Gas Mileage 5.3 3.42 vs 3.73

Hey Everyone

I'm new here, and do not currently own a GM truck. I currently own a 2006 Nissan Titan and I'm starting to look to get into something newer. I do tow a 28 foot 7000 pound travel trailer from time to time in the summer. I like my Titan, but want to go to something different. My father in law and brother in law both have Sierra's a '15 All Terrain and a '16 Kodiak.

What I want to know from those that are in the know is what kind of fuel economy are you seeing in your 3.73 truck vs those that have the 3.42 trucks. I know my father in law has a 3.42 truck and gets steady 21 MPG on the highway.

I'm well aware that these are trucks and are not going to be great, but considering my Titan gets a stead 13 MPG just hauling itself around and 9 MPG hauling my TT I am looking to do better. The 3.73 truck is the one I am looking at for the added towing ability, but the 3.42 is no slouch.

Anyway if you could shoot your number and gear ratio as a reply, as well any guys with the 3.42 towing anywhere near the 7000 pounds what are your thoughts, feelings and such with that setup?

Thanks

Edited by dman1458

Even my 2015 2500 6.0 with 4.10 does slightly better averages than the numbers you stated about your Titan. The 1500's with the Ecotec engines do considerably better mpg's than in days past. You can get respectable mpg from either the 3.42 or the 3.73, but I am a firm advocate for higher number rear ratios for anything more than grocery getter work. A much better experience, easier on driver and vehicle, and not that much, if any, hit on mpg. The key is driving style. A poor driver will never get good mpg, a good driver can get good mpg from anything. I can get 17-18 mpg on non towing road trips in my 2500 6.0 with 4.10, Z71 and snow plow prep packages, and BFG KO2 tires one size larger than stock rubber. I cannot see how a good driver could not consistently get well into the 20's with a 1500 even with 3.73 if driven right. Many folks like to blame the vehicle, when it is their own driving style that is the problem. You don't have to drive like granny to get good mpg, but you never will if you are trying to use traffic lights as your own NHRA starting gate and seeing how many other drivers you can beat to the next light, or driving a pickup like a sports car everywhere. And lifting a pickup to nose bleed levels and putting on tires meant for a farm tractor don't help either.

Edited by Cowpie
  • Like 4

How often would you say once and a while is with the trailer? The 3.42 gears would work based on the weights you spec, but a 5.3 NHT with the 3.73 gears would make even more breeze work out of that trailer, and still net you strong empty MPG.

• Like 1

How often would you say once and a while is with the trailer? The 3.42 gears would work based on the weights you spec, but a 5.3 NHT with the 3.73 gears would make even more breeze work out of that trailer, and still net you strong empty MPG.

+1

I just did round trip almost 1000 miles. On the way back it was 22.0 MPG's into the wind. Super impressed with the MPG'S

Like the posters above I agree with 5.3NHT for you 3.73......But?

If your pulling that thing a lot than go with the 6.2L....But 2-3 times yearly probably not needed

• Like 1

I average 15-16 winter / 19 summer MPG with 5.3L / 3.42.

Tows our 8000# camper well. Suspension is a bit soft for such a heavy trailer, but otherwise no worries.

Suspension will be soft with a non NHT truck, get the NHT package for sure if your towing a TT trailer plus you get the better mirrors. If you can swing it get the 6.2, I had a 2015 5.3 and now have a 2016 6.2 and there was no difference if fuel mileage. I'm getting 23MPG everyday driving. I also pull a 10K fifth wheel with no trouble.

Edited by Diver6
  • Like 2

I would take it out 10 times, only in the summers. I'm in Canada so no mountains or anything. I take it one trip up to northish Ontario which is hilly secondary roads. Some of this will be highway driving.

• Like 1

Even my 2015 2500 6.0 with 4.10 does slightly better averages than the numbers you stated about your Titan. The 1500's with the Ecotec engines do considerably better mpg's than in days past. You can get respectable mpg from either the 3.42 or the 3.73, but I am a firm advocate for higher number rear ratios for anything more than grocery getter work. A much better experience, easier on driver and vehicle, and not that much, if any, hit on mpg. The key is driving style. A poor driver will never get good mpg, a good driver can get good mpg from anything. I can get 17-18 mpg on non towing road trips in my 2500 6.0 with 4.10, Z71 and snow plow prep packages, and BFG KO2 tires one size larger than stock rubber. I cannot see how a good driver could not consistently get well into the 20's with a 1500 even with 3.73 if driven right. Many folks like to blame the vehicle, when it is their own driving style that is the problem. You don't have to drive like granny to get good mpg, but you never will if you are trying to use traffic lights as your own NHRA starting gate and seeing how many other drivers you can beat to the next light, or driving a pickup like a sports car everywhere. And lifting a pickup to nose bleed levels and putting on tires meant for a farm tractor don't help either.

Thanks. A Titan with your setup would be in the 10's as a daily driver. It's a nice truck, tows like a dream but the everyday daily driving bad fuel economy is getting old. It's too bad they can't figure out how to get good mileage. GM seems to have this figured out.

i got a 3.42 truck, with heavy tires, level and no air dam i average 17-19 highway with no v4. i put bags on the back to help with my trailer but the truck just chugs along pulling 4000-5000lbs. if i did it again id get the 3.73 i think that is the sweet spot with the 6 speed. if it had a little more gear the truck would just do everything better, gas millage aside. cant be much worse mileage maybe 1mpg over the entire range of city higway

2015 5.3 3.42 gears with stock tires, air dam, still using the cylinder deactivation, but using an MIT intake and an exhaust. I also run 93 Octane

Best mpg was 26 going to the eastern shore of Va, 90% of the time, mixed driving back and forth to work, I get 18 ish on winter gas, 20-21 on summer gas.

Towing on 93 octane has been fairly consistent 10 mpg.

I recently ran a couple of tanks of non-ethanol 93. Back and forth to work, jumped up to 22 mpg. Towing got a respectable 12 mpg.

3.42 I can get between 9 to 11 MPG towing 6000lbs

Like others I get an mixed daily of 19 mpg which drops to around 15 mpg in the winter.

If the wind is blowing bad while towing i've been as low as 7 mpg....

Today on my into work it is getting almost 21 mpg the truck is just teasing me though ...

Suspension will be soft with a non NHT truck, get the NHT package for sure if your towing a TT trailer plus you get the better mirrors. If you can swing it get the 6.2, I had a 2015 5.3 and now have a 2016 6.2 and there was no difference if fuel mileage. I'm getting 23MPG everyday driving. I also pull a 10K fifth wheel with no trouble.

with the 6.2 are you running premium (as recommended), or only when towing, or never?

I would go with the 3.73 gears if you can, you may or may not get worse gas mileage than a 5.3 with the 3.42, depends on the terrain. My last truck had a 4.10 (2002 with 4 speed auto) and it got the same if not better gas mileage than my old company truck which had the 3.73 rear gear. I live in hilly terrain and rarely on the interstate so the lower gear works in my favor.

• Like 1

2015 5.3 3.42 gears with stock tires, air dam, still using the cylinder deactivation, but using an MIT intake and an exhaust. I also run 93 Octane

Best mpg was 26 going to the eastern shore of Va, 90% of the time, mixed driving back and forth to work, I get 18 ish on winter gas, 20-21 on summer gas.

Towing on 93 octane has been fairly consistent 10 mpg.

I recently ran a couple of tanks of non-ethanol 93. Back and forth to work, jumped up to 22 mpg. Towing got a respectable 12 mpg.

what Free said.... i have the 2016 5.3 with 3.42.... i get about 17.5 daily commutes using 89 oct.... the other day we drove to burnet, then out to fayette over the weekend, and got 18.5...