Wireless charging

The new module will have the new style female end that is built in to it.  I don’t think you can take that out of the module?  Seems like it is built in. 

I realized after stating what said, I meant to transfer the harness end connector or find the bare connector from Mouser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

while the wireless charging would be great to have and i still would like it to work. you still need to plug in the phone to be able to use car play correct?

it would be great if GM came out with a hardware update for the wireless charging to work on 14-17 model years for the iphone.  as well as a software or hardware update so you can wirelessly use apple carplay.

while the wireless charging would be great to have and i still would like it to work. you still need to plug in the phone to be able to use car play correct?

it would be great if GM came out with a hardware update for the wireless charging to work on 14-17 model years for the iphone.  as well as a software or hardware update so you can wirelessly use apple carplay.
Yes that is correct

Just sharing what I found looking around.  Working in IT, I am use to standards and rely on them regularly.  It's odd the GM vehicles (2016-2017) state they are Qi compatible, and the iPhone 8/X states it is Qi compatible, yet they do not work together.  Which one is not adhering to the standard, assuming they were both under the Qi specification 1.X.X

I know they phone is newer vs. the truck, but standards are designed to clear this stuff up.  Reading the article below from the Wireless Power Consortium (the folks who created the Qi standard), it sounds like newer Qi versions should be backwards compatible, implying newer devices should work on older chargers.  (if I am reading and understanding it correctly)

Pulled the text below about the Qi specifications from the following page: https://www.wirelesspowerconsortium.com/developers/specification.html

Couldn't find a older listing for GM but this may be the Qi  charging unit in the 2018's?  https://www.wirelesspowerconsortium.com/products/details/1801/wireless-charging-transmitter

A brief history of the Qi specification

Qi specifications are numbered with three digits: X.Y.Z. For example 1.0.3

• X is called the major revision number. Specifications with the same major revision number are backward and forward compatible.
  • Y is called the minor revision number. A change in minor revision number implies that new requirements are introduced while maintaining backward compatibility previously certified products
  • Z is called the editorial revision number. Editorial revisions include clarifications, integrate new transmitter designs into one document, and may add new test to the test specifications.

CURRENT VERSION OF THE QI SPECIFICATION

The current version of the Qi specification has version number 1.2.3. The Qi specification that is available for public download has version 1.2.2. Version 1.2.3 is available only to members of the Wireless Power Consortium. It will be made available for public download later in 2017. 

HISTORY OF THE QI SPECIFICATION

Version 1.0

• Qi transmitter delivers 5 Watt power into a Qi phone.
  • Choice of transmitter designs include single coil transmitter, coil array transmitter, and moving coil transmitter.
  • High flexibility in design of Qi receivers
  • Limited flexibility in the design of Qi transmitters

Version 1.1

• Increased design freedom for transmitters. You can now choose between 12 different transmitter specifications.
  • Increased sensitivity of "Foreign Object Detection". This prevents heating of metal objects in the neighborhood of an active transmitter.
  • The possibility to power a Qi transmitter with a USB charger.

Version 1.2

• Fast charging. The possibility for transmitters to deliver up to 15 Watt power and the option for receivers to obtain up to 15 Watt.
  • An improved thermal test for transmitters
  • Improved timing requirements
  • Changed limits for Foreign Object Detection improve the sensitivity.
  • Optional unique identifier for power receivers (WP-ID)
Edited by SSam
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 11:38 AM, pgamboa said:

So if you are able to get the module form an 18, transfer it to a 16/17 Console. The 16/17 Console harness plug will have a different looking connector but the same wires, circuits, Wire colors Etc. If you can’t unpin, you can simply cut/splice. But we want the factory look....

91b3361d4e42bca7f187cf08296dfe06.jpg

380ec76a32d59e0cf4efb772ee151c7d.jpg

I'm slightly confused...  Is that the connector from the charger to the lid?  Or from the lid to the console?

I have a 2015 Denali (without wireless charging) and I'd like to simply buy a new 2018 lid to work with my new iPhone.  Will a console lid swap require a new connector?  Or was that only for swapping the charger within a current lid.

Thanks.

Edited by Black03Yukon

I just tried the magnet removal trick and no luck for me.  iPhone X.  Even tried moving the phone all over the module itself.  Seems that something registers as the battery says "85% Charged" but never indicates charging.

***FOR ANYONE LOOKING FOR THE CONNECTOR TO ADAPT THEIR 16-17 HARNESS TO AN 18 CHARGING MODULE, I THINK I FOUND THE CONNECTOR***

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity-AMP/2035363-4/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMs7eK6h2EBtKok8KA5yaiqOl1xbsXEwLiQ%3d

Edited by pgamboa
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, cbrsilv15 said:

I called my local dealer and it was $440 for the ‘18 lid. Holy crap....

Id like to order just the 2018 wireless charger. Know the part number but not the cost or where to order yet? 

2018 module asm-wireless charging system

Waiting to see how the 2018 unit works in 2016 and 2017 trucks. Hope we don’t have to reprogram the BCM. 

Shouldn’t be. Just power, ground, and charge indicator circuit.