Collapsed lifter AFM issue

My Silverado 5.3 cre cab was at dealer again for air conditioner issue. I picked it up drove 1/4 mile and all hell broke loose every light light up and it went into safe mode very loud knock started. Drove back and the service manager thought a bad wire or plug.turns out its a colapsed lifter. They are only replacing that lifter nothing else. I would think they would at least do the whole side. Any thoughts or suggestions would be great. Thank you

I had my 2014 Silverado crew cab at dealer again for warranty work. When I drove off I got 1/4 mile and the truck went into safe mode and all the lights went off. I turned around and service manager thought it was a plug wire. Turns out its a colapsed lifter. They will only replace that lifter. Any suggestions please.

Have your dealer read into this document 15-06-01-002E.

Condition

Some customers may comment on a malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on and/or an engine misfire/tick noise.

Technicians may find DTC P0300 set or in history.

Cause

This may be the result of an active fuel management (AFM) lifter that is mechanically collapsed and/or stuck all of the time.

This may be the result of internal locking pin damage in the lifter, due to oil aeration.

This may be the result of a lifter that has collapsed and is stuck in the lifter bore.

Correction

Note: Inspect the camshaft for damage while the lifters are removed from the engine. If damage is found, replace the camshaft per SI.

If SI diagnosis does not isolate the cause of this concern, technicians should inspect for valve operation.

If the valve(s) are not moving, replace the valve lifter oil manifold and affected bank of AFM lifters. Refer to Valve Lifter Oil Manifold Replacement and Valve Lifter Replacement in SI.

If the lifter has spun the bore, the guides should also be replaced.

• Thanks 1

You at correct they should be replacing the affected bank of lifters and the OLM along with inspecting the camshaft and replacing if damaged

ENGINE MISFIRE/TICK NOISE, MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP (MIL) ILLUMINATED, DTC P0300 SET TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
Reference Number(s): 15-06-01-002E, Date of Issue: Oct 13, 2016
Affected Model(s): 2015-2017 Cadillac Escalade 2016-2017 Cadillac CTS-V 2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2014-2017 Chevrolet Corvette 2015-2017 Chevrolet Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe 2016-2017 Chevrolet Camaro 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 2015-2017 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL Equipped with 5.3L Engine (RPO L83) or 6.2L Engine (RPO L86, LT1, LT4, LV3) Attention: This Bulletin also applies to any of the above models that may be Export from North America vehicles. Supercedes: This Bulletin has been revised to add the 2017 Model Year and replaces PIP5316. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 15-06-01-002D and PIP5316.

CONDITION

Some customers may comment on a malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on and/or an engine misfire/tick noise.

Technicians may find DTC P0300 set or in history.

CAUSE

This may be the result of an active fuel management (AFM) lifter that is mechanically collapsed and/or stuck all of the time.

This may be the result of internal locking pin damage in the lifter, due to oil aeration.

This may be the result of a lifter that has collapsed and is stuck in the lifter bore.

CORRECTION
NOTE:

Inspect the camshaft for damage while the lifters are removed from the engine. If damage is found, replace the camshaft per SI.

If SI diagnosis does not isolate the cause of this concern, technicians should inspect for valve operation.

If the valve(s) are not moving, replace the valve lifter oil manifold and affected bank of AFM lifters. Refer to Valve Lifter Oil Manifold Replacement and Valve Lifter Replacement in SI.

If the lifter has spun the bore, the guides should also be replaced.

RECOMMENDATION/INSTRUCTIONS

There are two approved processes for removing the lifter when stuck in the bore.

1. Use vice grips with a slide hammer.
  2. NOTE:

Be sure not to pry on the sealing surface of the block.

Use vice grips with a small pry bar.

Typically one of the above approved processes will remove the lifter that is stuck in the bore. If not, the engine will need to be replaced.

With the lifter removed, be sure to inspect the bore for any damage. Typically the lifter bores will look good with no indication of damage.

