Sign in to follow this  
sdeeter19555

Transfercase, transmission, and rear differential?

Anyone got a tutorial on changing the fluids in the transfercase, transmission, or rear differential in a 2017 Equinox with a 2.4l and 6spd? I've searched, found some limited information. I'm not talking how to change it, I'm talking which plug to pull.

The trans looks like a drain plug, a weep plug, and a fill port some where? There apparently is no dipstick on this model. There is conflicting information, is there a fill port (some are yes, some are no)? Do you fill through the weep plug? I know the trans is Dex VI.

The transfercase looks like a normal fill and drain plug, but what fluid? The manual calls for a specific part number, but videos show standard 75w90?

The rear diff should be easy enough, it's all by itself. I should be able to figure it out...the fluid isn't listed, but the dealer told me 75w90 is the fill?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

They don't spell out exactly what to use because they want you to use a GM product. They don't make any money if you use another brand.

The differentials use synthetic 75W-90

EDIT to confirm.....................................................................

Per the 2017 EQ owners manual (available at chevy.com) , the awd transfer case uses Transfer Case Fluid (GM Part No. 88900401, in Canada 89021678) which is a 75W-90 gear lube.

They could easily put that info in the OM but then you would go buy a 75W-90 gear lube somewhere else and not buy their transfer case fluid product. Typical OEM confusion tactics to keep the owner in house.

75W-90 SYNTHETIC AXLE LUBRICANT - GM (88900401)

00bd68031bf37ff0ce9368ad9d43a2d6.jpg?cb=

Edited by elcamino
  • Like 1

So the transfercase uses 75w90 just like the differentials? That's good to know.

OJ, I haven't even looked under it that close yet. I changed to oil for the first time last night at 1448 miles...and I like to change things out early, just because. From what I have seen on the web, it's a fill and drain plug in an aluminum housing. I guess I will investigate more tonight...

They don't spell out exactly what to use because they want you to use a GM product. They don't make any money if you use another brand.

The differentials use synthetic 75W-90

EDIT to confirm.....................................................................

Per the 2017 EQ owners manual (available at chevy.com) , the awd transfer case uses Transfer Case Fluid (GM Part No. 88900401, in Canada 89021678) which is a 75W-90 gear lube.

They could easily put that info in the OM but then you would go buy a 75W-90 gear lube somewhere else and not buy their transfer case fluid product. Typical OEM confusion tactics to keep the owner in house.

75W-90 SYNTHETIC AXLE LUBRICANT - GM (88900401)

00bd68031bf37ff0ce9368ad9d43a2d6.jpg?cb=

Perfect, that's awesome to know!

No to figure out how to change the trans fluid!

grape scent??????? is it a petroleum product or a wine?

Yes, AMSOIL's Severe Gear 75w-90 will work.

CAPACITIES:

Engine, with filter..........5 quarts [1]
Cooling System, Initial Fill..........8.2 quarts
Passenger Car & Light Truck Antifreeze & Coolant
AMSOIL Antifreeze and Engine Coolant
Automatic Transmission, 6T45 Initial Fill..........4.2 quarts [2]
Automatic Transmission, Total Fill
6 speed 6T45..........9 quarts
Differential, Rear..........1.1 pints
Transfer Case, GETRAG 760..........1.7 pints
[1] After refill check oil level.
[2] Actual capacity is between 4.0-6.0 liters.
minus.jpg TORQUES:
Oil Drain Plug.....18 ft/lbs
Transfer Case Getrag 790
Fill Plug 29 ft/lbs
Drain Plug 29 ft/lbs

Ok, what is the trick for changing the filter without making a mess? A rag?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Posted (edited)

The Xfer and Diff are extremely easy to service.  Drain and fill 10mm Allen plugs.  Both do take 75w90.

Filter on trans is not accessible without pulling the trans out of the vehicle.  All one can do is completer fluid changes.  That job is not all that hard either, just a little involved.

here are two videos.  First is video on chaining the diff and Xfer, the second is procedure to service the trans. Videos are on a 2014 Nox, but all years are similar.  Same info for Terrain.

Edited by Cowpie