Wireless charging

I have not. I was working with someone who had access to a 2018 Charging module, but the road block at the time was not having the right connectors/terminals to mate them up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@pgambo I see where you identified the connector, what about the terminals?

37 minutes ago, rtreptow7 said:

It baffles me why this works for some and not for others?  I have a 2017 and iPhone 8. After magnet and screen removal it only works if phone is laying on the mat before you start the truck. Little lightning bolt pops up on dash screen and phone charges. If I remove the phone and place it back there after the truck is started..it won’t work.  Won’t work again until I turn off the truck, make sure phone is on the mat, then start the truck again. Why the inconsistency??

Hmm.  What is the part number on your charger?  Perhaps there are different ones out there?  Mine is 23248791.

You could try to unplug the harness again from the module, then try plugging in again?  Perhaps there are different states that the module can be in when first initialized by plugging in?  For me, I could have sworn the first time I plugged it in, the connector was tight, but then nothing appeared to work.  When unplugging it, then plugging it in again with the phone on top of the charger, it seemed to work afterwards?  It wouldn't make sense either if the charger consistently had power even with the car off, because then it would just drain the battery.

1 hour ago, Bangback said:

Hmm.  What is the part number on your charger?  Perhaps there are different ones out there?  Mine is 23248791.

You could try to unplug the harness again from the module, then try plugging in again?  Perhaps there are different states that the module can be in when first initialized by plugging in?  For me, I could have sworn the first time I plugged it in, the connector was tight, but then nothing appeared to work.  When unplugging it, then plugging it in again with the phone on top of the charger, it seemed to work afterwards?  It wouldn't make sense either if the charger consistently had power even with the car off, because then it would just drain the battery.

I have the same part number. I’ve had mine plugged in and out at least ten times experimenting with things. I’ll give your suggestion a try. Also, when the charger is charging my phone I can get about a 20% increase on the battery charge in my 40 minute commute. According to some reviews of wireless chargers I’ve read about online, this isn’t terrible. 

3F505E1A-7758-4732-B508-A1F084AB02FB.jpeg

21 minutes ago, rtreptow7 said:

I have the same part number. I’ve had mine plugged in and out at least ten times experimenting with things. I’ll give your suggestion a try. Also, when the charger is charging my phone I can get about a 20% increase on the battery charge in my 40 minute commute. According to some reviews of wireless chargers I’ve read about online, this isn’t terrible. 

3F505E1A-7758-4732-B508-A1F084AB02FB.jpeg

This is a picture of mine.  My vehicle was built near the end of December 2016.  Maybe there are variations in modules across different time periods that still have the same part number?

02EDBF19-8CAD-4EB5-AEBB-AF7D018ABA7D.jpeg

7 hours ago, Bangback said:

Yes, the 2018 has a different charging module.

Some have said that the rubber console mat (or as GM calls it, just "LINER") is different, or at least a different part number.  From the pictures I have seen on chevrolet.com, it looks the same compared to 2017, but it's possible it could be different?

2017 mat:

2017mat.thumb.jpg.9f948361ca1200dfb3647db0ff570a39.jpg

2018 mat:

2018pad.thumb.jpg.4fc3acceae5ac43928f706523c7c6389.jpg

The 2017 mat has 9 raised bars on the surface, while the 2018 mat has 10 raised bars. The bezel is the same between the years. I changed mine out with one for a Yukon Denali, so it is a brushed metal finish.

3 hours ago, 2017SierraSLT said:

2017 mat:

2017mat.thumb.jpg.9f948361ca1200dfb3647db0ff570a39.jpg

2018 mat:

2018pad.thumb.jpg.4fc3acceae5ac43928f706523c7c6389.jpg

The 2017 mat has 9 raised bars on the surface, while the 2018 mat has 10 raised bars. The bezel is the same between the years. I changed mine out with one for a Yukon Denali, so it is a brushed metal finish.

That's great!  Were you able to get a part number for the new liner?  

11 hours ago, rtreptow7 said:

It baffles me why this works for some and not for others?  I have a 2017 and iPhone 8. After magnet and screen removal it only works if phone is laying on the mat before you start the truck. Little lightning bolt pops up on dash screen and phone charges. If I remove the phone and place it back there after the truck is started..it won’t work.  Won’t work again until I turn off the truck, make sure phone is on the mat, then start the truck again. Why the inconsistency??

I played with the charger some more tonight and I'm now having the same problem that you're having.  It won't charge my phone unless i turn on the truck with the phone on the mat.  It didn't do that this morning though as I was able to repeatedly remove and replace the phone on the charging mat, and it would begin charging each time.  The screen that we took out must have some function that is needed for the phones to initialize charging?  

I think at this point, the best thing to do is to see if the 2018 module would work in its place, with the new connector and new rubber liner.  

10 hours ago, Bangback said:

I played with the charger some more tonight and I'm now having the same problem that you're having.  It won't charge my phone unless i turn on the truck with the phone on the mat.  It didn't do that this morning though as I was able to repeatedly remove and replace the phone on the charging mat, and it would begin charging each time.  The screen that we took out must have some function that is needed for the phones to initialize charging?  

I think at this point, the best thing to do is to see if the 2018 module would work in its place, with the new connector and new rubber liner.  

looks like the only thing GM did with the liner is shortened that back bump stop, allowing the phone to sit toward the back more where the charger is placed. you could accomplish the same thing by rotating an earlier model year liner

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bangback said:

Interestingly enough, when the phone won't charge on the wireless pad, if I plug in a lightning cable hooked up to the truck's USB port, then place it on the wireless pad while still connected to the cord, it will begin to charge wirelessly.  Even after i disconnect the cable, it will maintain normal behavior for wireless charging.  I can take it off the pad, put it back on right side up, upside down, etc, and it will still recognize the iPhone X and charge.

This could be a temporary workaround to have something working until we figure everything out with the 2018 modules?

Edited by Bangback