2017 GMC Sierra 1500: Surge, Hesitation, Chuggle, Misfire, Feeling wit

Interesting... I might have to grab one of these. If there is really no fuel economy improvement, I don't see a point of having the V4 mode at all.

I'm averaging around 17 mpg in the 300 miles I have owned the truck and the studder/chuggle/misfire sensation is rather irritating. I'm going to hit up my dealer on Monday and see about getting the flash done... and then I'm going to assess things after it's done. Next step will be to buy the Range AFM delete and see how it rolls on that.

Are you saying that turning off AFM won't reduce my fuel economy?

The Range unit may reduce your fuel economy by 1 mpg or so, but it really is negligible. I'm still averaging 18 mpg (hand-calcs) with a mix of highway and city driving after using mine for about 10k miles. There are a few threads with some good info, I gave them a good read before dropping the money on one myself.

I struggled with the hesitation/chuggle issue myself for a while. It didn't start until about the 200 mile mark, then started to clear up a little bit after 2k miles or so. Then I got the Range unit, which further reduced the issue. Then I had the TSB done around the 10k mile mark and now it's about 95% fixed.

The Range unit may reduce your fuel economy by 1 mpg or so, but it really is negligible. I'm still averaging 18 mpg (hand-calcs) with a mix of highway and city driving after using mine for about 10k miles. There are a few threads with some good info, I gave them a good read before dropping the money on one myself.

I struggled with the hesitation/chuggle issue myself for a while. It didn't start until about the 200 mile mark, then started to clear up a little bit after 2k miles or so. Then I got the Range unit, which further reduced the issue. Then I had the TSB done around the 10k mile mark and now it's about 95% fixed.

I just ordered it directly from Rangetech.... Gonna take this into the dealer for the software update on Monday. The truck was made in February and probably never got the update. I'm guessing most 2017 Silverado owners are driving around with a lurching/chuggle and just don't have the acuity to connect the dots to abnormal operation. GM knows about it and hopefully there is a 100% fix someday... 95% would do the job though.

I really don't care if I get 16.5 or 17.5 MPG.... I have a 2017 Rav4 Hybrid that I can use for long trips (35 Mpg). This is my short commute/Snowmobile/camper hauler. It's going to be in V8 100% of the time I'm hauling anyhow.

I wonder what they introduced into the 2017 programming that is causing this. To my knowledge, this is a 2017 issue only.

Edited by Jonger1150

• 1 month later...

I've had the same issue since week 2 after buying my 2016 July 2016 and I get told it's normal. I pulled across a busy intersection and the damn thing fell flat on it's face like I hit a kill switch. Hit the pedal twice and then it lit the tires up and went just before getting t-boned. Has the the crapy 2-3 shift and hesitation like your minus a few or more cylinders on a load flat or uphill. I'm definitely going to be 1 and done with GM. My wife is going to be getting a new car soon and it won't be GM at this rate.

• 2 weeks later...

I just had my truck at the dealer. At first they kind of blew it off, the service manager said "you can thank the EPA for that". I was a bit put off. I tune all of my own vehicles and have owned and worked on tons of GM products, I try not to act like a pretentious know it all, but I know how these vehicles work and how it should act. But after I took a tech for a drive, he looked up the vin and sure enough mine needed the TSB for 17-na-070.

My truck was built in March 2017 and still had the "Chuggle" issue, so if anyone is having that issue with an older truck, give the TSB a try, the Update is 24288803 "calibration change to correct chuggle". I have driven it about 120 miles after the new update and I don't have any of the complaints that I had before. It still feels like it would benefit from a tune, but it is acceptable now for a factory tune. Certainly a night and day difference.

• 5 weeks later...

I bought a 2017 Silverado Crew Cab Z71 and mine does the same, thing. Feels like a miss. Dealership tried to blame it on my cheap tonneau cover. Had to explain to service I'm not stupid like some others and know the difference between vibration and hesitation.

