LED Under Rail bed Lights

I got my LEDs for the bed from AutoZone for like $25. It has 8 LED pods, 4 for each side and I just tapped into the hitch plug wiring and mounted a switch in the bed. Eventually I'll tie them into the cargo light wiring so they come on with the overhead light too.

post-167112-0-71681500-1489697912_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Just got a set of the mictuning led lights for the bed. Trying to figure out how I want to wire them? They come with their own on/off switch, so i was thinking about tying them into the factory lights, but also having them be able to come on with the switch.

• 1 year later...
On 3/7/2017 at 11:41 PM, RPOD71 said:

I got the OEM harness from GM parts outlet (#22878806) about $30, LED strip lights from amazon and some automotive 3M tape. Saved quite a bit over what GM wants with better lighting.

Harness is plug and play, there is a spot by your spare that it plugs into and is controlled by the switch in the cab. Just cut the plugs off the light end and splice your LEDs into them. The LEDs I bought have adhesive but it's not that good. I ran the 3M tape where I put the lights, along the top of the rails. I'll try to take a pic tonight at work if I can.

Can you provide some more info as to how the harness works and where to install it?

• Like 1

Can you provide some more info as to how the harness works and where to install it?
I did the same thing except I took it one step further. I did a little research and found that a company in Texas makes the connector on the OEM factory harness. I spent an hour on the phone talking to 2 diff technitions simultaneously to get the correct parts. I now have a water proof connection with a factory locking connector.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, jlozan2 said:

Look under the truck by the spare tire.  You'll see the wiring.  One has a dummy plug cover.  At least my 14 did.  That's where the harness plugs in.

Then use the provisions in the truck and snap the holders into it.  It's pretty easy, but I do remember using string to fish the ends that come up the side if the bed.

8 hours ago, xMEATxHAMMERx said:

I did the same thing except I took it one step further. I did a little research and found that a company in Texas makes the connector on the OEM factory harness. I spent an hour on the phone talking to 2 diff technitions simultaneously to get the correct parts. I now have a water proof connection with a factory locking connector.

Which company provides that?

Which company provides that?

I made a post for someone else on another thread. It's got way more info then you requested, but it's easier for me to copy and paste once as opposed to several times.

You will need a few things but they are all cheap and easy to put together. 

The website

https://www.mouser.com/m_Home.aspx

First the 2 clips

571-1-1703498-2

Then you need 4 of these

571-967067-2

And 4 of these as well

571-1718758-1-LP

You strip the wire, put the water proof boot on, then the metal tab. Then you slide them into the plastic clip.

Check your polarity before hand by sticking the end of the lights into the wireing harness on the truck. Remember which side is red and connect the connector. Now you can disconnect and you will know where to put your wires.

Also, the metal pieces only go in one way, look into the clip ahead of time and you will see what I mean. After I had my ends tegether, I put a little soap on the rubber boots to make it slide in easier.

I bought double of everything so a coworker could do the same thing. With shipping, the total was about 12.00. so you could assume about 4 to 6 bucks worth of parts for the parts.

6 minutes ago, xMEATxHAMMERx said:

I made a post for someone else on another thread. It's got way more info then you requested, but it's easier for me to copy and paste once as opposed to several times.

You will need a few things but they are all cheap and easy to put together. 

The website

https://www.mouser.com/m_Home.aspx

First the 2 clips

571-1-1703498-2

Then you need 4 of these

571-967067-2

And 4 of these as well

571-1718758-1-LP

You strip the wire, put the water proof boot on, then the metal tab. Then you slide them into the plastic clip.

Check your polarity before hand by sticking the end of the lights into the wireing harness on the truck. Remember which side is red and connect the connector. Now you can disconnect and you will know where to put your wires.

Also, the metal pieces only go in one way, look into the clip ahead of time and you will see what I mean. After I had my ends tegether, I put a little soap on the rubber boots to make it slide in easier.

I bought double of everything so a coworker could do the same thing. With shipping, the total was about 12.00. so you could assume about 4 to 6 bucks worth of parts for the parts.

Thanks for the info! this is very useful.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, xMEATxHAMMERx said:

Let me know if I can help in any other way! In my video, I used my key fob to turn my lights on and off. If you haven't found it yet, check it out. Cargo key fob diode mod.

I just realized I was confusing two different things.. lol 

I already have the factory bed lighting (2 leds- terrible... barely any light output). I thought there was another plug under the bed where i could plug in next to the factory one. 

I need to just tap into the factory leds with a LED strip. Only thing is making sure the connections are waterproof, any tips on that?

And i saw your video, awesome set up m8! I already ordered the diodes and will be doing that next. However, the factory LEDs have a bit of a blue in them. Anyone know of LEDs that match the OEM?

• Like 1

I just realized I was confusing two different things.. lol 

I already have the factory bed lighting (2 leds- terrible... barely any light output). I thought there was another plug under the bed where i could plug in next to the factory one. 

I need to just tap into the factory leds with a LED strip. Only thing is making sure the connections are waterproof, any tips on that?

And i saw your video, awesome set up m8! I already ordered the diodes and will be doing that next. However, the factory LEDs have a bit of a blue in them. Anyone know of LEDs that match the OEM?
Yeah, so you can take the factory lights out. The connectors plug directly into the back of the light. Drop one of the lights and you will see what I'm talking about.

When you get your new lights, cut the wires on the new lights about 6 inches from the end. Put the clips on from mouser, and tuck the extra wire back into the fender.

The hardest part in the mod (which isn't hard at all) is running the harness, and you don't have to do it! Cue the song Easy Street lol

4 minutes ago, xMEATxHAMMERx said:

Yeah, so you can take the factory lights out. The connectors plug directly into the back of the light. Drop one of the lights and you will see what I'm talking about.

When you get your new lights, cut the wires on the new lights about 6 inches from the end. Put the clips on from mouser, and tuck the extra wire back into the fender.

The hardest part in the mod (which isn't hard at all) is running the harness, and you don't have to do it! Cue the song Easy Street lol

Awesome man I'll order the parts and take pics once i'm done!

• Like 1

Awesome man I'll order the parts and take pics once i'm done!
Look closely at my pic. Since I went with the strips and didn't want to cut them, you have to start then all the way forward. Kind of in the fender... Then over the wheel well, there is a bump out, if you go through there you have to pre feed it before peeling the tape. Just to save headache. Then the tail end goes into the fender again at the back by the tailgate. Just food for thought

• 1 month later...
On 18/07/2018 at 8:10 AM, xMEATxHAMMERx said:

First the 2 clips

571-1-1703498-2

Before I place my order, can you confirm the part number?  The manufacturer lists a similar part number that indicates (GM).  Thanks!

Capture.PNG

• Like 1