"Free" GM / Chevrolet oil change service for first 2 times?

I just brought mine in for my 3rd free at 18k miles. The service advisor told me to make sure to change it again before 24k for the last freebie. I asked him about the life percentage and he said they'll change it no matter what.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol free GM oil change, believe me nothing is free. This is the perfect time for them to insert the ticking time bomb. ( Loosen a transmission fitting or a coolant fitting ) Never go back to the dealer except for warranty repair, even then only if it is cost effective.

Why do so many people only use the Mobil 1 full synthetic when the dexos 1 oil is also full synthetic?

Marketing.

That's what I was kinda thinking.

And, Mobil 1 is one of many on the dexos approved list.

Dexos is a specification, not an oil brand. Not all Dexos approved oils are full synthetic (but many are)

(there is a brand called delos)

'Dexos approved list' includes many brands and viscosity ratings:

http://www.centerforqa.com/dexos-brand1/

They are going to a second generation Dexos approval list.

Link to Gen2 list: http://www.centerforqa.com/dexos-brand2015/

I thought the ACDelco Dexos1 was a blend and that the ACDelco Dexos2 was a full synthetic. Do I understand this correctly?

I just got my oil changed Friday and it said on bill...Dexos 1 full synthetic. Must have changed it.

The original dexos1 was for gas engines and dexos2 was for light duty diesels. http://www.centerforqa.com/dexos-brands/

The website says the Dexos1 Gen 2 spec was released because of the needs of small turbo gasoline engines.

From the webpage:

"The second generation dexos1™ specification was issued in 2015 to provide better vehicle performance as well as low speed pre-ignition (LSPI) protection, particularly for small displacement turbo-charged engines."

Since this is a truck forum, it is important to note that the 6.6L Duramax does NOT use Dexos formulations, (but the 2.8L Duramax DOES use 5W30 Dexos2.)

They are now replacing the to Dexos1 spec with Dexos1 Gen 2.

There are a bunch (currently 78 are listed) of oils approved to the new Dexos1 Gen2 spec (also at the link above)

Most seem to be full synthetic, some are listed as synthetic blend. Many (most?) of the Dexos1 (original version) oils were also synthetic or synthetic blend oils)

The dealer is giving you a bunch of BS.

GM offers (4) changes in 2 years/24000 on 2014/2015 and (2) changes 1 year/12000 on 2016/2017 trucks. It doesn't matter for the OLM -- you are just done whenever you get all the included changes or you reach the time/mileage requirement.

You can get oil changes whenever you want you will just pay for them after you meet the above limits (which would actually be better for the dealer since they would get you for paid service).

Our trucks do not have break in oil in them. Just regular ole' motor oil.

I know that but I still change every new vehicle's oil at 1k for piece of mind.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

my 2014 came with 4 oil changes - time frame was 2-years / 24,000 miles , whichever came first . Got those diagnostic reports and as long as it was above 20% no sweat.

• 1 month later...

Brought my new Silverado in at 500+ miles to have an adjustment made to a poor tonneau cover install. Had the oil changed as well - I'm one of those guys who's anal about break-in. Anyway, no charge even though they had said oil monitor need to hit 20% before a "free" change. Weird having tires rotated at 500 miles though.

My service mgr told me not to worry about getting the 4th in by my 2 years, that they would still do the 4th free one.

I plan to take it in anyway as I will have pulled a fair bit between now and then and will want it changed.

Dealer uses a semi-synthetic for the free changes. It's not a full synthetic, but is Dexos. I pay ~$35 to get full synth done and did my first change myself at ~ 1500 kms.

Not sure what I'm going to do in the spring. Around here it is a pain in the butt to get rid of used oil. I think I may shop around and see who can give me the oil I want at the best price, or even see the charge if I bring in the oil and filter. Otherwise I'm driving to the next town to get rid of the oil.

Archived