The Joy of Window Tint

No sir sorry you are wrong, a 2 second google search and i found this.https://www.windowtint.com/pages/pennsylvania-window-tint-lawa certain amount of light has to pass though the windows. This "law" is never inforced and i mean never, every single vehicle i have ever owned has had 20% tint. Ive been pulled over and not once has this been problematic for me or any one i know.

Search the actual inspection laws...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My dealer inspected my Cruze the past two years with tint. The first year I didn't have an issue, this past year the mechanic wouldn't pass it because the tint strip was 1/2" below the as1 line, but for some reason he didn't care about the rest of the car (35%). I had him rip it off to pass, and had a new 5% strip installed the next weekend (was 20%). No big deal, it wasn't dark enough anyway.

I believe dark tint on the front windows is more than a police issue. It is often important for other drivers and pedestrians to make eye contact with a driver. You realize how often you need to see the eyes of the other drivers when riding a motorcycle through city traffic! I appreciate the heat deflecting properties may justify a greater than factory tint, but I don't support the driver being totally hidden from view.

I believe dark tint on the front windows is more than a police issue. It is often important for other drivers and pedestrians to make eye contact with a driver. You realize how often you need to see the eyes of the other drivers when riding a motorcycle through city traffic! I appreciate the heat deflecting properties may justify a greater than factory tint, but I don't support the driver being totally hidden from view.

I know that's right. People who have never ridden for any length of time will never understand just how important it is

I know that's right. People who have never ridden for any length of time will never understand just how important it is

I respectfully disagree. I've ridden my 1978 big twin for 19 years. I don't care if I can see the "whites" of anyone's eyes. It doesn't matter. Actually, if you've ridden for any length of time, you would know that many people will stare at you while driving right into your lane/in front of you/etc.

Window tint is irrelevant when riding.

I can honestly say I've never had anybody stare at me and lane drift at the same time. They might be looking towards you but not at you hints the reason for eye contact. If they are looking towards you without eye contact then that's a good indicator that they want to be where you're at and don't know that you are even there. I've been nearly ran over many times by people not seeing me and busting u turns and stupid stuff but never has that happened when I've made eye contact. As a rider you can right it just might be dead right so it's my job to ride defensively and some clown rolling around with limo tint on all the windows makes him a hazard for himself and me. I'm not against tint but there is a reason you can only go so dark in Oklahoma. I've had 5% on every window less the windshield on a car before and when your not on well lit streets if you don't roll the windows down your basically making blind turns. You couldn't see a kid or dog at night out of them

I respectfully disagree. I've ridden my 1978 big twin for 19 years. I don't care if I can see the "whites" of anyone's eyes. It doesn't matter. Actually, if you've ridden for any length of time, you would know that many people will stare at you while driving right into your lane/in front of you/etc.

Window tint is irrelevant when riding.

Eye contact is not a guarantee for your safety. We have all looked for something while staring right at the thing! However, you stand a much better chance of being seen if you know the driver is looking at you! I find many car drivers will gesture by nodding or waving that they are aware of my presence while I'm on my "big twin". I make this courtesy a practice as well when I'm driving on four wheels!. A few years ago I took a motorcycle safety course to ensure a safe return after a long absence from riding. I highly recommend a refresher course to anyone who has been driving a vehicle for a long period of time. It can be a humbling experience to those of us with decades of driving experience!

I'm just saying, I think the whole eye contact thing isn't a reason for light window tint. I wait until someone flashes their lights at me. No eye contact or waving. I agree, there is a point when it is too dark, the limo tint for example, when trying to back up or sometimes when turning at night.

I would assume most of us, myself included, go to the tint guy and ask him to match the factory rear tint. He puts 20-25% on and we drive off happy. It is slightly darker than legal in most states, but you can easily see out and in. Some inspection stations are more nitpicky than others.

MC riding classes are great. I think they should be required every 3-5yrs to keep a motorcycle endorsement. ...To my brothers that ride...be safe, protect yourself, always assume that others on the road will try to hit you or run you off the road.

I'm just saying, I think the whole eye contact thing isn't a reason for light window tint. I wait until someone flashes their lights at me. No eye contact or waving. I agree, there is a point when it is too dark, the limo tint for example, when trying to back up or sometimes when turning at night.

I would assume most of us, myself included, go to the tint guy and ask him to match the factory rear tint. He puts 20-25% on and we drive off happy. It is slightly darker than legal in most states, but you can easily see out and in. Some inspection stations are more nitpicky than others.

MC riding classes are great. I think they should be required every 3-5yrs to keep a motorcycle endorsement. ...To my brothers that ride...be safe, protect yourself, always assume that others on the road will try to hit you or run you off the road.

I agree. Matching factory tint is just fine. I don't think it inhibits the drive much if at all.

Let me say this, there is almost nothing more scary when doing a traffic stop with a vehicle that has dark tint (illegal) all around and walking up to the vehicle not knowing if there is a gun pointed at you through the rear tinted window that you can not see, why do you think the spot light on the Police vehicle is aimed at the side view mirror on a night time stop? It is to light up the inside of the stopped vehicle to better see inside as the officer approaches. Best thing to do is put the window down let him light up the inside of the vehicle and put your hands out the drivers window so they can be seen.

Not only eye contact is important in some situations.

An experienced driver can "read" what other drivers are up to. if he can see them.

The glance into the mirror, the hand moving to the turn signal switch or the guy who's coming out of a side street but is only looking in the other direction but not mine.

so long

j-ten-ner

Archived