Wireless charging

On 10/24/2017 at 9:54 PM, Justin101714 said:

Yes, works just fine. I’ve tried it in a silverado and a traverse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve had the opposite experience in a 2016, my iPhone 8 does not work with the build in wireless charging. The green icon at the top of the infotainment screen lights up for all of about 2 seconds and the phone never begins to charge. I am in the process of replacing with a faster 3 coil Qi standard charger mounted inside the console lid and plugged into the center console cigarette lighter. By doing so I’m getting the benefit of a little faster wireless charge. Everything looks stock from above, with the exception of the wire running inside the console. I can post more info when I’ve completed if people are interested. I should be done by tomorrow. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, mdnyrx said:

I’ve had the opposite experience in a 2016, my iPhone 8 does not work with the build in wireless charging. The green icon at the top of the infotainment screen lights up for all of about 2 seconds and the phone never begins to charge. I am in the process of replacing with a faster 3 coil Qi standard charger mounted inside the console lid and plugged into the center console cigarette lighter. By doing so I’m getting the benefit of a little faster wireless charge. Everything looks stock from above, with the exception of the wire running inside the console. I can post more info when I’ve completed if people are interested. I should be done by tomorrow. 

DIY with pics please :) 

Totally useless in my '16 teamed up with my Droid Turbo II in an Otterbox case.  Even if I take the case off its very unreliable. My solution is a Verizon 12v coiled charging cable plugged into a 12v outlet inside the console. pluggged into  the phone sitting into the charging cradle. Works like a charm and no real clutter

2 hours ago, JacobC1983 said:

Has anybody replaced their console lid with one from the 2018 truck that has the updated charging station?

2018:

39.jpg?wtrmk1024

My 2017:

tray1.jpg

The lid appears the same. The rubber pad appears different at the rear to accommodate longer phones. Curious if the charger is a more powerful unit.

Edited by 2017SierraSLT

On 10/25/2017 at 11:26 PM, mdnyrx said:

definitely interested in a write up as well

8 hours ago, Tattooo said:

I wonder if the rubber pad could be swapped or if you need to change the whole lid ?

Absolutely. I swapped out the bezel on mine with one for a Yukon Denali. They come apart easily. I will need to find the 2018 part number.

tray2.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tattooo said:

I wonder if the rubber pad could be swapped or if you need to change the whole lid ?

Before you go an buy one and swap out. Try taking the rubber piece out and flip it around. so the lip is in the front. I was having trouble charging my S8 in my 2016, but after I turned the rubber piece around it charges just fine. It moves the phone closer to the back about a 1/4 inch. Just enough to hit the sweet spot on the charger.  You will have to cut off a small nub on the bottom of the pad that is used for alignment. Very easy mod and works like a charm every time I pop the phone down now.

Before you go an buy one and swap out. Try taking the rubber piece out and flip it around. so the lip is in the front. I was having trouble charging my S8 in my 2016, but after I turned the rubber piece around it charges just fine. It moves the phone closer to the back about a 1/4 inch. Just enough to hit the sweet spot on the charger.  You will have to cut off a small nub on the bottom of the pad that is used for alignment. Very easy mod and works like a charm every time I pop the phone down now.
O.k thanks, is it hard or does it just pop out ?