Camper shell...??

Here are a few pics. The leer has a nice piece of curbed fiberglass on the bottom of the rear hatch that goes over tailgate. It also has a curved glass. Just make sure whatever cap you choose get the removable front window or you will never be able to clean your glass between the truck and cab.

Check the leer website they have coupons usually for $75 off or a free upgrade to a removable front window. I called around 4 different leer cap dealers and their price ranged about $300 for the same cap.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Very nice looking cap! I heard mixed opinions on the flip down front window so I chose just the sliding window option. I hope that I don't regret this decision! The length of the list of options available for a new canopy is actually quite surprising!

I purchased mine off Craigslist...color and price were right. Had to drive 750 miles for it, but even with the gas, it was still less than the ones I found close to me that would have had to be painted to match.

20160407_183749_zps2axllqms.jpg

That's a sweet looking truck. I've been looking for a used Leer 100XQ or an ARE Z series for a month now - they seem to be in short supply on Craigslist. I'll definitely have to paint mine to match with Pepperdust being a new color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by corncob

That's an ARE Z series - you can tell by the split side window where the back half tips out.

The sleeker looking caps will generally be more expensive and wont provide as much ventilation because the windows don't slide open or open as far. The sleeker ones generally also have hidden or minimized hinge mounts on the back glass.

I would highly recommended finding one that can be set up to lock with your fob, since your tailgate does the same.

For all those keeping score, this is a LEER. You can tell from the LEER patches on the rear side corners. I don't know the model, maybe xl or xr, but it ran me $400. It has no options to speak of. Also, mine is slid back on my truck because it is made to fit a crew cab.

At times, and not many, you just get what best suits your needs or desires. My desire was to have a shell on my truck and since I had been looking for about a year for a used one and this one popped up, I bought what I could get. It isn't seated correctly and leaks, but it only has my bike and some other stuff for camping that sets on top of wood and waterproof material. No fold-down front window (which I wanted) but if I really was anal about the space between the cap and cab, I would have slid it backward already. Since I can't see through due to the darkness of the windows, I really don't know how dirty the windows are, but that cap has been on there for 3 years....I'm guessing pretty damn dirty.

The only thing that I have done was put more tint on the windows to make it black. The shell itself had 20% or so jpre-tinted on it...I had 5% slapped over that.

Mountain%20Loop%20truck1_zps9lvqcfph.jpg

That's an ARE Z series - you can tell by the split side window where the back half tips out.

The sleeker looking caps will generally be more expensive and wont provide as much ventilation because the windows don't slide open or open as far. The sleeker ones generally also have hidden or minimized hinge mounts on the back glass.

I would highly recommended finding one that can be set up to lock with your fob, since your tailgate does the same.

post-171224-0-46198100-1491403053_thumb.jpg

post-171224-0-21322600-1491403067_thumb.jpg

Edited by Onlyina_Chevy
  • Like 1

For all those keeping score, this is a LEER. You can tell from the LEER patches on the rear side corners. I don't know the model, maybe xl or xr, but it ran me $400.

Haha that'll teach me to open my big mouth. I edited my original post in an attempt to avoid confusing anyone. Good looking truck [emoji1360]

• Like 1

It's all good.

I would say that all the big name brands have the same setup as far as side window choices and you really couldn't go wrong with LEER, ARE, JUSTIN, Century or ATC. I wouldn't pay the price brand new with all the used ones out there. Just wait your turn to find the one that suits your needs and/or budget.

like your truck and love your University! I hope i'm not sounding like a jerk, but it kinda looks like the shell is slide back a hint and not matching up 100%, is that due to the design or just angle of the pic?

no youre totally right man. readjusted it later that day lol!

• Like 1

ARE Z series with drop down sliding front glass, LED strip lighting, dual clothes hangers, roof tracks, and electric lock that works with your factory fob. $2600 ( but I got two higher quotes ranging to $3400 so be sure to call multiple dealers). I also readjusted mine for a perfect fit and I bolted it down instead of clamps. The last one is an older picture so you can see the tracks and back glass.

82ee934915e371ffed5b79bb6a705865.jpg33360e8ff64e2068f6262df0d4aed70c.jpgf452607cb602e6cc93a351081e035f1d.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk. My build thread: http://www.gm-trucks...-4wd-silverado/

• Like 2

ARE Z series with drop down sliding front glass, LED strip lighting, dual clothes hangers, roof tracks, and electric lock that works with your factory fob. $2600 ( but I got two higher quotes ranging to $3400 so be sure to call multiple dealers). I also readjusted mine for a perfect fit and I bolted it down instead of clamps. The last one is an older picture so you can see the tracks and back glass.

82ee934915e371ffed5b79bb6a705865.jpg33360e8ff64e2068f6262df0d4aed70c.jpgf452607cb602e6cc93a351081e035f1d.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk. My build thread: http://www.gm-trucks...-4wd-silverado/

Whoa, whoa, whoa....back the pony up. You're gonna list all those options and not take a pic showcasing it? Sure, you have a build thread, but if you are gonna brag about options of your shell on a thread about shelsl, you need to post pics of how you've put those options to use. Anyone can go to the ARE site and look at their pre-staged photos...we want to see how YOU put those options to use.

Edited by Onlyina_Chevy

Whoa, whoa, whoa....back the pony up. You're gonna list all those options and not take a pic showcasing it? Sure, you have a build thread, but if you are gonna brag about options of your shell on a thread about shelsl, you need to post pics of how you've put those options to use. Anyone can go to the ARE site and look at their pre-staged photos...we want to see how YOU put those options to use.

I posted the options for pricing reference. You can get the same look minus the tracks for less.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk. My build thread: http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?/topic/192614-Tenscourts'-2016-LTZ/Z71-CCSB-4WD-Silverado

thanks for all the posts...this has been very informative...question for any of your Leer folks...what is the difference between the XL vs XQ? visually the only thing i can see is the window looks to be solid with the XQ...but it does say that they are still able to open and vent...is that the case?

The 100XQ windows tilt out from the bottom. And the 100XQ is a tad more expensive - I'm not sure if it comes with more standard options are not. You can download the brochure from LEER's website, it has the standard tick mark "standard/optional feature by model" table.

As I posted in the other thread, I scored a sweet deal on a used one this weekend. And I also found two LEER 100XR and one 100XQ in the Phoenix area for around 1k each. The two I have pictures of are blue, and the 100XR has a roof rack. PM me if you want contact deals - they are sitting in used inventory at a topper dealer.

dc035e13b989f471ba4279fe2c80e881.jpg

f584b60ecb893fc4fcec8d9f3bdcab65.jpg

As I posted in the other thread, I scored a sweet deal on a used one this weekend. And I also found two LEER 100XR and one 100XQ in the Phoenix area for around 1k each. The two I have pictures of are blue, and the 100XR has a roof rack. PM me if you want contact deals - they are sitting in used inventory at a topper dealer.

dc035e13b989f471ba4279fe2c80e881.jpg

f584b60ecb893fc4fcec8d9f3bdcab65.jpg

Is the cap color matched to your truck or is it just the pictures that make it look slightly different?

Is the cap color matched to your truck or is it just the pictures that make it look slightly different?

Why, you don't think it matched exactly? [emoji23]

It doesn't match, but will be painted. My truck is Pepperdust and I knew I wouldn't find a used one in that color because it's new. But I will still come out ahead cost-wise after painting vs a new one. So I was open to any color, but the one I found just so happened to be Brownstone/Autumn Bronze. Instead of looking completely off for a few days, it now just looks like a horrible paint matching job.