Anyway, complained three times before I was told it's the new six speed transmission and GM has not come out with an update to fix it. Told I have to drive it and get used to it until a fix comes out. Mine does it whether it's on flat or incline. Seems to go away when you get on it. Mine has upshifted and downshifted somewhat hard and shuttered, missed, chuggled, etc. whatever you want to call it. Great looking truck, but very dissatisfied with it over my 2014 I traded in. Almost to the point of trading in for a Ford F-150 as much as that hurts me to say!

I bought a 2017 Silverado Crew Cab Z71 and mine does the same, thing. Feels like a miss. Dealership tried to blame it on my cheap tonneau cover. Had to explain to service I'm not stupid like some others and know the difference between vibration and hesitation.

Anyway, complained three times before I was told it's the new six speed transmission and GM has not come out with an update to fix it. Told I have to drive it and get used to it until a fix comes out. Mine does it whether it's on flat or incline. Seems to go away when you get on it. Mine has upshifted and downshifted somewhat hard and shuttered, missed, chuggled, etc. whatever you want to call it. Great looking truck, but very dissatisfied with it over my 2014 I traded in. Almost to the point of trading in for a Ford F-150 as much as that hurts me to say!

my 17 acted up the first time I started it in my driveway, same symptoms as you are describing. they had it for a full month trying to duplicate/ find the problem. that is correct 30 days. Three weeks after I had out of the shop it started hesitating/ missing again, this time while I was out of town. Had to have a flatbed pick it up and take it back to dealer.

The first time they said it was the #1 and # 7 injectors were bad, second time they said it was a bad # 7 spark plug. It appears to be running ok now but we will see. have 3000 miles on the truck.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by cowboysfanmd

my 17 acted up the first time I started it in my driveway, same symptoms as you are describing. they had it for a full month trying to duplicate/ find the problem. that is correct 30 days. Three weeks after I had out of the shop it started hesitating/ missing again, this time while I was out of town. Had to have a flatbed pick it up and take it back to dealer.

The first time they said it was the #1 and # 7 injectors were bad, second time they said it was a bad # 7 spark plug. It appears to be running ok now but we will see. have 3000 miles on the truck.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Did your truck throw a code for them to determine the injectors or plug was bad? I mentioned the same issue the way mine was running and pointed out the black residue around the muffler weep hole. Thought one or more cylinders may not be firing correctly. I was told the new trucks show the black on the muffler and my truck didn't throw a code for the tech to look into. Edited by Deadeye

• 4 months later...

Anyone experiencing this on the 2018's? I feel like this describes exactly what I feel on my new 2018 (less than 500 miles...). A week and half after I bought it and the honeymoon period is already gone, not sure what I just got myself into with this purchase.

Also at idle have a slight vibration going throughout the whole truck. Thought this was just a problem on the 14,15's but I guess they never fixed any of these issues.

Edited by FourThor

So can someone summarize the TSB's I should ask my dealer about?

And did anyone ever get a confirmed build-date range for trucks that require the re-programming?  

My 2017 purchased in Sept doesn't have the hesitation, but definitely needs some transmission tuning to work smoothly and confidently.

The Diablosport tuners will correct most all of these drivability complaints, and make these trucks feel more refined, and definitely unleash more power. While the performance from my truck was definitely adequate right from the factory, I knew there was a lot more there, and was being held back from GM's compromised tune. The shifts are now firmer, shift points higher, idle speed raised, AFM disabled, much peppier, and responsive. As for the warranty, Diablosport tuner when divorced from the vehicle show up as a flash. GM will not know what was done, other than it comes up as a flash. Now, a lot of flashes might arouse suspiction, but I am willing to take a chance. As with my 2013, it transformed the truck.

Black Bear Tune is the only way to make your GM truck run the way a truck should run.

GM can not make a truck run better than a Black Bear tune.

http://blackbearperformance.com/

image.png.01939d6021a3933226342d915c621ba3.png