Leather seat finish wearing off at 20kmiles

My driver seat leather coating/finish is wearing off the seat bottom. Will GM replace the seat bottom under warranty? I am still withing the 36 months. Or would this be considered wear and tear.

I was shocked I clean and condition the seats every month with Wolfgang from autogeek which has no silicones or petroleum distilates.

I do want Katzkin in the future after I pay some bills.

Depending on where it's wearing out, it may be from getting in and out of the vehicle my turning in place. If you don't have one, maybe look at a drivers side assist handle for the a pillar. I just ordered one yesterday, and although I did not order it for this reason, it can help stop this kind of wear and tear.

Hello Payton34,

I’m sorry to hear that your seat finish is wearing off and certainly understand how frustrating this could be. Feel free to send us a private message if you plan on scheduling a service appointment with your preferred dealer.

Thanks for being a valued customer, we look forward to hearing from you!

Regards,

Anthony

GM Customer Care

The wear is in the middle of the seat. It looks like the coating that goes on top of the leather is flaking off, the spots that are worn look like suede now. I would think if if was from getting in and out the wear would be on the edge. I have a driver side handle I use and I'm not an oversized guy.

The wear is in the middle of the seat. It looks like the coating that goes on top of the leather is flaking off, the spots that are worn look like suede now. I would think if if was from getting in and out the wear would be on the edge. I have a driver side handle I use and I'm not an oversized guy.

Pics?

Have you used any conditioner or other care products on the seats? Just asking as if you did that may have caused this condition and people may not want to use the products you used. Hopefully they will replace the covers under warranty for you.

Edited by Blue Sierra Owner

I use wolfgang leather cleaner and conditioner once a month. I have used this on my last 2 trucks also with no issues. The wolfgang doesn't have any petroleum distolates or silicones and is natural water based. I think if it was caused by the cleaner or conditioner my other seats would have the same problem.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Was at the dealer today and service writer said it is wear and tear but at 20k miles it's unusual so he had to get approved from his manager. He went in her office and she never even came out to look at it and told him no it's not covered it is a wear and tear item I think it's BS. I clean and condition seats monthly and my last 2 trucks with leather never did this.

Edited by Payton34

How does leather wear off? I have leather coats that are years old that have never had the leather wear off. Is it really leather or an feau leather, pleather? I have never seen the leather of a 60k Lexus wear off at even 4x that mileage.

I have taken care of the seats same as I have on last 2 trucks with leather. The dealer even told me to clean and condition once a month and this wouldn't have happened. I told them I already do and what I use. I know factory leather is a low quality but it should hold up atleast through the 3yr/36k warranty. When I looked closer it looks like the spots were the die or coating (whatever it is) is just begining to come off is around the perforations and over time spreads

Edited by Payton34