4 hours ago, Flameout said:

I'm going to be needing tow mirrors within the next month for my 2017 and my only hold up is power folding or manual folding. (Well that and whether to go with OEM, BoostAuto or the 1Aautoparts mirrors)

Has anyone here bought manual folding and then regretted not getting power folding or bought power folding and realized you really didn't need that option? 

Power folding without question.  Tow mirrors stick out further by at least 2-3" on both sides if not extended.  Even if it's on a rare occurrence, hitting a button to fold them in for clearance for any reason is worth it instead of having to stop and either reach all the way over or get out to fold in the passenger mirror if you don't have a passenger or rolling down the driver's window to fold in the driver's mirror.  Me personally, I'd also stick with OEM as some have complained of looseness with some aftermarket mirrors and the slight movement annoys them greatly.

• 1 month later...

hello, Phil. i have a 2016 chevy Silverado and have a opportunity to get a pair of factory side mirrors off of a 2018 gmc stl Sierra. these are power fold, heated, turning signal and puddle lights. i would like to know if they would fit my truck and if so i would like to purchase a harness from you. how can i contact you? Thanks. [email protected] or 4074216545 Jimmy 

Edited by jimmy sanchez

On 6/25/2020 at 5:29 PM, Combine Pilot said:

I have a 2015 GMC Sierra Denali HD with the tow mirrors like the older HD trucks had. Can I install the newer style tow mirrors and have all the lights work properly or is a harness or modifications required?

You'll need harnesses more than likely, including the RZY harness.

8 hours ago, jimmy sanchez said:

hello, Phil. i have a 2016 chevy Silverado and have a opportunity to get a pair of factory side mirrors off of a 2018 gmc stl Sierra. these are power fold, heated, turning signal and puddle lights. i would like to know if they would fit my truck and if so i would like to purchase a harness from you. how can i contact you? Thanks. [email protected] or 4074216545 Jimmy 

The mirrors will physically fit but depending on your Silverado, you may need more parts to get full functionality.

Go to Phil's website: https://harnessdr.com

@pgamboa

Edited by BlkSS

I am currently on vacation until 7/6 for some time off. I’ll respond to website inquiries as I am able to.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
Can I go from DE2 mirrors (manual everything) to the DL3 mirrors? Or is that impossible?

If you have power windows, yes. It is possible. Contact me at HarnessDR.com for more info.

Picked up some dl3 of a 18 Sierra denali for 100 bucks off fb marketplace last night now to order the harness1fd79ae33e260c8e2abb8eef859f948e.jpgdeb423d5da36e8d4377c296c81558e1e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Here you go.

https://harnessdr.com/product/2014-2019-dl8-dl3-mirror-upgrade-pnp-harness/

Please note the lead time banner on the site.

Thanks,

Phil

• Like 1

So, I have a question and I’m in need of assistance and I would be willing to pay or even send you or someone my factory core harnesses for you to use to make new harnesses in return as my wife did not purchase these items from you.  I have a 2017 GMC sierra base model Canadian version if that makes a difference it had manual mirrors no power mirror no folding mirror no nothing I have no memory seats it’s not a diesel nothing like that my wife got me the upgraded door harnesses she bought me factory GM tow mirrors. I have a 2017 GMC sierra base model Canadian version if that makes a difference it had manual mirrors no power mirror no folding mirror no nothing I have no memory seats it’s not a diesel nothing like that my wife got me the upgraded door harnesses she bought me factory GM tow mirrors 23351800k. I also got the extra little smaller door harness as well it came with a new bezel and new switch.  Basically I plugged everything in everything works as it should I have the cargo lamp I have my front marker light and I have my turn signal light in the glass but I don’t have any power mirror options the only thing I notice is that the basil in the switch or for power folding power mirrors I can’t really tell but I’m pretty sure the mirrors that I have or manual folding power mirrors with this make a difference? Do I need to order a new basil in new switch? I looked at your jumper harness but it looks like that’s only for turn signals and cargo lamp etc. which are working for me just not the power mirrors LOL which is of course the funks and I really wanted.  Basically I plugged everything in everything works as it should I have the cargo lamp I have my front marker light and I have my turn signal light in the glass but I don’t have any power mirror options the only thing I notice is that the bezel in the switch are for power folding power mirrors I can’t really tell but I’m pretty sure the mirrors that I have or manual folding power mirrors with this make a difference? Do I need to order a new basil in new switch? I looked at your jumper harness but it looks like that’s only for turn signals in cargo lamp etc. which are working for me just not the power mirrors LOL which is of course the function I really wanted  I’ve looked at your videos and photos etc. I didn’t have to force any connectors in place or anything everything plugged in smoothly nice and easy. Honestly I don’t think it took me even 45 minutes to do all of the work for both doors

Edited by Gary1854
Errors

What if I just wanted the turn signal upgrade? Can I just replace mirror glass? Or does the harness pin out on my D8's lack turn signal power for mirror glass? It blows my mind GM would go to the expense of having two different harnesses for the D3 and D8. I was hoping I could just swap the glass, as I don't care about power fold or puddle lamps.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/22/2017 at 3:55 PM, pgamboa said:

All,

Due to the overwhelming interest in folks wanting to upgrade their mirrors, I wanted to start this thread, hopefully, with all the information pertaining to the process of upgrading your mirrors, the different mirror types, the GM supported upgrade path, the non-GM supported upgrade path, what all is involved, and any known issues.

