factory OIL in a 2016 2500HD 6.0L ??

No different than a non-DI engine. Both 5w30 and 10w30 are 30 weight oils, pure and simple. A 5w30 will stay within maximum standard cold crank viscosity (7000 cSt) down to -30c / -22F and a 10w30 will stay within the maximum CCS down to -25c / -13F. As long as your summer travels do not get below zero temp, there is no worry. Both a 5w30 and a 10w30 have the exact same viscosity when you are driving down the road. At 100F, there is little difference between the two either. About a 10 cSt spread. At 200F, they are both identical.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

See my other post above this. 5w30 synthetic blend. GM factory fill oil for a 2016 would have been ACDelco Dexos 5w30 synthetic blend. It has been replaced by Gen 2 Dexos1 spec which is now full synthetic.

It would be interesting to know what oil GM is using in the motor & assembly plants. At 1 point between '97 & '08, I looked @ a 45 gallon drum of (5W30 or 10W30, not sure) motor oil that was in the final repair area of the plant for topping up levels. I seem to recall it had a GM PN & was supplied by Texaco. No mention of AC Delco on the drum, even though GM dealers were selling AC Delco branded oil.

It would be interesting to know what oil GM is using in the motor & assembly plants. At 1 point between '97 & '08, I looked @ a 45 gallon drum of (5W30 or 10W30, not sure) motor oil that was in the final repair area of the plant for topping up levels. I seem to recall it had a GM PN & was supplied by Texaco. No mention of AC Delco on the drum, even though GM dealers were selling AC Delco branded oil.

GM uses whoever provides the cheapest bid, it can change daily or should I say by the load, all it has to do is meet the spec they require.

Factory oil isn't a concern of mine, by 500 miles it is getting drained and a quality oil and filter are going back on. I grease the suspension at that time as well as the factory nor the GM dealer can't be bothered to do it...

GM uses whoever provides the cheapest bid, it can change daily or should I say by the load, all it has to do is meet the spec they require.

Factory oil isn't a concern of mine, by 500 miles it is getting drained and a quality oil and filter are going back on. I grease the suspension at that time as well as the factory nor the GM dealer can't be bothered to do it...

Quite true, I was remiss in leaving that out. Which ever vendor can provide the spec oil @ the cheapest price. I wouldn't be too concerned who the supplier was.

Even though I could never find anything that said to use a synthetic (since 2000), I've used Pennzoil synthetic. After the 2 free oil changes, I'll be using Mobil 1.

Quite true, I was remiss in leaving that out. Which ever vendor can provide the spec oil @ the cheapest price. I wouldn't be too concerned who the supplier was.

Even though I could never find anything that said to use a synthetic (since 2000), I've used Pennzoil synthetic. After the 2 free oil changes, I'll be using Mobil 1.

Why not use Pennzoil Platinum? Much better oil then Mobil 1 which is not even a true synthetic anymore.

Why not use Pennzoil Platinum? Much better oil then Mobil 1 which is not even a true synthetic anymore.

That's a myth...research that, it was a lawsuit against another company that wasn't a full synthetic brought by Mobil.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

That's a myth...research that, it was a lawsuit against another company that wasn't a full synthetic brought by Mobil.

Mobil 1 is not synthetic, this is a fact, Mobil 1 extended performance is.

Not sure why anyone wastes time on the "true" synthetic / "faux" synthetic nonsense. Group III "faux" synthetic is virtually the same in performance and capability as Group IV "true" synthetic. Fact is, Group III has some features that exceed Group IV performance, just as Group IV has some features that exceed Group III. Group III easily falls into the capability of a full synthetic and is aptly named as such. Then there is natural gas to liquid version that falls in there that is also "unofficially" called a synthetic.

http://machinerylubrication.com/Read/533/base-oil-trends

And any motor oil has about 20% makeup of additive package, which really defines how good a particular oil truly is in protecting the engine. Fill up a modern engine with the best full synthetic base oil alone without a proper additive package, and that motor will grenade just as fast as if you thru in some motor oil you found from WW I military surplus.

ab4cbbf153f0c70b77be94c9684ed8e0.jpg

Yes, it does say it is a full synthetic. But is it Group III (petroleum severe hydrocracked), Group IV (made from ethylene gas which is derived from natural gas), or Group V (which is anything that doesn't fall into Group I thru Group IV)? Ah, they won't let you know what "full" synthetic they are using. I would be willing to bet my military pension that it is a mix of Group III and Group IV. How much of each, that is a mystery. So I guess you could technically call it a full synthetic blend. They just left the "blend" word off the back end of "Full Synthetic". Actually, a Group III / Group IV blend is a darn good combination for a full synthetic. Each group brings something special to the party. Add in a killer add pack and you have a oil worth your money.

Yes, it does say it is a full synthetic. But is it Group III (petroleum severe hydrocracked), Group IV (made from ethylene gas which is derived from natural gas), or Group V (which is anything that doesn't fall into Group I thru Group IV)? Ah, they won't let you know what "full" synthetic they are using.

It's still synthetic, period.

Archived