Collapsed lifter AFM issue

The Genesis and Stinger came around 20+ years later.  (The Stinger is awesome) Why do people continue to compare performance and crap of modern day vehicles to those of vehicles 20+ years ago!?  Hell a 2012 Impala ex-glorified rental car with the 3.5L V6 has more HP and is faster than a 1996 Impala and a 1993 Camaro Z28!  So what!?  They were great cars back then, they still are.  But they were built for a different time.  20 years from now, if we are not dead or flying around or driving around in self autonomous vehicles I'm betting many of us will look back and say.. "My 2019 Silverado- as ugly ass as it is- was a great truck.  But my 2040 Geo pickup can easily outperform it."

You missed the point, I know you’re young [emoji2960]There’s a market for performance rear drive sedans. GM used to be the masters at this. I’ve had plenty of them. Even raced some. The Asian rear drives are nice. I would have rather stayed with GM. Would have had plenty of access to performance parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, HondaHawkGT said:

That help, true. But if you look at the sales data for the last 4 or 5 years, Toyota has kept a strict limit on how many Tundras they build and sell. I think they strictly limit how many they build to keep their Cafe numbers in check. Either way, the only reason AFM/MDS/small turbocharged engines are used in half-tons is because of CAFE.

So Toyota is purposely steering the consumer away from purchasing high profit Tundra’s because of limited availability?   One would think that Toyota with such an expansive lineup of high mileage vehicles, they could sell a million Tundra’s a year and it wouldn’t put a dent in their CAFE numbers.  

Sounds like GM is putting all of their eggs in one basket.  If they miscalculate, all GM has to do is tell Uncle Sam they are too big to fail and big government will gladly fork over another $50 billion taxpayer funded bailout to keep them afloat for another 10 years.  Is GM thriving or merely surviving......

26 minutes ago, 1997SierraSLT said:

So Toyota is purposely steering the consumer away from purchasing high profit Tundra’s because of limited availability?   One would think that Toyota with such an expansive lineup of high mileage vehicles, they could sell a million Tundra’s a year and it wouldn’t put a dent in their CAFE numbers.  

Sounds like GM is putting all of their eggs in one basket.  If they miscalculate, all GM has to do is tell Uncle Sam they are too big to fail and big government will gladly fork over another $50 billion taxpayer funded bailout to keep them afloat for another 10 years.  Is GM thriving or merely surviving......

Maybe you should look at the data before commenting. Note how Tundra sales have been oddly flat since 2013. Also, GM hasn't put any more "eggs in one basket" than other manufacturers. They still sell sedans in the US, unlike FCA or Ford. What exactly does any of that have to do with AFM/DFM again?

2004 11,720
2005 126,529
2006 124,508
2007 196,555
2008 134,249
2009 79,385
2010 93,309
2011 82,908
2012 101,621
2013 112,732
2014 118,493
2015 118,880
2016 114,489
2017 116,285

12 hours ago, lew-e said:

I don’t personally hate afm... on the highway. When I drive in town I put it on m5 to avoid the awful lugging around 42 mph. I wouldn’t mind tuning it to come on at 60+ only. But I think when things start getting bad I’ll just full on delete the SOB

AFM was awful in my 2014. The new DFM system is amazing though. I can barely tell it's doing anything. Plus 25 to 28 MPG highway is pretty amazing.

19 hours ago, KARNUT said:

I put about 2 million miles behind the wheel of a pickup for work. Some very nice ones. Probably why I’m tired of them. I sure like performance sedans though. My wife’s car is fun. I think about it versus the cost of a pickup. In my humble opinion no contest. I realize I’m in the minority on that one.

I was talking about this with a friend of mine the other day (we both own Silverados). He asked if I get sick of driving a truck and want to purchase a sedan (he's buying a Dodge Charger for a second vehicle), and I told him, well not really because my commute is a lot different than yours. I just get on the highway and go...easy driving, no stop and starts, don't have to park it in crowded parks lots, etc. But I must say if I DID have to use it like that? Yeah I'd get tired of it.

And I do think a car or smaller SUV could be fun at times...especially for around town stuff...doing errands, going shopping, going out to dinner. I used to use my truck for that and it was a bit of a pain trying to find parking spots that I wouldn't be hanging the rear end out into the street...or having to worry about hitting something in tight quarters. Stuff like that, it's just so much easier in something smaller - you can effortlessly whip it around those parking lots - and you can drive faster and fun.

