Wireless charging

7 hours ago, David Ulbrich said:

The 2018 works just fine with my iPhone X.  I just went to the dealership and tested it out.  I got the part number for the 2018 wireless charger module which is 13507652.  The parts guy said that it only stated model year 2018 for that part.  He also said that it is so new that there is no price in the system for it yet either.

I was working with another member on this.  He took apart the wireless charging lid to a 2018 and compared to a 2017.  The connector end on the 2018 is different than previous years as to why they say its not backwards to compatible.  Not a big problem though as the circuits are identical in how they are delivered to the charger.  GM just used a different connector end.  You should be able to unpin the connector and transfer it.

It is on this site. Look at member AlabamaBishop.   Has a very simple fix for this issue.   

The topic name is 

IPhone 8 & wireless charging pad

look on the last page and he has a video showing what to do. 

Edited by Doug83

12 hours ago, pgamboa said:

I was working with another member on this.  He took apart the wireless charging lid to a 2018 and compared to a 2017.  The connector end on the 2018 is different than previous years as to why they say its not backwards to compatible.  Not a big problem though as the circuits are identical in how they are delivered to the charger.  GM just used a different connector end.  You should be able to unpin the connector and transfer it.

What do you mean by “unpin the connector and transfer it”?  Take the connector out of a 17 charging module and put it in a new 18 module?  Then put the 18 in your 17 truck? How do you “unpin”?

Yep, correct. Unpin and transfer the connector.

Most Connector have a CPA (Connector position assurance) lock and a TPA (Terminal Position Assurance). These are what needs to be removed in order to unpin. Having some small detail pick tools help for the smaller connector and cavities (pun intended). Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

So if you are able to get the module form an 18, transfer it to a 16/17 Console. The 16/17 Console harness plug will have a different looking connector but the same wires, circuits, Wire colors Etc. If you can’t unpin, you can simply cut/splice. But we want the factory look....

91b3361d4e42bca7f187cf08296dfe06.jpg

380ec76a32d59e0cf4efb772ee151c7d.jpg

• Like 1

I tried the removal trick and it did not work like in the video.  I think I am going to get the aftermarket freedom charge unit that is made for 2015 to 2017 sierras and yukons.  They also make a adapter that uses the factory plus from the cigarette lighter so no splicing of cables.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Doug83 said:

I did the removal trick and my iPhone X works.

Tried it on my 2016 Sierra and no luck with my iPhone X. Wish I had access to an Android or anything else other than an iPhone. I’m starting to think the module I have may not be working but have no way to back that up. 

4 hours ago, pgamboa said:

So if you are able to get the module form an 18, transfer it to a 16/17 Console. The 16/17 Console harness plug will have a different looking connector but the same wires, circuits, Wire colors Etc. If you can’t unpin, you can simply cut/splice. But we want the factory look....

91b3361d4e42bca7f187cf08296dfe06.jpg

380ec76a32d59e0cf4efb772ee151c7d.jpg

So not only would I have to find the 2018 charging module to order, but I would have to get the right 2018 connector which I would guess is sold separately as its attached to the wiring in the truck. If I want to make it look factory clean and unpin the connector. I searched unpinning connectors on YouTube. It looks pretty simple. 

Edited by rtreptow7
  • Like 1

So not only would I have to find the 2018 charging module to order, but I would have to get the right 2018 connector which I would guess is sold separately as its attached to the wiring in the truck. If I want to make it look factory clean and unpin the connector. I searched unpinning connectors on YouTube. It looks pretty simple. 

I’m trying to locate the mate end connector to the module. :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Debo3883 said:

What removal trick are you talking about? I’d really like to be able to wirelessly charge my iPhoneX in my 2017 Denali. Any tips or tricks are appreciated. 

Look at the link on page 8

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rtreptow7 said:

Would you not take the 2018 connector off the module you purchase and put the connector from your original module on it?  

Another solution was mentioned in a thread where folks were replacing the mat with a 3 coil pad but can't find the thread anymore.  Maybe it got deleted for some reason...

-S

Edited by SSam

47 minutes ago, SSam said:

Would you not take the 2018 connector off the module you purchase and put the connector from your original module on it?  

Another solution was mentioned in a thread where folks were replacing the mat with a 3 coil pad but can't find the thread anymore.  Maybe it got deleted for some reason...

-S

The new module will have the new style female end that is built in to it.  I don’t think you can take that out of the module?  Seems like it is built in. 

• Like 1