Camper shell...??

So I currently have a bakflip MFX4 on my truck...it does ok, but it does leak...more of the issue is that my wife started a new business and in some instances it would be very beneficial to have more room, dare I say a camper shell.

No offense to anyone who might have one, but I'm not into the old school multi-level jobs...but I am trying to warm up to the cab-level versions...we just started this process, so I'm not even real sure about pricing and models, etc.

I would prefer kind of a sporty look to enhance the look of my truck rather than detract from it...

If you could post some pics, model/manf, prices etc, and recommendations, I would certainly appreciate it.

really so far I have come across Leer, ARE, Snugtop...but haven't really found much about each of them yet...

Thanks in advance.

thanks, I'll check that one out...i did a search and found a couple threads that had conversations, but not much current...not sure how I missed that one.

I just went through this process and I had an easier time buying the truck than the top! Leer, Century, Jason etc. have base models that are competitive in price and quality. You need to determine what options you want and go from there. I settled for a Century Crown with sliding front window, carpet roof and power outlets. My cost would not be of help to you as I live in Canada but I could get a similarly equipped model from other manufacturers for about the same price. I picked Century over the others because it is the brand promoted by my nearby truck accessory store. If money is not a major concern then I recommend looking at SnugTop premium caps like the XTR. Money is the only reason why this wasn't my first choice!

• Like 1

So I currently have a bakflip MFX4 on my truck...it does ok, but it does leak...more of the issue is that my wife started a new business and in some instances it would be very beneficial to have more room, dare I say a camper shell.

No offense to anyone who might have one, but I'm not into the old school multi-level jobs...but I am trying to warm up to the cab-level versions...we just started this process, so I'm not even real sure about pricing and models, etc.

I would prefer kind of a sporty look to enhance the look of my truck rather than detract from it...

If you could post some pics, model/manf, prices etc, and recommendations, I would certainly appreciate it.

really so far I have come across Leer, ARE, Snugtop...but haven't really found much about each of them yet...

Thanks in advance.

Between my father and i spanning 7 different trucks and three different cap brands, they have all leaked. My father is on his third warranty replacement from his current cap for leaking. So I would just say set your expectations that initially or over time you may see a little river of water leak in after a car wash or good thunderstorm. If you have a bed liner usually any water that gets in stays in the channels and won't get your stuff wet.

That said, I like the leer 100xl. I spent about $1800 last summer and got the removable front window which makes cleaning the glass easy. They can also have your back hatch door lock with your remote. Also the leer has a T connector that plugs into you trailer harness so they don't have to splice any wires. A nice touch.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

that looks good...do you have any other angles that show the back? what make/model is that one?

I purchased mine off Craigslist...color and price were right. Had to drive 750 miles for it, but even with the gas, it was still less than the ones I found close to me that would have had to be painted to match.

20160407_183749_zps2axllqms.jpg

I just went through this process and I had an easier time buying the truck than the top! Leer, Century, Jason etc. have base models that are competitive in price and quality. You need to determine what options you want and go from there. I settled for a Century Crown with sliding front window, carpet roof and power outlets. My cost would not be of help to you as I live in Canada but I could get a similarly equipped model from other manufacturers for about the same price. I picked Century over the others because it is the brand promoted by my nearby truck accessory store. If money is not a major concern then I recommend looking at SnugTop premium caps like the XTR. Money is the only reason why this wasn't my first choice!

Thanks. would you mind sharing some pics? Money still doesn't grow on my trees...so it is definitely a factor, but I don't mind paying more if the product is noticeably... better.

like your truck and love your University! I hope i'm not sounding like a jerk, but it kinda looks like the shell is slide back a hint and not matching up 100%, is that due to the design or just angle of the pic?

got this on CL for a good deal. im torn on the look but had to take it off to pick up some couches.

rtltgg.jpg

i have heard mixed reviews on the watertight-ness of the shells, but in almost all cases, they seem better than the tonneau covers...i have also heard that the best thing to do is pay a little extra for (either an extra gasket/seal or just a premium one verses the standard one that comes with the shell...but not sure if that is an end all beat all solution.)

do you have any pics you could possibly post?

Between my father and i spanning 7 different trucks and three different cap brands, they have all leaked. My father is on his third warranty replacement from his current cap for leaking. So I would just say set your expectations that initially or over time you may see a little river of water leak in after a car wash or good thunderstorm. If you have a bed liner usually any water that gets in stays in the channels and won't get your stuff wet.

That said, I like the leer 100xl. I spent about $1800 last summer and got the removable front window which makes cleaning the glass easy. They can also have your back hatch door lock with your remote. Also the leer has a T connector that plugs into you trailer harness so they don't have to splice any wires. A nice touch.

Here are a few pics. The leer has a nice piece of curbed fiberglass on the bottom of the rear hatch that goes over tailgate. It also has a curved glass. Just make sure whatever cap you choose get the removable front window or you will never be able to clean your glass between the truck and cab.

Check the leer website they have coupons usually for $75 off or a free upgrade to a removable front window. I called around 4 different leer cap dealers and their price ranged about $300 for the same cap.99e488dfa5d7afd9256bf39842212a75.jpg391024abb0cde5d920ba762cbf4abca4.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks. would you mind sharing some pics? Money still doesn't grow on my trees...so it is definitely a factor, but I don't mind paying more if the product is noticeably... better.

I ordered mine 2 weeks ago so another week or two before it arrives. I will post a picture when it is installed.

• Like 1

that looks good...do you have any other angles that show the back? what make/model is that one?

That's an ARE Z series - you can tell by the split side window where the back half tips out.

Edit: scratch that, apparently it's a LEER 100XL. I stand corrected :)

The sleeker looking caps will generally be more expensive and wont provide as much ventilation because the windows don't slide open or open as far. The sleeker ones generally also have hidden or minimized hinge mounts on the back glass.

I would highly recommended finding one that can be set up to lock with your fob, since your tailgate does the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by corncob
  • Like 1