In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Somebody explain how this is healthy for an engine

• 1 year later...

ive been looking online for 3 months now about someone else having a low oil pressure issue and finally found this one. 90 % of responces steered off of the original issue and talked about low fuel level. seriously ??? does your oil pressure drop to 10 psi at street lights when oil gets hot? did you resolve this issue?

8 minutes ago, kamaroman said:

ive been looking online for 3 months now about someone else having a low oil pressure issue and finally found this one. 90 % of responces steered off of the original issue and talked about low fuel level. seriously ??? does your oil pressure drop to 10 psi at street lights when oil gets hot? did you resolve this issue?

There is the gauge pressure on your dash and then there is the 'real' pressure a test gauge would read or can be read with a scan tool such as the GM Tech 2 or Linear Logic's Scan-Gauge II via the OBDII port and they are worlds apart. Via the port the hot idle oil pressure must nut fall below 19 psig. 20-22 hot is normal. Running down the road it will run between 22 and 28 psig. Under certain loads like WOT or over set rpm, like 3,000 a solenoid valve at the end of the circuit closes and pressure will rise to ABOUT 10 psi per 1,000 rpm. It's not really a two stage pump exactly but rather a two stage system. Solenoid open or solenoid closed. 

My particular system is 22 hot idle. 25 cruze and 50 psig max at motor red line of 5,200 rpm. Read by a Scan Gauge. The dash gauge reads just under 40 down the road. One mark lower at idle and pegged matted. It's an 80 psig dash instrument. 

I think GM does this because us old farts think 40 hot and 60 everywhere above an idle is normal. Gen I motor beat that into us. If we saw 20 hot we soil ourselves. 

• 3 weeks later...

I agree it is concerning I hear lots of  noise coming from mine at idle  (tapping and ticking ) and loud and it seams to run rough I also have the start stop system ....I'm switching to mobil 1 oil and filter to see if that makes a difference I only have 9 k on a 18 Silverado 

Edited by Lower 18
Additional info

On 11/23/2018 at 7:45 PM, kamaroman said:

I agree it is concerning I hear lots of  noise coming from mine at idle  (tapping ticking and loud )  and it seams to run rough it is very inconsistent but starting to happen more often ..I'm switching to mobil I oil have 9 k on a 18 Silverado 

9 hours ago, Lower 18 said:

I agree it is concerning I hear lots of  noise coming from mine at idle  (tapping and ticking ) and loud and it seams to run rough I also have the start stop system ....I'm switching to mobil 1 oil and filter to see if that makes a difference I only have 9 k on a 18 Silverado 

I didn't even know they had that Start/Stop on the 18's...glad I don't have that.