Edited by Doublebase
  • Like 1

I was talking about this with a friend of mine the other day (we both own Silverados). He asked if I get sick of driving a truck and want to purchase a sedan (he's buying a Dodge Charger for a second vehicle), and I told him, well not really because my commute is a lot different than yours. I just get on the highway and go...easy driving, no stop and starts, don't have to park it in crowded parks lots, etc. But I must say if I DID have to use it like that? Yeah I'd get tired of it.

And I do think a car or smaller SUV could be fun at times...especially for around town stuff...doing errands, going shopping, going out to dinner. I used to use my truck for that and it was a bit of a pain trying to find parking spots that I wouldn't be hanging the rear end out into the street...or having to worry about hitting something in tight quarters. Stuff like that, it's just so much easier in something smaller - you can effortlessly whip it around those parking lots - and you can drive faster and fun.

I have an older truck I bought off E-bay. It’s basically like an old sedan. It’s lowered and very fast. My trip vehicle is a left over Camry. Between the two I have 33K invested. My wife’s car is a sport sedan. 2011 we bought as CPO still with the 10-10 warranty. It’s still under warranty. It’s fully loaded has features GM still doesn’t offer. Add that we have 60K invested. About the cost of a high country. It’s not that I dislike trucks. There’s just better options. You’re friends charger gas savings will possibly cover his lunch.

10 hours ago, KARNUT said:

I have an older truck I bought off E-bay. It’s basically like an old sedan. It’s lowered and very fast. My trip vehicle is a left over Camry. Between the two I have 33K invested. My wife’s car is a sport sedan. 2011 we bought as CPO still with the 10-10 warranty. It’s still under warranty. It’s fully loaded has features GM still doesn’t offer. Add that we have 60K invested. About the cost of a high country. It’s not that I dislike trucks. There’s just better options. You’re friends charger gas savings will possibly cover his lunch.

What's your wife's car? 

16 hours ago, KARNUT said:

Genesis

I owned a Lexus LS460 for five years, I thought the Genesis was similar in looks and suspension design. Real nice cars. My friend has a 2017 G70 or G80...beautiful car.

My wife wants to keep it another 10 years. We’ll see, it’s not a Toyota or Honda after all. She sits on a cushion so the seats still look new. I’m eyeing the Stinger, G70, ES, CPOs next. I like my Camry. I never really got comfortable with front drive cars. The Camry was the end of model run and a bargain. I am surprised I like it so much. Every now and then I still like to hammer down, spinning front wheels don’t cut it.

11 hours ago, Doublebase said:

I owned a Lexus LS460 for five years, I thought the Genesis was similar in looks and suspension design. Real nice cars. My friend has a 2017 G70 or G80...beautiful car.

That's because Hyundai likes to reverse engineer stuff and rip off designs.  that's how they fixed their shitty reliability issues from the 90s and 2000s.  Come 2010, they were building some decent stuff, but with so many similarities inside and out to Toyotas, Honda's, and other brands.  My 2008 POS Santa Fe is a cross of a Nissan, Toyota, and Mitsubishi.  (the 2.7L engine is a rip off of a Mitsubishi engine)  

• Thanks 1

Oh, and Hyundai/Kia also hired a bunch of folks from various manufacturers who were experts as well.  They knew they had trouble and they went and paid the $$$ to get some good people to help, and it is showing.  They were VERY smart there. 

• 7 months later...

I have a 2014 Sierra with the 5.3 liter engine. It has done 150,000 km (about 90K miles) without issue. 2 weeks ago while driving on the highway it started running rough and stalled. Towed it to a local dealer, the diagnosis is the engine is done. There's a rod knock in the bottom end and a broken valve spring. When this happened I was 8 days out of warranty.

What I'd like to know is what is the cause of this failure? GM isn't any help, just ducking and weaving to avoid any responsibility. If there is a thread covering this issue and anyone can provide a link to it, or whatever other insights you may have, thanks in advance.

• 4 weeks later...

My 2019 new body style silverado LT 5.3  with dfm  4000 miles on,  not even had its first oil change ,  had a p300 and a p306,   #6 cylinder misfire , collapsed lifter,   they replaced 8 lifters on that bank.