Radio - smaller screen radio and then upgrade

When "building" your truck did you go with the larger screen radio and keep it, or go with the smaller screen basic knowing you could upgrade to something better than the larger screen factory radio? Saw a couple new trucks that are fairly loaded with options but have the smaller screen radio for some reason. Just curious if they are worth looking into and just upgrade the radio....Thanks

I have the 8in and am a car audio buff and would want nothing else. It coupled with an audiocontrol LC2i and a small amp and sub sounds great with the rest of the Bose system. As integrated as the larger screen is I would assume you would lose some if not a lot of settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ordered the best radio I could get. I decided I'm not tearing this truck apart to upgrade everything the way I want, I ordered it the way I want.

That being said, I need to add a subwoofer.

I swapped out the head unit on my 2011 and hated it. Wished I had left it stock. To me it looks cheap seeing a aftermarket radio in a newer vehicle. I've learned to buy things as I want them and not say to myself that I'll change it later lol.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

I was supremely disappointed when I learned that the 8" screen was not available in the 2014 model year regular cab trucks. Then was even more disappointed when they added it to the 2015 model regular cabs. That is the reason I went with the Pioneer AVIC-8200 but would have certainly elected the factory screen if I would have had the option. There are some benefits to the aftermarket units especially for those audiophiles out there, but it does not interface with the screen in the instrument cluster which would be nice.

I didn't realize the 8'' wasn't available on regular cabs in '14.

Us regular cab guys really get screwed, no 6.2L, no leather, no dual climate control, no Bose, etc.

I think the small 4" screen looks way better than the bigger one. Only think it's missing is Bluetooth; I've never gotten an aux cord to work very well.

You could get the small screen with Bluetooth, it is the IO4, the IO3 doesn't haven't the Bluetooth.

Archived