2017 GMC Sierra 1500: Surge, Hesitation, Chuggle, Misfire, Feeling wit

• 3 months later...

All,

I had the original TSB done with my 17 5.3 6 speed had 1200 miles on it.  It now has 49000 and the chuggle is back and worse than ever.  I asked my dealership in RI about it, and they opted to hold off as they said a new TSB is coming out mid February 2018.  This coincides with the 8 speed guys talking about ATF absorbing water and screwing everything up.  Just a FYI...GL all.

Mike

• 2 months later...

Good day folks. 

As I read through comments, I am in the same boat.  2017 Yukon Denali 39K miles in for the rough idle etc.  First round about a year ago and they cleared out the code and  could not get it to misfire on a cold start.  Low and behold less than 3 months ago, same thing rough idle at stop etc.  Brought back to dealer on directive from GM, they replaced all the fuel injectors and coils.  Last week started all back up again.  They have had now for 4 days,going back and forth with GM techs at factory( or wherever they may be),  Kept coming up as a #3 misfire.  They swapped out #1 For #3 in the injectors and coil still had a #3 misfire.  Pulled intake off to see if there was any fluid...nothing.  Pulled the valve cover off to see if anything out of skew, nothing.  GM techies now advising to pull the left side head off to see if there is a lifter issue which I find highly unlikely.    As I sit here and wait, driving their tiny demo...sigh

On 7/3/2018 at 11:32 PM, Sandmhale said:

So, like many many others I experienced misfire and rough cold idle throwing a CEL.  I bought the 2017 Yukon 3 weeks ago used, and the day after I got it the trouble started. Back to the dealer and he replaced 2 plug wires and 3 coil packs he said.  2 days later the CEL was back.  So I took it to the Chevy dealer and he diagnosed it as multiple failed injectors, showed me the printout showing failures in both banks. He replaced all 8 injectors under warranty, plus the fuel lines for each side.  Picked it up today and it’s idling smooth and no CEL. Keeping my fingers crossed it’s fixed.  Anyone else have success with changing fuel injectors?  

I had this same exact thing 2017 silverado they said 2 injectors were bad cylinder 4 & 6 and then replaced them. They started the truck up and service rep guy told me "something broke loose from bottom of engine" and now I am waiting a few weeks for an entirely new engine... I'm not sure how to feel about this honestly.

Said after investigating cylinders 4 & 6 both had pitting in the walls possibly from the bad injectors? truck has 36.5k miles at time of this.

• 1 month later...
On 2/19/2018 at 9:03 AM, kevinfranklin said:

So do you feel the shake/shudder:

1. only when shifting at lower speeds (1st gear to 2....and maybe 2 to 3) ?

2. ONLY when the tranny shifts from 8 cylinders to 4 and back?

3. when gently cruising at lower consistent speeds

4. at higher speeds or more aggressive shifts?

I feel it mostly during #3.......just gently accelerating and cruising around town. 

I have a 2018 GMC Sierra and I almost hate to drive it.

Love everything about it except I experience all the stuff listed above.

This thread has been idle for awhile, has anyone got an answer from GM?

I have bought new from GMC dealer a 94, 98, 06, 13, and now my 18. The 18 is the only one that has had these issues.

Please help me.

Mike from Iowa. 

• Like 1

I have 50k miles on my 2017 Silverado w/ 5.3 and 6 speed trans. I purchased the truck w/ 30k miles and it was fine with no symptoms of the fish bite/misfire/chuggle until one day, all of a sudden, it started doing it bad. I had about 37k miles at that point. It just so happened to be after I had filled up with fuel and was leaving town on the highway. I thought I had got some bad gas and it was misfiring. I went home that night and put it on my scan tool and had zero misfires and zero codes. I let it go for a few tanks of fuel before I started questioning it and eventually found this forum post. After that I took it to the dealer and had them reflash the ECM with the updated tune per the TSB in this thread. Like others have said, that eliminated roughly 80-90% of the fish bite under light throttle tip-in or slight inclines on the highway. Even with it being mostly fixed, it irritates the hell out of me to the point it's almost not fun to drive! It just doesn't feel the same.

It doesn't make sense that it just all of a sudden happened one day. I swear the fuel mileage went to hell after that update. Since then I have mostly driven it in L5 where I get better mileage. I have .308 gears, which might make a difference with better mileage in 5th. Or I run it in tow-haul mode where it stays in 5th the majority of the time and will go into 4-cyl mode. But today I am disabling the AFM and installing a tuner to see how that goes. Just really irks me that these transmissions have this issue. I talked to the service manager at the dealer again a couple weeks ago and he said there are no additional updates. I swear something is wrong inside the trans and GM is just putting band-aids on them to get them past the warranty. But I'm still a GM fan. Even though I'm installing a new motor in my wife's 2010 Yukon XL this week after it finally collapsed a lifter from the AFM. It has been eating oil and fouling plugs for a while so it was just a matter of time. My son has a 2010 Silverado with some lifter noise so his might be next...

Just wanted to share my experience.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2019 at 4:22 PM, nextyear58 said:

I have a 2018 GMC Sierra and I almost hate to drive it.

