago, Ravenkeeper said:

Night picture(s) with them in use?

You can see I turned off the ceiling light in my garage in the second pic - all of this is from the third brake light LEDs. (You can see on the garage wall that my door opener light was on, but that only goes to the side dimly because my truck sits about 3 inches under it and blocks any light from the back of the garage)

C4B62932-3F67-45FE-BFF1-A15E22C377AA.jpeg

64D9F197-8CA4-449C-9382-A16E0CB757D9.jpeg

Edited by EpicLT

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/10/2019 at 10:20 AM, EpicLT said:

It won’t let me do more than 1 photo at a time. So here is before:

33C1FE5A-6F3B-4309-8EFE-124F139E31D9.jpeg

When I have this issue, I add as many as I can by editing my post.  Look at the size of the first photo that you post, and then look at the size of it when you go to edit in an additional photo.

• Like 1