I receive about 15-20 PMs daily around this upgrade. I will try to respond to all as I am able to. Please read through this entire 1st post in its entirety as I hope it answers all your questions. I also hope that this thread is your “one-stop shop” for all questions surrounding this upgrade.

I have spent MANY months (since June 2016) trying to understand these mirrors and what all is involved to make the upgrade successful. Like many of you reading this thread, you have probably spent countless hours researching online, reading threads upon threads, and watching YouTube videos for some info and guidance. For those that have tried this upgrade on your own, you have probably ended up with the same results of something not working correctly, which ultimately landed you back here on the Forum.

I have helped numerous members here achieve the same upgrade desires with success. This started out with me wanting to upgrade the standard DL8 Mirrors on my 2016 Silverado, 1500, LT, CCSB, 5.3L Gas Truck. I have helped members with Standard DL8 Mirrors upgrade to DL3 Mirrors as well as members wanting to upgrade to Towing Mirrors.

So, let’s get started…

Mirror Types:

DE2 Mirrors - These are the basic mirrors found on W/T Trucks. They do not have power anything. They are manual adjust, manual fold, etc.

DL8 Mirrors – These are the most common mirrors found on LT/SLE trucks and are the next level from DE2 Mirrors. DL8 Mirrors are Heated, Power Adjust, and Manual Fold. If your truck has 1LT/2LT options, this will most likely be the same mirror.

DL3 Mirrors – These are mirrors are the “Premium” version to the DL8 Mirrors that most folks are wanting to upgrade to. These mirrors are typically found on your higher trim LTZ/High Country and SLT/Denali trucks. These mirrors are: Heated, Power Adjust, Power Fold, Turn Signal, Puddle Lamps, and Auto Dim (Driver’s Side).

Towing Mirrors – These mirrors are the larger mirrors designed to help with towing. These mirrors can be found as options in some 2500/3500 Heavy Duty Trucks. They come in (2) main flavors.

• DPN – These are Manually Folding, Manually Extending, Heated, Turn Signal, Cargo (also referred to as Courtesy Lamps), and Clearance Lamps (also referred to as Park/Running Lamps)
  • DQS – These are essentially the same as DPN except they are Power Folding and supports Mirror Memory if your truck has this feature.

Aftermarket Towing Mirrors – There are TONS of aftermarket options out there. The result should be the same (for the most part) on the upgrade. The way that manufactures “pin” their connectors, they typically pin them the same as the GM - OEM ones. Watch out for any Manufacture that says they have the “option” of adding a separate harness or connector for added functionality. If it’s not already in the connector, I would stay away from those or contact me for mirror connector customization.

[/url]

Note: RPO Code - K40 Option (Exhaust Brake) for Diesel Trucks. If you have a Diesel Truck, you will NEED to get the appropriate DL3, DPN, DQS Mirror WITH the K40 Option. This is basically a temperature sensor on the passenger side mirror. Without this, you will get a Check Engine Light (CEL) error come on with an “Ambient Temperature” message on your DIC (Driver Information Center). This is NOT an issue with Gas Trucks. You can install a passenger mirror with the temperature sensor on a gas truck with no issue (I am using a K40 optioned DL3 Mirror on my truck).

Here is a video I put together on the entire process. This video covers the following:

• Removing the Door Panel
  • Removing the Door Harness
  • Installing the Power Fold Switch

[/url]GM Supported Upgrade Path – Upgrade DL8 or DL3 Mirrors to Towing Mirrors:

49e9b5ec5facc57dcab1f391723b41bb.jpg 

If you do need the RZY Harness, I created a "How To" Installation Video here:

Here is an additional video showing the detail of the RZY Harness.

Non-GM Supported Upgrade Path – Upgrade DL8 Mirrors to DL3 Mirrors.

926c72a521d7707fa65bffdce883ed4b.jpg  

2014 – Known Issue:

0ccd9615b9d457f7a7151b42a689ba13.jpg 

WT/LS – Trim Owners:

Custom Plug and Play Harnesses – $285 Shipped to (50 US States - for Canada, please add $47.95)

Custom DIY Kit – $65 Shipped (Ships First Class Mail with Tracking - for Canada, please add $10)

af5f862900deda6d40a4ccab4ae5b89e.jpg 

I will also provide you with ANY information regarding this upgrade even you don't buy from me. My goal is to help everyone achieve their mirror upgrade goals.

If you decide to move forward with ANY purchase or if you have additional questions, please let me know. It is helpful to know all the details of your truck to provide the best possible solution.

For example:

2016 Silverado, LT, 1500, Crew Cab, 5.3L Gas.

Thanks, everyone! Hope to help as many people as I can to achieve this upgrade!

Please enjoy this Time Lapse Video to get an idea of what is involved with the customization of the harness. Each set takes about 1hr to modify, plus another hour test. So a completed set is roughly 3 hrs to build and test.

How to remove the DL8/DL3 Mirror Caps.

How to remove Tow Mirror Caps.

Where can I purchase the DIY kit?