PARTS INFORMATION

Part Number Description 12660737 MANIFOLD ASM-VLV LFTR OIL (SERV KIT) (L83, L86, or LT1) 12660736 MANIFOLD ASM-VLV LFTR OIL (SERV KIT) (LT4) 12623104 GASKET-VLV LFTR OIL UPR MANIF 12645725 LIFTER ASM-VLV (AFM) (4 per Bank) 12659260 GASKET-CYL HD (6.2L) 12622325 GASKET-CYL HD (5.3L) 11546959 RIGHT SIDE CYLINDER HEAD BOLTS (10) 11611976 LEFT SIDE CYLINDER HEAD BOLT (1) 11546959 LEFT SIDE CYLINDER HEAD BOLTS (9) 12657093 GASKET-EXH MANIF 12626354 GASKET-INT MANIF (8) 12619787 GASKET-VLV RKR ARM CVR 12623308 GASKET-F/PMP BRKT 12618336 PIPE ASM-FUEL FEED INTER 12618337 PIPE ASM-FUEL FEED INTER 12618338 PIPE ASM-FUEL FEED 12668553 SEAL KIT-F/INJR (O RING) (2)

WARRANTY INFORMATION

For vehicles repaired under the Powertrain coverage, use the following labor operation. Reference the Applicable Warranties section of Investigate Vehicle History (IVH) for coverage information.

Labor Operation Description Labor Time 4080978* Valve Lifter Oil Manifold and Valve Lifter Left Side Replacement 9.4 hrs (Silverado, Sierra) 14.8 hrs (CTS-V) 9.2 hrs (Escalade, Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon) 11.7 hrs (Corvette) 7.0 hrs (Camaro) 4080988* Valve Lifter Oil Manifold and Valve Lifter Right Side Replacement 10.9 hrs (Silverado, Sierra) 15.5 hrs (CTS-V) 9.3 hrs (Escalade, Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon) 11.4 hrs (Corvette) 9.0 hrs (Camaro) *This is a unique Labor Operation for Bulletin use only.

I had my 2014 Silverado crew cab at dealer again for warranty work. When I drove off I got 1/4 mile and the truck went into safe mode and all the lights went off. I turned around and service manager thought it was a plug wire. Turns out its a colapsed lifter. They will only replace that lifter. Any suggestions please.

Edited by ndestounis

Service Manager refused to do anything else besides replace the lifter that collapsed. Would not look up bulletin on the issue. Said the warranty would back any other issues. Not sure what else I can do at this point.

Service Manager refused to do anything else besides replace the lifter that collapsed. Would not look up bulletin on the issue. Said the warranty would back any other issues. Not sure what else I can do at this point.

Make a copy of the bulletin as provided in the previous posts and show it to the service manager. Ask why he isn't doing what GM states should be done. Escalate issue to dealership General Manager and then to local GM ombudsman (or whatever they are called today). Seems like a known problem with a well-documented solution. Good luck.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Help new here and...My 2015 Sierra Crew Cab All terrain model has collapsed lifter out of warranty. What do you all recommend? No help from GM complaint line. I’ve only had oil changes done at dealerships and only burn premium gasoline. 

Edited by 2015 GMC Sierra Crew Cab

@2017SierraSLT Thank you! Unfortunately we moved across the country and have not established a relationship with this dealership except for a couple oil changes. I’ve called GM complaint and working with them hopefully better news than what this Moran Buick GMC service dept is telling me. $3200 for collapsed lifters and head gaskets. 

[mention=123983]2017SierraSLT[/mention] Thank you! Unfortunately we moved across the country and have not established a relationship with this dealership except for a couple oil changes. I’ve called GM complaint and working with them hopefully better news than what this Moran Buick GMC service dept is telling me. $3200 for collapsed lifters and head gaskets. 
Don't you still have a warranty?

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk