Goodbye HD...

Hello Colorado Diesel?!?!?!?!?

Yep!

Pics to follow soon, but it is official as of last night. Got a killer deal at work on a 2016 Midnight Z71 Crew Cab Standard Box. This would be a first for me for a couple things...A). First midsize truck, B). First black truck and C). First diesel. Leather, nav, all the safety gizmos...

Looking forward to it for sure. Ever since I totaled my first truck back in 2011, the emotional attachment side of owning some vehicles has been lost to me. And I may or may not have been getting tired of filling up 26 gallons of a 36 gallon tank once a week at 11-13 mpg.

Sticker was $46,6XX, got it for $34,900. Our last 2016 Chevy on the lot all together. It was bonus tagged and GM dealer employee.

• 2 weeks later...
Darn snow storms. I would have uploaded via Photobucket but it was being dumb.

IMG 9606

IMG 9608

IMG 9607

Just under 900 miles on it so far. 46 when I picked it up. Filled up twice (lots of idle time warming up). First tank netted 415 miles when I filled (17 gallons), and I still had over 100 miles range left. DIC was 25.2mpg, hand calculated was 24.1mpg. Second tank was 23.8. First regen was at 547 miles, just had one last night, I think 880 miles on the odometer? So the second one happened sooner than the first. No signs really that its doing it unless you are stopped at a light. The Idle RPM will go up about 200-300 RPM. Typical idle is 700rpm. In the 65 miles I put on last night, the trip economy was 27.6mpg until the regen hit, then it dropped to 24.5. Back up to 25mpg today for this trip reset.

cant beat that mileage!

I can tell you what I do miss so far...clean fuel pumps! Man those diesel/gas combo islands are filthy. I have a box of disposable gloves with me for filling up as most of the stations that used to have Diesel Mitts don't any more. Not sure how the heck people get diesel fuel all over everything. The hose, the nozzle, the buttons, the number pad. WTF?!?!

Wow, what a great deal! How is is coming from a large truck to a mid size? I love the look of the Colorado, but at 6'6" I don't know if I could drive one on a daily basis. Great looking truck, enjoy it!

Not as bad of a transition as you would think. Ergonomically its very Silverado. Steering wheel, turn signal stalk, radio, cluster, door panels and switches. Very quick to adapt to. Size wise, looking at them parked somewhere they are very GMT-400 at a quick glance. I've yet to compare the specs to one, but I bet they aren't far off. And having been in my friend's 95 and his stock 98 he had, I feel not that far off.

Visibility is just as good as a Silverado I think, and even looking forward to traffic ahead, sure, you aren't quite as high, but the view is better than any of the crossovers I've ever driven at work. Way more 7/8s Silverado than Traverse or even Equinox. I found my HD easy to drive, and this just as easy if not easier.

Even as far as build quality, I think its better than my HD which was an early 2015 build.

Not as bad of a transition as you would think. Ergonomically its very Silverado. Steering wheel, turn signal stalk, radio, cluster, door panels and switches. Very quick to adapt to. Size wise, looking at them parked somewhere they are very GMT-400 at a quick glance. I've yet to compare the specs to one, but I bet they aren't far off. And having been in my friend's 95 and his stock 98 he had, I feel not that far off.

Visibility is just as good as a Silverado I think, and even looking forward to traffic ahead, sure, you aren't quite as high, but the view is better than any of the crossovers I've ever driven at work. Way more 7/8s Silverado than Traverse or even Equinox. I found my HD easy to drive, and this just as easy if not easier.

Even as far as build quality, I think its better than my HD which was an early 2015 build.

first thing I compared it to.. my gmt 400.

I love that appearance, the canyon gmc duramax I found was gone in one day, but did pull up next to it to get a look. The front may even sit taller than my k1500

nice truck, glad you got a good deal.

I would hope to get one.

Some comparison:

1995 1500 Extended Cab:

WHEELBASE - 141.5

OVERALL LENGTH - 218.4

HEIGHT - 73.8

HEADROOM FRT/REAR - 39.9/37.5

LEG ROOM FRT/REAR - 41.7/34.8

SHOULDER ROOM FRT/REAR - 65.4/67.6

HIP ROOM FRT/REAR - 60/64.2

Outside body width w/o mirrors - 76.43

2016 Colorado CCSB:

WHEELBASE - 128.3

OVERALL LENGTH - 212.7

HEIGHT - 70.6

HEADROOM FRT/REAR - 41.4/38.3

LEG ROOM FRT/REAR - 45/35.8

SHOULDER ROOM FRT/REAR - 57.5/56.2

HIP ROOM FRT/REAR - 55/53.3

Outside body width w/o mirrors - 74.3

• 4 weeks later...

2600 mile update:

Still awesome. Little guy scoots when you hit the boost in the torque band. You can feel the pull quite well. Anything over 3000rpm and it starts to huff and puff. MPG is still in the 25-27mpg per tank, about 400-450miles per fill. Have added zero DEF since purchase. I think 5-7 regens so far? All passive ones (meaning no warning on the dash saying you have to drive at 55mph until the message clears). GM may state that they go un-noticed but you can tell. Idle RPM jumps up roughly 200rpm, and live MPG will drop to 18-22 at 30-70mph compared to normal.

• 1 month later...

I keep a roll of paper towels under my back seat in case the gas station doesn't have any next to the pump. The problem is that the diesel smell is difficult to get rid of once it's on your hands. I've had good luck using paper towels... I put one over the handle on the pump.

I can tell you what I do miss so far...clean fuel pumps! Man those diesel/gas combo islands are filthy. I have a box of disposable gloves with me for filling up as most of the stations that used to have Diesel Mitts don't any more. Not sure how the heck people get diesel fuel all over everything. The hose, the nozzle, the buttons, the number pad. WTF?!?!

5400 mile update. No issues other than the airbag paper crunching sound. I've yet to do the procedure GM has to stop it (grease the horn spring). I have added zero DEF since I got it, and the level is still OK so haven't even hit the countdown yet. Best tank was 27.7 MPG DIC and was over 500 miles, I think 540?

• 4 months later...

11000 miles update.

Added DEF at 7600 miles.  Wanted to see if I could get to 8000 before any of the speed limiters hit, but I didn't want to risk it.

Got to tow with it twice now.  Man does it pull great!  Handles a snowmobile trailer better than my 2012 1500 did.  Pulled my sled home a few weeks ago, and just the other day I brought home a 2009 John Deere X720 on the trailer.  That was a good tow as that tractor had to have been close to 1000lbs, especially with the wheel weights in it.  Got 23mpg average pulling it, 20 mile trip back home.  Exhaust brake works excellent with a load on it. 

Archived