Camper shell...??

Yeah if the price was right you made a good call. I've had two trucks with metallic paint and the topper never quite match in certain light. That's why I thought maybe yours looked different. But if get enough dirt road on your truck it all looks the same color

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I paid about $1,600 out the door for my shell from a local dealer. It is a Leer 100R. I had a coupon for a free headliner. I upgraded to a flip up side window. I would not by a shell without one. My next shell will have them on both sides. I love the flip up window because it lets me access stuff in the front of the bed.

Couple questions about used toppers...I am talking with someone about a used Leer XQ...1) I am curious how much its going to cost me to have it repainted to match my truck (roughly)? 2) has anyone Rhino Lined them instead of painting, curious how that would look on a black truck? 3) it has a fixed front window...can you get/have installed a fold out or removable window or once they are made, they are made?

thanks in advance!

Couple questions about used toppers...I am talking with someone about a used Leer XQ...1) I am curious how much its going to cost me to have it repainted to match my truck (roughly)? 2) has anyone Rhino Lined them instead of painting, curious how that would look on a black truck? 3) it has a fixed front window...can you get/have installed a fold out or removable window or once they are made, they are made?

thanks in advance!

There is a member who Rhino lined his canopy for his white truck. It looks good, imo. One plus for buying new (besides getting what you want) is that they come with a warranty. By the time you have windows replaced and a paint job on a used purchase, you may be getting close to the price of buying new.

• Like 1

Yeah if the price was right you made a good call. I've had two trucks with metallic paint and the topper never quite match in certain light. That's why I thought maybe yours looked different. But if get enough dirt road on your truck it all looks the same color

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I picked it up for $800 with clamps, keys, and original paperwork. And zero sales tax. I think it was a steal for the shape this thing is in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks in advance!

Call around for quotes on the paint job. Ask them if they are painting it with the windows in or not. Each place and locale will be different - don't rely on other people's experiences. The places may not give you an exact quote until they see the topper, but they should be able to give you a range.

• Like 1

A buddy of mine said I should look into a vinyl wrap instead of painting the camper...any thoughts on that?

I hadn't thought of that, but it's not a bad option. I would check prices on both.

• Like 2

Those top of the line Leer toppers are very nice. They look like they are part of the truck when they have real tinted glass in them and they have some awesome options. I had one on a Colorado and loved it.

Edited by Likarok
  • Like 1

Oddly enough...I got quotes for Snugtop, ARE, and Leer. The Leer XQ I got quotes from two different vendors here in town...and one of them quoted me cheaper than both the ARE and Snugtop...the ARE was only $200 cheaper than the Snugtop, i thought that was odd...anyway...i liked the look of the Leer XQ best...so the price is helping me with that decision..

The 100XQ windows tilt out from the bottom. And the 100XQ is a tad more expensive - I'm not sure if it comes with more standard options are not. You can download the brochure from LEER's website, it has the standard tick mark "standard/optional feature by model" table.

btw. i found out that the hinges on the XL and XQ are different...and i think structurally the XQ hinges are much better...

btw. i found out that the hinges on the XL and XQ are different...and i think structurally the XQ hinges are much better...

I looked at several hinges and really liked the beefy hinges on the ARE Z series. A dealer that sold both ARE and Snugtop showed me the hinge difference. The Snugtop ones he had in stock (may not have been all of them, granted) were equipped with hinges that looked like small, flat basic cabinet hinges.

post-162426-0-11583500-1492631996.jpg

I looked at several hinges and really liked the beefy hinges on the ARE Z series. A dealer that sold both ARE and Snugtop showed me the hinge difference. The Snugtop ones he had in stock (may not have been all of them, granted) were equipped with hinges that looked like small, flat basic cabinet hinges.

yes, that is my understanding that the snugtop and the leer XL have a pin style hinge (i think that's what it is called) that clips on the outside of the glass and to the outside top of the camper shell...the ARE Z and XQ have more of a curved bracket type hinge that is hidden inside the camper and no visible hinge on the outside...like this:

attachicon.gifhinge.JPG

yes, that is my understanding that the snugtop and the leer XL have a pin style hinge (i think that's what it is called) that clips on the outside of the glass and to the outside top of the camper shell...the ARE Z and XQ have more of a curved bracket type hinge that is hidden inside the camper and no visible hinge on the outside...like this:

Yep, that's spot on [emoji1360]

• Like 1

A buddy of mine said I should look into a vinyl wrap instead of painting the camper...any thoughts on that?

I just had a used topper wrapped in black on my Sierra and it looks great. In some light you can see a difference in the base color (the Sierra is Black but the black has a little bit of blue in it if you look super close vs. the wrap which has a little warmer tone to it) but for $550 it was significantly cheaper and faster than paint. I'd highly recommend it.

dgUZaBs.jpg

Edited by DLS-001
  • Like 1