Add Heated Steering Wheel to 2017 LT/LTZ?

I'm in the market for a new truck, and I'm tempted to hold out for an LTZ Plus model, mostly for the heated steering wheel. If I can add the heated steering wheel to a 2017 LT/LTZ model, I might be willing to sacrifice some other options and compromise on a lower priced truck.

I found conflicting info on the 2014/2015 models regarding whether it's a plug-in swap or if there's wiring involved. Does anyone know for sure about 2017 models?

I'm in the market for a new truck, and I'm tempted to hold out for an LTZ Plus model, mostly for the heated steering wheel. If I can add the heated steering wheel to a 2017 LT/LTZ model, I might be willing to sacrifice some other options and compromise on a lower priced truck.

I found conflicting info on the 2014/2015 models regarding whether it's a plug-in swap or if there's wiring involved. Does anyone know for sure about 2017 models?

If it was me, I'd just go for the higher trim model so I don't have to mess around with adding this after the fact. Maybe I'm just lazy though lol.

The wiring should be the same from the 2016 LT to the 2017 LT. You'll have to follow the instruction in the previous thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't see anything on 2016s, but I'd love a link if you have one handy. Since 2014s and '15s are a mixed bag, I thought it may have been standardized in '16/17 MYs. I know they switched the infotainment, and I was uncertain of whether or not wiring changed between those years.

If it was me, I'd just go for the higher trim model so I don't have to mess around with adding this after the fact. Maybe I'm just lazy though lol.

That's what I'm leaning toward, but I have a steering wheel puller and the other tools I would need. If I'm able to add the $400 wheel myself, without splicing wires, then I'd be more inclined to buy the 2LT model with fewer options and potentially save $4k. Just trying to weigh my options so I can make the most informed decision possible.

Does an LTZ not have it as an option? My friend had a 2016 LTZ that had a heated wheel. I'd give it a go though, mods are fun IMO.

Does an LTZ not have it as an option? My friend had a 2016 LTZ that had a heated wheel. I'd give it a go though, mods are fun IMO.

It's optional on the LTZ, only as part of the LTZ Plus package. I'm having trouble finding a truck equipped exactly how I want, and it would open up my options if the heated wheel is easy to add. I can't do a custom order because I need to purchase sooner rather than later, and I don't want to hack the wiring on a brand new truck. I'd seriously consider a truck without the LTZ Plus package if I can simply plug in a heated wheel on my own.

One guy mentioned that if you have adjustable pedals the wiring is in place. I don't know if this is on every truck, but it would be easy if it was.

Have you talked to the dealership about transporting one? I know one of the local GMC vehicles will look just about statewide in my area.

One guy mentioned that if you have adjustable pedals the wiring is in place. I don't know if this is on every truck, but it would be easy if it was.

Have you talked to the dealership about transporting one? I know one of the local GMC vehicles will look just about statewide in my area.

The adjustable pedals and heated steering wheel are in the same package on the LTZ, but that'd be a great piece of information if it holds true on the LT models. And my buddy who works at the local dealer said he can set up a trade. I'm just very particular about what I want due to the large investment.

The plug should be under the dash in the wiring. It's either live or not. Only have to add a single wire to make it hot. Then just add the clockspring and wheel. Hopefully I'll be doing mine when I get a good deal on the heated wheel.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
18 hours ago, pgamboa said:

Is there any way to tell if that wire is hot prior to me ripping my steering wheel off? This is probably the only other option from the factory that I wish I had (outside the 6.2 obviously). I'm also a bit scared about lining up the new clock spring and removing the airbag truth be told but I suppose you've gotta pay to play.

1 hour ago, Penguin VII said:

Is there any way to tell if that wire is hot prior to me ripping my steering wheel off? This is probably the only other option from the factory that I wish I had (outside the 6.2 obviously). I'm also a bit scared about lining up the new clock spring and removing the airbag truth be told but I suppose you've gotta pay to play.

The wire to check and see if it’s hot will be under the knee bolster, under the dash. You don’t have to take the wheel off to check for power on that. 

1 hour ago, lagerman72 said:

The wire to check and see if it’s hot will be under the knee bolster, under the dash. You don’t have to take the wheel off to check for power on that. 

Good to know. Prob start collecting the parts over the summer and have her ready in the fall.

Archived