2017 GMC Sierra 1500: Surge, Hesitation, Chuggle, Misfire, Feeling wit

18 hours ago, mouse24 said:

I have a 17 1500 that I had them do the TSB upgrade. It mostly solved the problem.

Mine would chuggle (whatever the hell that is) when I'd be rolling down the highway and just start to put a bit of a load on the engine (as is starting up a small grade).

The TSB did fix that. I'm still trying to learn more about this tuning option.

Do you recall the specific TSB that you had done?  My 18 1500 has similar issues...

mine just left for the dealer now.. . for hard shifts, and shudder around 50-60.... hopefully they dont tell me its normal.. grrrr. 

nice thing about my dealer.. .they bring me a 2018 GMC z71 fully loaded to drive around...  ...  they drive 1hr to drop it off and pick up my truck to drive it to the dealer!... . yee yee!

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same issue with my 2017 sierra, surging and fish biting. After a few trips to dealers I was told it was the torque converter locking and unlocking. Gmc knows about it but not doing anything. I complained about it and had my torque converter replaced. My truck is good now no issues. Just so everyone knows I bought a tuner before all of this and it did not fix the surging 

I had the same issue with my 2017 sierra, surging and fish biting. After a few trips to dealers I was told it was the torque converter locking and unlocking. Gmc knows about it but not doing anything. I complained about it and had my torque converter replaced. My truck is good now no issues. Just so everyone knows I bought a tuner before all of this and it did not fix the surging 

You say you tried a tune and still got your truck fixed under warranty? Lots of posting say that wouldn’t happen on newer model trucks. What tune did you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used a diablo intune 3. I reloaded the factory tune before I brought it to the dealer. On the invoice it said they checked the tune too and said it was up to date. I guess they never detected it

I used caned tunes on every truck I owned since they were offered. Had one warranty issue no problems with a tune. I have routinely asked if anyone was denied, no takers so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've posted previously on here having the same issue with my 2016. This past week they finally at least reset the adaptive learn on it and it seems to have helped. It's not perfect, but it's noticeably better. It's not a guarantee to work, but it's worth a try if you can get your dealer to do it. It only took me 1.75 years to get it done.

Got a 2014 silverado 1500 5.3 since 0km on it.. added the trinity at 30,000km, disabled AFM and DoD, used their 93 tune and my truck has been amazing.. I’m now at 105,000 and not ONE problem with it.

Diablo Sports won’t be seen, only as “flashes”.. why not spend $500 to get the best out of your truck? People may say “we shouldn’t have to”, and your right.. but I mean $500 to stop the complaining.. well worth it.

I’m hoping this engine will fail so I can do a complete custom build.. but this engine will last a very long time I feel!

• 1 month later...

I just bought a 2018 GMC Sierra SLT Crew Cab Z71 4X4 with the 5.3 V8 in December 2017. I noticed the Rough Idle about a week after I took it home. Sometimes in the mornings it was really bad especially after I put it in gear with foot off the throttle. It currently has about 3k miles on it, on Friday coming home from work it started miss firing bad and the oil pressure slammed all the way over to 80 psi and the check engine light and traction control light came on. The cruise control also stopped working and the engine acted like it wanted to die. I took it directly to the dealer and confirmed the miss fire because it threw a code. They currently have it tore apart trying to figure out the issues. They called me yesterday and said they do not know what is wrong with it, but definatly has issues that need to be fixed. They sent me home in a 2018 Chevy Silverado 4X4 rental and it does the exact same thing, lol wtf. They assured me that they will get it fixed before returning it to me, but at this rate I might be taking the rental in to get fixed as well.

On 3/9/2018 at 9:23 PM, WesternMike said:

Got a 2014 silverado 1500 5.3 since 0km on it.. added the trinity at 30,000km, disabled AFM and DoD, used their 93 tune and my truck has been amazing.. I’m now at 105,000 and not ONE problem with it.

Diablo Sports won’t be seen, only as “flashes”.. why not spend $500 to get the best out of your truck? People may say “we shouldn’t have to”, and your right.. but I mean $500 to stop the complaining.. well worth it.

I’m hoping this engine will fail so I can do a complete custom build.. but this engine will last a very long time I feel!

Someone needs to educate me on how these things work. I know NOTHING about them, but they sound like a good idea.

8 hours ago, WesternMike said:

What you looking to figure out? Happy to help where I can.

Hi Mike:  thanks for the help.

I've never used one of these. I don't think i've ever seen one used. How do you choose the correct tuner? How do you program them to do what you want? Can you change tuning options according to how you are using the truck ( Like towing a camper for the weekend and then back to daily driving later on)? Are they as simple to use as just plugging into your OBDII port and going?