Can you send and receive texts on your computer with an Android phone?

I currently have a Blackberry, but when I purchase a new one it will be running on the Android operating system. One feature that I really like with my current phone is the ability to send and receive texts and/or emails etc on my computer, when I'm working in my office without having to pick up my phone. iPhones have a similar app too but I've had no experience with Droids..

Can anyone enlighten me?

That would be turning into an advertisement for MAC. lol

Besides, that's too easy and I like physical keyboards.

There are a number of different programs / options that can get you what you need. There's a Chrome extension called PushBullet that will interact with your phone over WiFi to know when texts come in, alert you, and allow you to respond.

With regard to just going to an iPhone, you might be surprised. The "+" model phones have more real estate for a touch keyboard, and they aren't all that bad. Speech to text is a very viable option that I use a lot on my iPhone, even when composing emails for work. The Messages app on iPhone (also found on your Mac) support iMessage which is MUCH nicer than -ANY- of the messaging products on Android because you can send full resolution photos and videos as well as very length text messages to other Apple users. Crossover to non-Apple still has the same limits for size. You get full sync of all messages across all devices, too.

I have an iPad, two iPhones, a MacBook Pro, and an iMac Retina 5K. I can work from ANY of them and never miss a bit with whatever is going on. I changed to iPhone for the stability (I had all kinds of problems with Android phones and the OS) and longevity (Android OS is obsolete when you buy it, and upgrades have to be carrier-approved so they are few and far between. Upgrading to a new version of the OS almost always requires buying a new phone) and stay for the integration.

• 9 months later...
On 3/28/2017 at 7:36 PM, GPGuy said:

I currently have a Blackberry, but when I purchase a new one it will be running on the Android operating system. One feature that I really like with my current phone is the ability to send and receive texts and/or emails etc on my computer, when I'm working in my office without having to pick up my phone. iPhones have a similar app too but I've had no experience with Droids..

Can anyone enlighten me?

I have a Galaxy note 8 and bought samsung's dex accessory and it allows my phone to transform to a desktop and access my phone through my computer. 

• 2 years later...