Wireless charging

8 minutes ago, Stevan said:

I have a central console with a phone holder. There are also 2 USB ports and 1 cigarette lighter in the console as well.

I don’t know if an OEM solution exists but it seems like I should be able to glue a 3-coil charger part under the plastic that the matt sits on and then plug it into one of the two USB ports?

Anyone know the maximum distance between a wireless charging coil and the back of the phone?

If you already have the full center console then you could swap the console lid with wireless charging lid and wire in the OEM wireless charging module using the power and ground from the power outlet, it just won't show you're charging on the infotainment screen and it won't be PnP as Phil (pgamboa) mentioned.  If you didn't want to swap lids, yes you can retrofit a wireless charger under the mat and use a USB port for power.  The are various videos out there of that modification, just do a quick search on YouTube.

Edited by BlkSS
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BlkSS said:

If you already have the full center console then you could swap the console lid with wireless charging lid and wire in the OEM wireless charging module using the power and ground from the power outlet, it just won't show you're charging on the infotainment screen and it won't be PnP as Phil (pgamboa) mentioned.

This would be perfect.  I’m not too shabby at DIY.

So you happen to have the part # of the lid with wireless charging?

1 minute ago, Stevan said:

This would be perfect.  I’m not too shabby at DIY.

So you happen to have the part # of the lid with wireless charging?

I don't but you can get a VIN from a 2018 that has it and call the dealer.  @pgamboa may know as I think he may have sold one a while back.  I've seen them on Ebay too, just make sure it's for a 2018 so it'll have the updated charging module and mat too.

33 minutes ago, Stevan said:

I have the jump seat.  

With a jump seat, the above route I mentioned won't work BUT you should be able to retrofit an aftermarket wireless charger under the mat in your jump seat lid like you previously mentioned.  Check out this YouTube video and apply the same idea to your jump seat.  There are also companies like Brandmotion that sell universal kits that with a little modification, you can install their kit.  I've never used or seen this kit in person but here is a link if you're interested.  It's not as cheap as some but it may be easier to retrofit.  

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_212FDM1210/Brandmotion-FDMC-1210.html

2 hours ago, BlkSS said:

With a jump seat, the above route I mentioned won't work BUT you should be able to retrofit an aftermarket wireless charger under the mat in your jump seat lid like you previously mentioned.  Check out this YouTube video and apply the same idea to your jump seat.  There are also companies like Brandmotion that sell universal kits that with a little modification, you can install their kit.  I've never used or seen this kit in person but here is a link if you're interested.  It's not as cheap as some but it may be easier to retrofit.  

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_212FDM1210/Brandmotion-FDMC-1210.html

Thanks a lot for all the help.  

I think I will try and do this DIY route.  I’m thinking about ordering the cheapest wireless charger with 3 coils and charging, take it apart and put it between the rubber mat and plastic base.  

• 2 months later...
On 9/13/2018 at 8:47 PM, pgamboa said:

The “kit” won’t work since your console won’t have an existing plug to “plug” it into.

I’m working on a concept for those that have a center console but not wireless charging to be able to easily add it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any update on adding wireless charging to a console lid without wireless charging?

• Like 1

On 7/26/2018 at 7:16 AM, kjohnson2289 said:

Has anyone tried charging a "phablet" sized phone like the iphone 8 plus?  GM's website says it won't fit/charge.  Curious to know if anyone has tried or has any solutions/trays/mats that would fit.  Thanks!

On 7/26/2018 at 8:47 AM, pgamboa said:

iPhone 8 Plus is too wide. I’ve heard it’ll charge but won’t sit flat.

On 7/26/2018 at 10:33 AM, razor2307 said:

8 plus will charge on the factory mat after the charger upgrade but you must place it carefully and it can’t move.  It Does sit at a slight angle.  Helps to not have a case 

On 9/13/2018 at 8:02 PM, colonel00 said:

My biggest gripe with my wireless charging (came with my '18 LT that had a center console) is that it isn't a fast charger.  It's just plain slow.  Not bad for longer trips but in either situation, it's just as easy to plug the phone in. I don't suppose any of the OEM chargers are fast wireless, are they?

I have the 8+, with OtterBox Defender Case, and it sits at a slight angle, but charges way too slow.  I found one of my 4" power/data cables, from my '10 Ridgeline, and use that in the pencil holder, up front.  Downside to the wireless charger, CarPlay will not engage without USB.

Curious (don't care about the damn cat), will the phone charge faster with USB while laying on the wireless charger?

On 9/13/2018 at 7:47 PM, pgamboa said:

The “kit” won’t work since your console won’t have an existing plug to “plug” it into.

I’m working on a concept for those that have a center console but not wireless charging to be able to easily add it.

Tap into the DC outlet on the back of the center console, or the USB/DCs inside of the console?

Any update on adding wireless charging to a console lid without wireless charging?

If the lid doesn’t have the mounting studs to accommodate the module, you’ll have to get a lid that already has a module.

One thing to note, unless you’re getting a 2018 lid, you’ll need to swap the any previous version module to the 2018 module.

In my explorations on various lids, I discovered that the double white stitched lid I got that came from an SUV console had the smaller mat similar to the ones with modules. This is when I learned that GM made a “Delete Wireless” model of lids. This meant that the studs to accommodate a module were there.

See the video I made on this here.

Lastly,

I have designed a harness that will nicely pull 12V from the rear 12V cig lighter outlet for $45 that will plug into the lid with the 2018 module.

Looks like this.

5ed0b0e2b77470e3a873b876b52fa92c.jpg

• Like 1

One final thought on this...

I picked up a lid from an Escalade Console. My iPhone XS Max (with an Apple leather case) fits the mat! So naturally, I placed them side by side and it looks like a direct fit.

ddfe1754780d00b18646ac64ab507189.jpg

9 hours ago, GMC_SD_Ult_16 said:

Does anyone know:

1. Is a 2019 wireless charger a fast charger?

2. Has anyone, if it is a fast charger, looked to see if it can be retrofit into a 2014+ (with or without update adapter used in 2018s)?

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Phil, what year is Escalade console lid? Looks like a great idea! Should be plug and play for my 2018 console?

thanks again!

• Like 1

I find the wireless charger pretty pointless.  Yes, it works in my '18, charging my wife's S7 Edge and my G7 ThinQ.

But it's pointless, since to use Android Auto you have to hard wire.  If I'm pulling my phone out of my pocket, I'm just going to plug it in there.  OEM's aren't offering wireless Android auto quite yet (it is available in Android, so in 2-3 years Apple CarPlay will have it and Apple Fanboi's will tell you that Apple invented it).  Once OEM's adopt the wireless Android Auto, then the wireless charging makes a lot of sense.

I had it in my last truck as a wireless charging cell phone mount, but that was so I could see the phone as it didn't have Android Auto.  That made sense - in this truck, pointless.  

Phil, what year is Escalade console lid? Looks like a great idea! Should be plug and play for my 2018 console?

thanks again!

It doesn’t have the latest module.. so I’m guessing 2017. When I get time, I’ll throw the 2018 module in it and test it. I use a cable myself and a mount, so having wireless charging are for those times I just throw my phone on the lid.