Love everything about it except I experience all the stuff listed above.

This thread has been idle for awhile, has anyone got an answer from GM?

I have bought new from GMC dealer a 94, 98, 06, 13, and now my 18. The 18 is the only one that has had these issues.

Please help me.

Mike from Iowa. 

Just wanted to give everyone an update on my situation. I took my truck in for an oil change on May 9. Got my salesman and went to the head chief whatever serviceman. I discussed the problem I had and he said, "you have had this in here for this before and we can't find anything wrong" I have had it in before when it was new, it has ~ 7500 miles on it now. I then told him about all people on forums, this one specifically that are having this issue and asked him if anyone else had ever come in and complained about this issue. He did not answer. I then gave him the service bulletin numbers that I took from this thread and he said he would check them out.He also said any aftermarket tuning not specifically in the GM ranges would void any warranty. While I was waiting for my truck, he came to me and said one of the bulletins was available for my truck, with some issues I had talked about. Specifically the misfire, surge, and chuggle. 

He then told me he needed the truck for a day and would hook a computer to it, drive and record stuff. This was necessary in order to ok the service bulletin application through GM. He also said the service bulletin was 15 pages long with different steps. 

They picked up my truck Monday, here are the results. They agreed it has an issue. Drained and changed the tranny oil and replaced some plug. No difference. They now have a new torque converter ordered and are going to replace it. Not reallly what I wanted to hear but I want my truck fixed. They are going to call when it gets here and replace. So waiting on step two. 

One last thing, after the service manager spoke to me about the bulletin while I was waiting on the oil change, the owner stopped and talked to me. His last words were "We will fix your truck for you."

I will keep posting and give updates as they continue the work.

Mike from Iowa.

Edited by nextyear58
  • Like 1

Gonna have to follow this thread...  I just purchased a 2018 Denali and have the same issue.  Strange how it goes away for a bit, and then comes back.  Dealer has tried the rebalance tire thing, but it came bac after that.  Gonna have to follow this and see if they ever  figure it out.  PS... mine is the 6.2, which I love power wise, but this chuggle is annoying as hell. 

On 5/18/2019 at 4:41 AM, nextyear58 said:

Just wanted to give everyone an update on my situation. I took my truck in for an oil change on May 9. Got my salesman and went to the head chief whatever serviceman. I discussed the problem I had and he said, "you have had this in here for this before and we can't find anything wrong" I have had it in before when it was new, it has ~ 7500 miles on it now. I then told him about all people on forums, this one specifically that are having this issue and asked him if anyone else had ever come in and complained about this issue. He did not answer. I then gave him the service bulletin numbers that I took from this thread and he said he would check them out.He also said any aftermarket tuning not specifically in the GM ranges would void any warranty. While I was waiting for my truck, he came to me and said one of the bulletins was available for my truck, with some issues I had talked about. Specifically the misfire, surge, and chuggle. 

He then told me he needed the truck for a day and would hook a computer to it, drive and record stuff. This was necessary in order to ok the service bulletin application through GM. He also said the service bulletin was 15 pages long with different steps. 

They picked up my truck Monday, here are the results. They agreed it has an issue. Drained and changed the tranny oil and replaced some plug. No difference. They now have a new torque converter ordered and are going to replace it. Not reallly what I wanted to hear but I want my truck fixed. They are going to call when it gets here and replace. So waiting on step two. 

One last thing, after the service manager spoke to me about the bulletin while I was waiting on the oil change, the owner stopped and talked to me. His last words were "We will fix your truck for you."

I will keep posting and give updates as they continue the work.

Mike from Iowa.

I hope they fix it for you.  Your story sounds exactly like mine.  I bought my 2017 Sierra brand new, brought it in within the first 4000 miles because of the chuggle/fishbite/whatever that would happen fairly consistently.  I took the tech for a drive but never could re-create it.  I showed them the older service bulletin that had been released about flashing the transmission cpu or something but they could never re-create it.  This was almost 2 years ago now and I'm currently at 15,000 miles.  I recently saw the new service bulletin (Jan. 2018 #PIP5504A) that has all the detailed ways for the tech to test for the issue so I'll probably bring the truck back in soon to give them another chance to fix it.  I hope you have a good follow-up so I can feel good about this next round.  Good luck and thanks for posting!

On 5/23/2019 at 3:57 PM, glendon66 said:

I hope they fix it for you.  Your story sounds exactly like mine.  I bought my 2017 Sierra brand new, brought it in within the first 4000 miles because of the chuggle/fishbite/whatever that would happen fairly consistently.  I took the tech for a drive but never could re-create it.  I showed them the older service bulletin that had been released about flashing the transmission cpu or something but they could never re-create it.  This was almost 2 years ago now and I'm currently at 15,000 miles.  I recently saw the new service bulletin (Jan. 2018 #PIP5504A) that has all the detailed ways for the tech to test for the issue so I'll probably bring the truck back in soon to give them another chance to fix it.  I hope you have a good follow-up so I can feel good about this next round.  Good luck and thanks for posting!

Torque converter is here and they are going to pick my truck up Wed. (05/29/2019) morning and return to me before I get off work.

I will post an update when I have any info.

Mike

• Like 1