Wireless charging

Sorry if I missed it earlier but does anyone know if the charger in the 2018 models (new replacement part number version mentioned previously ) is a fast wireless charge or just an updated part number that does not charge at the faster rates. I have a Samsung Note 8 and this phone can fully charge in less than an hour on a fast charge however on the Qi charge from my 2016 when playing around with it we could wait up too 3 hours. Hate to put an "updated" part in and get very little to no better performance.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, GMC_SD_Ult_16 said:

Sorry if I missed it earlier but does anyone know if the charger in the 2018 models (new replacement part number version mentioned previously ) is a fast wireless charge or just an updated part number that does not charge at the faster rates. I have a Samsung Note 8 and this phone can fully charge in less than an hour on a fast charge however on the Qi charge from my 2016 when playing around with it we could wait up too 3 hours. Hate to put an "updated" part in and get very little to no better performance.

don't count on it

I use Apple Play in my truck as well. As a matter of fact, my new ProClip Holder for my iPhone X came in today.

Probably the only reason for me to get this stinking wireless lid to work for iPhones, would be for those rare moments where my passenger is too lazy to plug their phone to a cable and would just rather throw the phone on the lid for those short drives. There are also times where I’m working on my truck and I have a habit of just throwing my phone conveniently on the lid.

I mean - I only have (5) USB ports I can use , and a 12V - Dual USB plug - dedicated for charging only [emoji23][emoji23]... but to stare at this lid knowing it won’t charge my phone is enough for me to get it to work... and of course, show everyone here how I did it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 2:37 AM, GMC_SD_Ult_16 said:

I will perform a one hour charge test on my friend's 2018 and report back if there is any difference between his and my 2017 in terms of charging rate for my Moto Z.

On 11/26/2017 at 9:17 AM, Black Denali Canada said:

My ‘17 Denali will charge if I start the truck with the phone on the charge pad but if I remove it and put it back, nothing happens. Removed the magnet & square plastic encased coil, swapped charge pad to keep phone closer to the rear of the truck.

Anyone had any more luck with it ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a similar issue on my '17 Suburban.  Took out the magnet and screen as well.  Mine will usually work fine when i put it on and take it off the wireless charger, but sometimes it doesn't respond.  When then happens, I plug in the lighting cable for a second, then after that, it seems to work OK again, being able to wirelessly charge after that.  Others have had the same issue, and when they plug their cable in, it doesn't fix it.

The better solution is to use the 2018 module, once people figure out if it works with pre 2018 models, with the proper harness also.  My 9 rib rubber liner seems to work OK with the 2017 charger without the magnet/screen, but a 10 rib liner would give more flexibility for phone placement.

Edited by Bangback

On 11/21/2017 at 10:58 AM, Bangback said:

I did some testing this morning in my '17 Suburban.  I left this morning with an 87% charge on my iPhone X and put it on the armrest charger.  25 minutes later, I took a look at the phone and it was up to 94%.  The phone was not hot, and the lightning bolt was steadily displayed on the Suburban display for the entire duration.  

I asked a friend what he though the magnet/screen ribbon cable set up might be for.  Again, this is just pure guessing, but he thought that it looked like an antenna, and that perhaps it was acting as a filter so that only the Qi frequencies would be able to be passed from the coil?  The guess is that maybe it's just connected to filtered ground and the grid pattern itself is what is causing the filtering?  Perhaps it is something that is needed to compliance against unwanted transmissions that are out of band for Qi?   This is probably older technology and new chargers may not need this anymore?  The magnet is just used to ensure the device is properly centered on the coil, lining up with a magnet in the device itself.  

Anyone else have any ideas?

I think the magnet/screen is a wireless receiver, which makes you wonder why would GM put both a wireless transmitter and a receiver in the same box.  My theory is that the risk averse engineers at GM were worried about safety risks of someone putting something metal on the wireless charger, even though the wattages are very low.  I believe they put in a receiver to reduce the overall output of the transmitter, which is why the 2017s and earlier don't meet the QI standard.   That's just a theory--I could be wrong.

I have the iPhone X and I installed my own wireless coil, fast charges and no problems and no overheating, only thing people forget is you have to buy a fast charge USB port to go in the outlet or you won’t get the fast charge. 

4 hours ago, Carter8 said:

I have the iPhone X and I installed my own wireless coil, fast charges and no problems and no overheating, only thing people forget is you have to buy a fast charge USB port to go in the outlet or you won’t get the fast charge. 

you installed it in the console?

5 hours ago, Carter8 said:

Pics please.