Is OnStar worth the money?

I added my truck to my ATT wireless plan ($10 per month) so it can share minutes and data with my other cell phones. I don't carry a smart phone. I then connect a Trac phone I never registered (my guinea pig) to the trucks wifi and can use Android Auto.

So its going cell tower to truck over cellular, truck to cell phone over wifi, then cell phone back to the truck using ???. Not sure if its wifi, or maybe bluetooth. Probably wifi. I use it mostly for google maps. Works pretty good unless I lose the cell tower signal. But there is a way to download google maps for off line use when that happens.

What I would really like to do is remote the display from a Garmin Oregon to the trucks display so I can look at detailed topographic maps. That would be way cool.

• 8 months later...

too bad the key has to be in the on or case of key less has to be in accessory mode for the hotspot to function.... just as easy to turn on hotpot with your phone.

Onstar has some nice features, however the navigation system is terrible and has been terrible in my personal experience since 2003. Android Auto with Waze or Google Maps blows Onstar away hands down period. Even when talking to person and telling them to route you around a certain place....nope not gonna happen. Then try taking a few shortcuts your familiar with around your home stomping ground and watch how goofy it gets....Google or Waze rarely an issue.