2017 GMC Sierra 1500: Surge, Hesitation, Chuggle, Misfire, Feeling wit

On 6/9/2017 at 1:35 PM, Jonger1150 said:

I just ordered it directly from Rangetech.... Gonna take this into the dealer for the software update on Monday. The truck was made in February and probably never got the update. I'm guessing most 2017 Silverado owners are driving around with a lurching/chuggle and just don't have the acuity to connect the dots to abnormal operation. GM knows about it and hopefully there is a 100% fix someday... 95% would do the job though.

I really don't care if I get 16.5 or 17.5 MPG.... I have a 2017 Rav4 Hybrid that I can use for long trips (35 Mpg). This is my short commute/Snowmobile/camper hauler. It's going to be in V8 100% of the time I'm hauling anyhow.

I wonder what they introduced into the 2017 programming that is causing this. To my knowledge, this is a 2017 issue only.

I notice this issue on my 3 week old 2018. It's especially prominent because I live in middle Tennessee with a lot of hills.

I ended up returning the Rangetech, I paid money for that technology and I'm not disabling it to fix this issue.

I never took it in yet, but I still plan on it.

Punched the accelerator at a stop light and the thing completely cut out power on me. Also, the hesitation still hasn't cleared up.

This truck just seems to have a badly designed transmission. The downshift from 2 to 1st really clunks into gear too.

Edited by Jonger1150

Truck Does Not Run Right...Tachometer Bounces...Hesitation from the start...Going up hills is Jumpy...Skips and Bucks, Feels like truck is Misfiring...Transmission shifts are consistently Rough and Random... :ughdance:

Dealership confirmed the problem after test driving and they then found TSB #PIP5457C: Surge hesitation Chuggle Misfire Feeling With A Light Tip In - (Feb 10, 2017) which they believe match's the problem. :dunno:

The Dealership says GMC is aware of this (TSB #PIP5457C) the cause is unknown at this time. Do Not Know How Long It Could Take To Get A Fix. :nonod:

I called GMC customer assistance and requested a replacement or buyback they opened up a case number for me.

They next day GMC customer assistance denied any kind of replacement, trade assistance, or buy back. Closed my case because they do not know what the cause is at this time and do not have a fix for the problem.

I was told I must drive the truck (AS IS) until such time a fix is available. They also encouraged me to exercise the Lemon Laws in my state if I wished to pursue a replacement or a buy back. :bs:

Extremely unhappy with my first GMC Truck and that's a shame because it’s a beautiful truck It just happens to be a Lemon that runs like Crap... :banghead:

Just keep driving (AS IS) is not what I paid for...I hope someone else has any insight to how to fix this problem. I hope others will post there concerns as well so we can get these trucks fixed or replaced... :flag:

Speaking from experience, GM would much rather you hassle through lemon laws and BBB complaints and then offer a shit deal before they step up to the plate the first time.

I can explain if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got back from my dealer. My 2018 apparently already had this update, so clearly there’s something else at play here as well. They said they had seen about 40 trucks brought in for this same issue in the past few months and GM knows about it but has not issued another TSB or more information about it. I don’t know if this is BS or true but I’m pretty upset given I just bought the damn truck.

Should not be having such issues right off the lot. Trying to figure out what the best next move would be, anyone else have any ideas? Will a tune fix this or would I just be digging the hole deeper for myself down the line with a brand new truck?

I had planned to throw a lift and tires on it in this month, but now I’m not so sure...sucks.

Damm ! after reading this thread I sympathize with you 17 and 18 owners. Makes me appreciate my 14 with it's glitches but so far solid engine and trans performance. I realize any brand can have issues but GM just does not seem to care once you buy one. A shame when they know their is a issue they do not step up and correct it or sub it out to a tuner if needed. I think my truck is fine and gets good mileage but my next one will be a gas sucking Tundra..... say what you will but the 3 Toyotas I have owned never had any real issues other than a recall on a Camry.....can't be all coincidence ??

Best of Luck

Yotaman

6 hours ago, Yotaman said:

Damm ! after reading this thread I sympathize with you 17 and 18 owners. Makes me appreciate my 14 with it's glitches but so far solid engine and trans performance. I realize any brand can have issues but GM just does not seem to care once you buy one. A shame when they know their is a issue they do not step up and correct it or sub it out to a tuner if needed. I think my truck is fine and gets good mileage but my next one will be a gas sucking Tundra..... say what you will but the 3 Toyotas I have owned never had any real issues other than a recall on a Camry.....can't be all coincidence ??

Best of Luck

Yotaman

Yea man, I went into this thinking I was going to buy a 2014-2015 but couldn't pass up the incentive on a brand new truck for roughly the same price.

My 2018 Sierra 1500 5.3L 6-speed  does this ... big time.  After 1500 miles i figured out how to eliminate the issue.  Put the xmission in "L" then shift  with the '+' and '-' buttons on the shifter until it is in L4 just for in-town driving (less than 40mph). Limiting it to 4th gear prevents it from shifting into 6th gear so it doesn't lug so much plus it wont down shift as much. Also, this mode doesn't go into V4 mode.  and the torque converter kicks in/out as expected. Give it a shot and let us know if it works for you. 

8 hours ago, Brian-Spokane said:

My 2018 Sierra 1500 5.3L 6-speed  does this ... big time.  After 1500 miles i figured out how to eliminate the issue.  Put the xmission in "L" then shift  with the '+' and '-' buttons on the shifter until it is in L4 just for in-town driving (less than 40mph). Limiting it to 4th gear prevents it from shifting into 6th gear so it doesn't lug so much plus it wont down shift as much. Also, this mode doesn't go into V4 mode.  and the torque converter kicks in/out as expected. Give it a shot and let us know if it works for you. 

Why would you spend $50k on a truck and drive it around like this? Make them fix it.

Not to discredit anyone’s problem or suffering but is this not a symptom of every modern automatic transmission? They are all programmed for fuel economy in mind and to hunt for top gear. In stop and go city driving/traffic my truck will behave like a total pig if I mash the gas and brake like a chump. But if I drive with any amount of finesse it behaves fine.

• Like 1