2019 Chevrolet Silverado Photographed During Cold Weather Testing

Zane

If GM offered 4:30 gears in their 1500, they would probably do worse than Toyota. There was a towing test done with 5,000 pounds between a Chev 1500 and a Tundra, all the gimmicks only got 2 mpg better loaded , with less Power - 5.3 vs 5.7.

Those 2 MPG are HUGE when it comes to the CAFE standards though with the number of trucks that GM and Ford sells.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those 2 MPG are HUGE when it comes to the CAFE standards though with the number of trucks that GM and Ford sells.

Percentage wise, a 2 MPG on a truck is a much bigger bang for the buck improvement than a 5 MPG increase on a small car that already has fuel sipping economy.

I believe over half the trucks sold to individuals never do any truck work. Lets get real many are just used as daily drivers to and from work . Sure they used the bed ....went to wal mart and put new bar-b-cue grill in bed and brought home etc. Hell lot of them vever tow anything or ever leave pavement. Commercial buyers its a whole different ball game.

Has anyone ever looked underneath a Yota? The "bigger axle" isn't exactly beefy or cutting edge. Their transmission has different ratios, hence the difference in rear gearing. Even with AFM, I think I'd still rather have a 5.3 than that archiac 5.7.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The only thing I see that I don't like on these trucks spied, is the dam door mounted mirrors. Why not just stick with the style mounted flush to the door like the current truck? No...we go for a car style mounting a la Camaro, Corvette, Saturn Vue/Captiva...I have a feeling the tow mirrors will look strange as hell.

The only thing I see that I don't like on these trucks spied, is the dam door mounted mirrors. Why not just stick with the style mounted flush to the door like the current truck? No...we go for a car style mounting a la Camaro, Corvette, Saturn Vue/Captiva...I have a feeling the tow mirrors will look strange as hell.

I hope these spy pics are seriously deceiving, or they are going to ruin it, 100% grocery getter.

I hope these spy pics are seriously deceiving, or they are going to ruin it, 100% grocery getter.

..HD trucks have become grocery getters...the consumer market is the drive behind all the changes from all the truck OEMs. Sure, they engineer a strong truck, but not all the gadgetry is driven by those that actually USE their trucks. Look at the radios they have now in these things. Some changes are purposeful...EPS, AUTO 4x4, HID and LED lighting, but a lot if this stuff is driven by SUV and car consumers that want trucks. Platinum, High Country, Laramie Limited, Denali...look at the trim levels that have risen out of the change.

Also, some of the hardware changes are EPA/CAFE driven like EPS, AFM, high efficiency axle lubricants, 8, 10 speed transmissions, GDI, $20 a quart low viscosity full synthetic transmission fluids (the 8L90 and the 10R90 use some $$$$ fluids).

..HD trucks have become grocery getters...the consumer market is the drive behind all the changes from all the truck OEMs. Sure, they engineer a strong truck, but not all the gadgetry is driven by those that actually USE their trucks. Look at the radios they have now in these things. Some changes are purposeful...EPS, AUTO 4x4, HID and LED lighting, but a lot if this stuff is driven by SUV and car consumers that want trucks. Platinum, High Country, Laramie Limited, Denali...look at the trim levels that have risen out of the change.

Also, some of the hardware changes are EPA/CAFE driven like EPS, AFM, high efficiency axle lubricants, 8, 10 speed transmissions, GDI, $20 a quart low viscosity full synthetic transmission fluids (the 8L90 and the 10R90 use some $$$$ fluids).

So are the auto companies supposed to go against what their customers want? They are in the business of selling trucks to the most people possible, not building a stripped down rock crawler or tow rig that only enthusiasts on forums will talk about buying.

Better fluids = longer life. Look at the ZF-8 in the FIAT line up. Fluid is $43/L for the transmission, filter is integrated in to pan. Kiss away close to $1,000 for a fluid & filter change.

The new POTUS had said he would freeze or possibly scale back the EPA/CAFE regs as they are getting out of control.

The manufacturers cannot keep up, getting ridiculous.

I will not own an AFM/EPS vehicle unless my hand is forced, both are troublesome. At least the HD series from Ford and GM are devoid of this garbage, as is the Tundra's.

I absolutely hate how GM forces you to get every option under the sun to get the 6.2. I don't want any of that crap.

Look at atv's, EPS systems have been around for nearly a decade, looking at over $1,200 to replace a box once it goes. They are far from reliable, and for the mere pittance of MPG it may save on vehicles, I see no point.

I thought the same. only thing I dislikes so far.

I've never liked door mounted mirrors on any vehicle I've seen. The flush to the door style has always been my favorite.

Am I the only one who sees what seem to be four piston front calipers? They don't look like the typical 2 piston design they have used up until now on all full size trucks and suv's.

Sent from my SM-G550T using Tapatalk

Archived