First Tank of E85

How did my opinion of flex fuel effect you, in a personal way? I am entitled to call it crap. Didn't tag anyone saying their opinion is incorrect? I'm honestly at a loss with what is causing you grief?

Costing 20% less and getting a more than 20% loss in fuel economy is what I decide it is. Am I crazy?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How did my opinion of flex fuel effect you, in a personal way? I am entitled to call it crap. Didn't tag anyone saying their opinion is incorrect? I'm honestly at a loss with what is causing you grief?

Costing 20% less and getting a more than 20% loss in fuel economy is what I decide it is. Am I crazy?

No, not if the cost spread is 20%. If the spread is more, then you might be. If the cost spread is greater than 50 cents a gallon, then E85 is more economical to use even with the lower mpg. One has to look at the cost per mile, not just mpg.

For instance, if E10 is costing me $2.20 a gallon, but I can get E85 at $1.70 a gallon. And I will use my 2500 fuel numbers to make the point. On regular I typically will average around 14 mpg for all miles. On E85, I will typically average 11 mpg for all miles.

Regular at $2.20 is roughly 15.7 cents a mile fuel cost at 14 mpg.

E85 at $1.70 is roughly 15.5 cents a mile fuel cost at 11 mpg.

That is a 50 cent spread (less than 20% spread based on prices now). With a 60 cent or more spread, closer to the 20% you mention, E85 is far cheaper to use on a cost per mile basis.

No, not if the cost spread is 20%. If the spread is more, then you might be. If the cost spread is greater than 50 cents a gallon, then E85 is more economical to use even with the lower mpg. One has to look at the cost per mile, not just mpg.

For instance, if E10 is costing me $2.20 a gallon, but I can get E85 at $1.70 a gallon. And I will use my 2500 fuel numbers to make the point. On regular I typically will average around 14 mpg for all miles. On E85, I will typically average 11 mpg for all miles.

Regular at $2.20 is roughly 15.7 cents a mile fuel cost at 14 mpg.

E85 at $1.70 is roughly 15.5 cents a mile fuel cost at 11 mpg.

That is a 50 cent spread (less than 20% spread based on prices now). With a 60 cent or more spread, closer to the 20% you mention, E85 is far cheaper to use on a cost per mile basis.

Exactly.

Depends on where you live and the cost spread. Here it is $1.89 a gallon for E85 and premium, (which I run since my truck is tuned) is $2.70 a gallon. That is an .81 difference per gallon and so with my mileage decrease it is cheaper to run E85 per mile than premium.

One has to way the difference of what the cost per mile is to see if it is worth using E85. Different parts of the country will have different pricing.

I got ya cowpie. By us it's called both flex fuel & E85. The stuff I put in the truck was flex fuel. It stated less than 51% ethonal. If that makes sense.

I will honestly have to try and break it down to the mpg and penny. Before I call it what I did. Lol!

I agree with you cowpie. For it's intended use and lack of storage. There could be a fit and cost savings. I will pay attention to milage at this point. Sure wish I needed to make a long trip....

After reading tuners results in testing KR in the 14 and up GM 5.3s I started using 89 grade gas and E-85 when I could get it. After using E 85 for awhile it became clear my truck perform better. It was enough that paying more for E-85 wouldn't have been an issue, I ended up paying over 1$ less per gallon than 89 grade fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got ya cowpie. By us it's called both flex fuel & E85. The stuff I put in the truck was flex fuel. It stated less than 51% ethonal. If that makes sense.

I will honestly have to try and break it down to the mpg and penny. Before I call it what I did. Lol!

I agree with you cowpie. For it's intended use and lack of storage. There could be a fit and cost savings. I will pay attention to milage at this point. Sure wish I needed to make a long trip....

Yeah, blends can vary around the country. I have noticed major differences between just IL and IA in both gasoline and diesel fuel, the latter as it pertains to biodiesel blends. I think that a fuel can only be "called" E85 if it falls in the 70% to 85% ethanol range. I could see a station just calling a fuel "flex fuel" for other blends. We have E10, E15, E20, E30, E50, and E85 in my area. They label the pumps based on the blend. Illinois might just do things a little different at the pumps. Usually those decisions are based on directives from Springfield.

I get thru Belvidere often. I take oatmeal and honey into the General Mills cereal plant there occasionally.

• 2 weeks later...

Well first tank of flex fuel netted me 10mpg. All city.

Flex fuel is appx 50% ethanol. And E85 is what is says.

Both are the same price. $1.89. wonder which is the better value? I'm thinking the flex fuel? Both are appx 20% cheaper than regular gas

I was hoping to get a long highway test of flex fuel. Preliminary results are close to 10% less mpg at a savings of 20% at the pump, in city only.

Seems to be worth looking into. At least the E50 version in my neighborhood.

That would make if very cost effective with that kind of results. That is the reason I really like flex fuel vehicles. Can choose from a plethora of fuels to use that offer the best bang for the buck.

Fuel range is important to me. Wish I could put a 35 gallon tank on my pickup. Need the range and don't like the principle of ethanol "quo". With the new techniques and technology it is possible it will become a very viable, using things that aren't "food".

As far as older vehicles and engines that sit 99% of the year, it's bad news. Fuel stabilizer is a good idea even without ethanol.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Archived