Sign in to follow this  
sdeeter19555

Transfercase, transmission, and rear differential?

Anyone got a tutorial on changing the fluids in the transfercase, transmission, or rear differential in a 2017 Equinox with a 2.4l and 6spd? I've searched, found some limited information. I'm not talking how to change it, I'm talking which plug to pull.

The trans looks like a drain plug, a weep plug, and a fill port some where? There apparently is no dipstick on this model. There is conflicting information, is there a fill port (some are yes, some are no)? Do you fill through the weep plug? I know the trans is Dex VI.

The transfercase looks like a normal fill and drain plug, but what fluid? The manual calls for a specific part number, but videos show standard 75w90?

The rear diff should be easy enough, it's all by itself. I should be able to figure it out...the fluid isn't listed, but the dealer told me 75w90 is the fill?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

They don't spell out exactly what to use because they want you to use a GM product. They don't make any money if you use another brand.

The differentials use synthetic 75W-90

EDIT to confirm.....................................................................

Per the 2017 EQ owners manual (available at chevy.com) , the awd transfer case uses Transfer Case Fluid (GM Part No. 88900401, in Canada 89021678) which is a 75W-90 gear lube.

They could easily put that info in the OM but then you would go buy a 75W-90 gear lube somewhere else and not buy their transfer case fluid product. Typical OEM confusion tactics to keep the owner in house.

75W-90 SYNTHETIC AXLE LUBRICANT - GM (88900401)

00bd68031bf37ff0ce9368ad9d43a2d6.jpg?cb=

Edited by elcamino
  • Like 1

So the transfercase uses 75w90 just like the differentials? That's good to know.

OJ, I haven't even looked under it that close yet. I changed to oil for the first time last night at 1448 miles...and I like to change things out early, just because. From what I have seen on the web, it's a fill and drain plug in an aluminum housing. I guess I will investigate more tonight...

They don't spell out exactly what to use because they want you to use a GM product. They don't make any money if you use another brand.

The differentials use synthetic 75W-90

EDIT to confirm.....................................................................

Per the 2017 EQ owners manual (available at chevy.com) , the awd transfer case uses Transfer Case Fluid (GM Part No. 88900401, in Canada 89021678) which is a 75W-90 gear lube.

They could easily put that info in the OM but then you would go buy a 75W-90 gear lube somewhere else and not buy their transfer case fluid product. Typical OEM confusion tactics to keep the owner in house.

75W-90 SYNTHETIC AXLE LUBRICANT - GM (88900401)

00bd68031bf37ff0ce9368ad9d43a2d6.jpg?cb=

Perfect, that's awesome to know!

No to figure out how to change the trans fluid!

grape scent??????? is it a petroleum product or a wine?

Yes, AMSOIL's Severe Gear 75w-90 will work.

CAPACITIES:

Engine, with filter..........5 quarts [1]
Cooling System, Initial Fill..........8.2 quarts
Passenger Car & Light Truck Antifreeze & Coolant
AMSOIL Antifreeze and Engine Coolant
Automatic Transmission, 6T45 Initial Fill..........4.2 quarts [2]
Automatic Transmission, Total Fill
6 speed 6T45..........9 quarts
Differential, Rear..........1.1 pints
Transfer Case, GETRAG 760..........1.7 pints
[1] After refill check oil level.
[2] Actual capacity is between 4.0-6.0 liters.
minus.jpg TORQUES:
Oil Drain Plug.....18 ft/lbs
Transfer Case Getrag 790
Fill Plug 29 ft/lbs
Drain Plug 29 ft/lbs

Ok, what is the trick for changing the filter without making a mess? A rag?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk