Backup camera monitor at night.

I have noticed this too. I know I shouldn't need to look backwards due to the camera, but the screen is so bright that I can't see out the cab.

I'll check to see if I have a brightness sidebar or something :cool:

If you're looking in the '07 truck on your signature... it is the brightness/dome light wheel next to your light switch.

I am going to refer to this as a safety issue... as well as poor engineering and not thinking it through. I am emailing GM and GMC every time I can find a new email address. An HD truck is made for towing/ hauling. Granted mine is an weekday show off and weekend worker.. But it fails at it's main task due to the (almost) inability to use your side mirrors while backing due to the light show in my truck!

What I've noticed is that the camera turns on when in reverse, but stays on for a few seconds once in drive. And as soon as I shift into N and then D, it dims. Dims to a much more suitable brightness, might I add.

When I first put it in R it's normal brightness. 1 second later... I could be accused of spotlighting deer from my cab! .... illegal in TX by the way... lol

Believe it or not have them check the ambient light sensor on the top of your dash. I wasn't having problems with my backup camera screen but I was having trouble with the headlights flickering. They tested that sensor and found out it was bad. Since they replaced it my headlights have been fine and the dash lights seem to do a better job of knowing when to dim or brighten based on the ambient light.

• Like 2

Below is my latest email... this one from GM corporate.

Dear Scott,

Thank you for prompt response and providing the requested information.

Based on our resources, there is a turn wheel on the left side of the steering wheel that you can roll up or down. This is the only way to dim the screen of your 2017 GMC Denali. This can be done while on the back up camera.

You may also check page 184 on your owner's manual under Instrument Panel Illumination Control. For more information about your Infotainment System you may check your owner’s manual on page 188 or you may call the Infotainment Customer Support Group at 8554283669. They can assist you with setup, navigation systems, download applications and system updates.

Dear Scott,

Based on our resources, there is a turn wheel on the left side of the steering wheel that you can roll up or down. This is the only way to dim the screen of your 2017 GMC Denali. This can be done while on the back up camera.

You may also check page 184 on your owner's manual under Instrument Panel Illumination Control. For more information about your Infotainment System you may check your owner’s manual on page 188 or you may call the Infotainment Customer Support Group at 8554283669. They can assist you with setup, navigation systems, download applications and system updates.

Did this work? Mine is still very bright with the dimmer all the way down, it is very difficult to back up a trailer or boat when pitch black outside. been using a jacket to cover it up

Dear Scott,

Hope this works for you!

I ended up setting my dimmer to the darkest setting. I have a regular cab so the reflection of the cluster and display lights off the rear glass is distracting at night. Backing up I have no issues seeing since I have the led spot lights in the mirror

I have noticed the reflection off the rear window in my Regular Cab also, having the tint on the back magnifies the situation.