Collapsed lifter AFM issue

I dunno. It was driving like complete garbage before i put the air filter on.  That's the reason iput it on. there is absolutely no reason for that truck to be dropping in cylinders when you're driving in City traffic. I don't care what anybody says it's not good for it and it's not good for gas mileage at all. There something not right. And i can't handle it anymore. I hate it!  Wish i did my research bout AFM dod. Before i bought this truck.  We should have to buy a range or a disabler because Chevy wants to try some new energy-saving bullshit

The whole point of AFM is to increase fuel efficiency.  I don't like it either but understand why, government regulations forced them into this option.  That means, the knuckleheads we send to Washington eventually caused this.  It's our fault for letting it happen.

Now, back to your truck.  Newdude's advice is spot on but I'll add something else that AFM looks for, vacuum.  It looks to me from reading your posts that AFM is staying on too long, it's not switching off and re-engaging the four cylinders fast enough.  This is a problem with the solenoids that stop oil flow to the injectors. 

If I were you, I'd take it to a different dealer and if that didn't get the problem resolved, I'd fix it myself.  I would buy the MDI2 and GDS2 software to see what the computers are seeing and then fix whatever was wrong.  There's nobody more vested in the health of your truck than the one paying for it, you!

Edited by swathdiver
grammar

Thank you for your advice man I appreciate it could alot. Yeah there so much that goes in to the system. That beyond me and my skill sets. But ain't no dummy either. But I will look into what you suggested and hopefully can figure this thing out 

• Like 1

And before you visit the dealer, try driving the same trip in manual mode, M5, as mentioned above to help diagnose if is AFM you are feeling or not .

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

had this weird noise to was thinking suspension or tranny issues took to the dealer today and AFM lifters colllapsed, nice guy i talk to seem very helpful but wann know how many lifters come in all? want to see if a dealer can replace a couple more than just the two that went out... and any ways to prevent this down the road? 

A few things. 1. GM repair requires the entire bank of lifters to be replaced (which is what they did to mine). 2. From my research, a catch can helps with things apparently on the direct injection design. My lifters are now going out a second time, and they were just replaced 10K miles ago. It’s unfortunate that the application for EPA requirements are these ridiculous designs. I’m selling my ‘15 next month and already bought it’s replacement, a 1998 Chevy 2500. The funny thing is, the 1998 gets better MPG than the new EPA requirements of the my 2015.

19 minutes ago, JBR said:

A few things. 1. GM repair requires the entire bank of lifters to be replaced (which is what they did to mine). 2. From my research, a catch can helps with things apparently on the direct injection design. My lifters are now going out a second time, and they were just replaced 10K miles ago. It’s unfortunate that the application for EPA requirements are these ridiculous designs. I’m selling my ‘15 next month and already bought it’s replacement, a 1998 Chevy 2500. The funny thing is, the 1998 gets better MPG than the new EPA requirements of the my 2015.

what after 10k?? that’s crazy i ask the service tech how it happens and he just told me lack of maintenance but i baby my truck... and thank for info going to tell them to replace those bank of lifters.. it’s a shame man had a 98 1500 during high school and man i beat that thing up and it still never gave me problems till around 170k. miss that thing 

43 minutes ago, JBR said:

did y’all have the same noise like some thumping sound? me and my wife call it the chevy helicopter, that sound is hideous  :sick:

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed a ticking sound starting on my 2015 5.3L Sierra so I brought it in to the dealer. Turns out it needs lifters and a cam at 69,000km. Parts will take 5-7 days to come in they say and it is being covered under warranty, but I am worried this will happen again in the near future. My warranty will run out in 16 months time. Just seems odd for this kind of replacement at only 69,000km - something doesn't seem right.

On 7/10/2019 at 11:11 AM, Melks said:

I noticed a ticking sound starting on my 2015 5.3L Sierra so I brought it in to the dealer. Turns out it needs lifters and a cam at 69,000km. Parts will take 5-7 days to come in they say and it is being covered under warranty, but I am worried this will happen again in the near future. My warranty will run out in 16 months time. Just seems odd for this kind of replacement at only 69,000km - something doesn't seem right.

happen to my 14 silverado 5.3 as well but around 65k making an  horrible knocking noise when on v4 mode, took to dealer said it was lifter collapsed, took the same amount of days for parts, under warranty and got a free loaner ( 19 high country literally made me want to get that truck lol..) but repair took about 4 days due to the fact they had to repair both sides of lifter they now telling me i should be good for another 100k. i had the same quotation “how is this happening so early in the truck?” they reply “ premature aging, somewhat a common problem on these trucks” like what??? the truck feels so much better now and the shift to v4 doesn’t feel that bad, going to do an oil change too just so i can have a better piece of mind knowing everything is fine there... i wouldn’t be that much worried... i’m guessing just one of the few that got unluckily with the bad lifters but i will be getting extended warranty and honestly if this problem happen right now who knows what can happen later on that’s why better to be safe than sorry! 

21 hours ago, bowtiemark said:

happen to my 14 silverado 5.3 as well but around 65k making an  horrible knocking noise when on v4 mode, took to dealer said it was lifter collapsed, took the same amount of days for parts, under warranty and got a free loaner ( 19 high country literally made me want to get that truck lol..) but repair took about 4 days due to the fact they had to repair both sides of lifter they now telling me i should be good for another 100k. i had the same quotation “how is this happening so early in the truck?” they reply “ premature aging, somewhat a common problem on these trucks” like what??? the truck feels so much better now and the shift to v4 doesn’t feel that bad, going to do an oil change too just so i can have a better piece of mind knowing everything is fine there... i wouldn’t be that much worried... i’m guessing just one of the few that got unluckily with the bad lifters but i will be getting extended warranty and honestly if this problem happen right now who knows what can happen later on that’s why better to be safe than sorry! 

Thanks for sharing. I think I will speak with service advisor when the truck is ready to be picked up and see if there is anything I can do about extended warranty. Worst case scenario - if this issue arises again when I am out of warranty I will have to debate trading in for a new truck and 5 year/160,000km warranty. Can't imagine what the cost would be for this type of repair if I had to pay out of pocket in the future...

From what i been reading from this site, is that the repairs can be costly.... if anything just the tranny and engine warranty shouldn’t be that much, although the stealership may try to give you a high price. but if they are replacing lifters you should be fine for a long time, luck to you my brother! 

Went to Tennessee, from Illinois, last Friday with my 2015 Silverado High Country 6.2 and 2 waverunners. Around 60,000 miles. Returned yesterday with a rental car that I paid for. Truck had issues and took it to the dealer. Collapsed lifter. Said it might be a couple of weeks. Waiting to go back down to pick up truck and waverunners. They said the have done several of these. Not a happy camper. Been a GM guy for 30 years.

Looks like me and GM have broken up.