Phil,

I have a 2015 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT. It currently has DL8 mirrors I want to go to DPN towing mirrors. I want to use the gm mirrors part number 23372182 - a kit with both mirrors. If I don't care about the turn signal and courtesy lights on the mirror - just want the manual folding, heated, and remote adjustment for the top mirror, do I need the harness or can I simply replace the mirrors and plug in? According to the GM instructions I dont need the RZY harness. I would order your harness later if all that needs to be replaced is the harness with no additional wiring. The GM instructions have you going into the engine compartment and running additional power wires. Does your harness avoid that, and would your harness activate the turn signals in and on the mirror and cargo/courtesy light? I'd really appreciate your help. Sounds as if you've figured this wiring out entirely.

You can install the mirrors without any change on the harness for now. Power Adjust and Heat will work. None of the lights will. You’ll need to swap door harnesses or modify yours with my DIY Kit. The RZY is only needed if your door jamb connector on the cabin side is missing pins 9 and 11. Most trucks have pin 41 (unless you have manual crank windows).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phil,

I have a 2015 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT. It currently has DL8 mirrors I want to go to DPN towing mirrors. I want to use the gm mirrors part number 23372182 - a kit with both mirrors. If I don't care about the turn signal and courtesy lights on the mirror - just want the manual folding, heated, and remote adjustment for the top mirror, do I need the harness or can I simply replace the mirrors and plug in? According to the GM instructions I dont need the RZY harness. I would order your harness later if all that needs to be replaced is the harness with no additional wiring. The GM instructions have you going into the engine compartment and running additional power wires. Does your harness avoid that, and would your harness activate the turn signals in and on the mirror and cargo/courtesy light? I'd really appreciate your help. Sounds as if you've figured this wiring out entirely.

You can install the mirrors without any change on the harness for now. Power Adjust and Heat will work. None of the lights will. You’ll need to swap door harnesses or modify yours with my DIY Kit. The RZY is only needed if your door jamb connector on the cabin side is missing pins 9 and 11. Most trucks have pin 41 (unless you have manual crank windows).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey PGamboa, thanks for the time you have taken to explain the details and make videos to make these processes as easy as possible.

Watching your video I wonder how deep into a job I will have to get to change from DL3 mirrors on my 2014 Chevy Silverado LTZ to towing mirrors with power fold. With the LTZ I have all the options already and I am hoping it would just plug and play.

Power fold, heated, power adjust, dimmer, memory, down mirrors upon reverse etc.

Do you have any information on that specific year and how far into the wiring I will have to go?

Hi Phil - I have a 2019 Silverado LD ( built 6/19 )  has DL8 mirrors with heat , like to switch to DL3 with everything . What do I need 

1. DL3 mirror's  2. Switch ,  3. Hardness ???  Any information will be helpful . Thanks

22 hours ago, RCrane2014 said:

Hey PGamboa, thanks for the time you have taken to explain the details and make videos to make these processes as easy as possible.

Watching your video I wonder how deep into a job I will have to get to change from DL3 mirrors on my 2014 Chevy Silverado LTZ to towing mirrors with power fold. With the LTZ I have all the options already and I am hoping it would just plug and play.

Power fold, heated, power adjust, dimmer, memory, down mirrors upon reverse etc.

Do you have any information on that specific year and how far into the wiring I will have to go?

You'll need to swap door harness AND install the RZY Harness (Part # 23387133).  The RZY harness is installed inside the cabin (hits both door jambs to land pins 9 and 11), lands into the X61A junction box (cargo lights), and under the hood X50A Fuse Block (running lights).  There are videos for both of these installations.

Here are links to the products from my site - https://harnessdr.com/product/2014-2019-dl3-tow-mirror-upgrade-pnp-harness/

https://harnessdr.com/product/tow-mirror-cabin-under-the-hood-jumper-harness-part-23387133/

And links to videos

21 hours ago, slj2008 said:

Hi Phil - I have a 2019 Silverado LD ( built 6/19 )  has DL8 mirrors with heat , like to switch to DL3 with everything . What do I need 

1. DL3 mirror's  2. Switch ,  3. Hardness ???  Any information will be helpful . Thanks

Yes - All correct.  The switch (Part # 23154702) is on National Backorder.  I've been told GM discontinued this part # and superseded it.  This means, we wait for manufacturing to build the new superseded part #.  The harness can be purchased on my website here - https://harnessdr.com/product/2014-2019-dl8-dl3-mirror-upgrade-pnp-harness/ Or you can get my DIY Kit if you want to modify your harnesses yourself - https://harnessdr.com/product/2014-2019-dl8-dl3-diy-kit/

2 minutes ago, silveradosid said:

i have had my tow mirrors on for 6 months and just discovered that i can operate the mirrors without the key in the ignition, is this normal

Yes - This is because there is constant battery power in the doors.

I have a 2014 Suburban LT 1500 with DL 8 mirrors.  Would I need a new harness if I add integrated turn signals, puddle lights or power folding?  Are the existing wiring harnesses  okay for this.  There are some mirror glass only upgrades that would appear to make this easy if so.

@pgamboa  Phil,  I finally got around to installing the mirrors and your harness.  My question is, the memory buttons are those the ones above the inside door handle? (I would have to buy this)  Also, I have a power seat but do I just need the memory buttons to use the full functionality for mirrors and seat or do I have to change this power seat as well?  I don't have the one pictured.

1476382263_DoorHandleControlButtons.jpg.4c33b6ac3a5eb118f7b544a8747c5670.jpg

Edited by BluEyeItln

There is lots of great information on this thread that has helped me do a DPN to DQS upgrade on my 2018 Sierra SLE with a gas engine. I do not have the mirror and seat memory option (A45) which makes a difference. I thought I’d share my experience in hopes of helping out the next guy.

My truck came with the non-power folding towing mirrors (DPN) and I upgraded to the power folding towing mirrors (DQS). Other than the power folding potion, these mirrors are identical. My driver’s door wiring harness 84290984, the body harness, and the passenger harness all  had the power folding wires so I did not have to change any wiring. Sorry, I forgot to grab the passenger harness number when I has the door panel off. The only parts I needed were the mirrors (driver – 84691681, and passenger – 84228892) and the power folding switch 23154702 (which has been superseded by 84643953). The passenger mirror is different for gas versus diesel  engines as the mirror for diesel  has a temperature sensor used for engine braking.

As Phil noted at the beginning of this thread, there are two different switches for power folding mirrors. I needed 23154702 (or 84643953) which is required when you do not have the seat/mirror memory because there is discrete wiring from the switch to the mirrors. The other switch (23488411) is used when you have the memory option and the switch communicates with the BCM through serial data bus 8 and the BCM controls the mirrors. Mine did not have wiring for the serial data bus 8. I found the wiring diagram for my truck at https://www.gmupfitter.com/.

The switch I needed was on back order, and apparently had been for a while, so I opted to pick one up from the scrap yard and had to find a vehicle with DL3 or DQS (both power folding) that did not have A45 (memory option). I didn’t figure out which vehicles this switch had been used on, but the one I found was from a 2014 Yukon.

In order to figure out what harness I had, I opened my door panels before I ordered parts. Once I figured it out and had the parts in hand, the actual conversion was relatively simple. It took me an hour and a half to do the swap (keep in mind I had already taken the panels off once before so it was faster the second time). Phil has posted excellent videos on how to take door panels off and install the mirrors.

How do you get the Upper Trim back in?  I didn't see that on the video and I cannot get it to stay.  Were there tabs on the trim?  I see spots on there where they could have been and worry that they broke off.