Tear in All-Terrain seat not being covered by Warranty

So I took my 2014 All-Terrain in for some warranty work (I have less than 30k on the odometer).

I noticed 2 small tears in the seat cover where the stitching is. I think it should be covered under warranty but the dealer does not agree. The tear starts where the thread goes through the vinyl, yes it's on the bolster where there would be normal wear but it shouldn't fail that quickly.

Here is the area in question:

attachicon.gifwKU5nc9.jpg

Better picture at https://i.imgur.com/wKU5nc9.jpg

Has anyone else had this kind of failure? Should I try another dealer that might actually care?. To put it in perspective of how crappy this is, my wife's 2004 4-runner with over 100K miles had the dash replaced under warranty a few weeks ago because the cover cracked. That's proper customer service.

I had a 6 inch knife cut behind the knee section of passenger seat that mysteriously showed up after a 5k oil change. I don't own a knife, nor would I be playing fruit ninja in a 40k truck. After 3 different dealers, no questions asked it got replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your under 3/36, contact gm directly and tell them what is going on and provide pictures. I work at Nissan and see it daily. Issues with seat wear and discoloration. We replace entire door panels, seat covers, gauge covers, dash boards. You name it. If there is a defect it will be replaced under 3/36. We replaced a 2017 armada seat back the other day because of a discoloration. $1700 for Just the cover, free to the customer. The dealer shouldn't refuse you. They just don't wanna deal with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes that should be covered. Those seats/foam/leather/vynl are tested and designed to last 100,000 miles at minimum of ingress/egress stresses with robot simulators. This was obviously a manufacturer defect in the stitching. It happens. And should be covered.

• Like 1

This happened to my 2014 and they wouldn't cover it. I ended up ordering a factory cover from one of the online dealerships and did the replacement myself. Not an easy job and I used to work in an aircraft interior shop where we worked on leather seats all the time. The replacement started to tear before I traded it on my 2016. Now the 2016 is doing the same. Still under the 3/36 warranty and the last time I was in for my last free oil change I mentioned it to the service advisor saying the last one wasn't covered but I won't stand for it not being covered on a second truck since it was the exact same problem in the exact same place. Haven't taken it back yet but I expect a fight and they should expect one from me. I can say the 2016 has been a much better truck than the 2014 warranty wise as I've not had to have any warranty work done on it but GM really needs to step up and replace these covers that have an obvious design flaw.

My 2014 All Terrain with 15,000 miles is doing the same thing in the same spot. I just noticed it the other day and was going to call my dealership to schedule something.

Dealer replaced mine under warranty even though it was a wear item. Said they would only replace it once though. The second cover hasn't had any problems

Edited by cjd10

I would try another service department. You may find a more customer focused service adviser. S/he should at least give you a one time fix like cjd10. I think it must be a tough job at times to determine what is legitimate warranty claim! I have never needed to make an upholstery warranty claim but I shudder at the number of times I have jumped into my previous pickups with a forgotten screwdriver in my back pocket!

My 2014 All Terrain with 15,000 miles is doing the same thing in the same spot. I just noticed it the other day and was going to call my dealership to schedule something.

Hey Scott, let me know what they tell you. You going to Texan or somewhere else?

GM has an optional Rip, Burn, or Tear warranty with thier upholstery I believe through Symtech. If you have that you can take a knife to your own seat, burn it on purpose with a cigar and they will still fix it. If you did not purchase that warranty I can see them trying to dance around it. They will say it is caused by sliding out of the seat and not a defect. I think I paid $1,500-2,000CAD for the interior coverage, as well as the rust/paint warranty. When dealing with a leather seat cover costing as much as $1,800 to replace I have taken that option on my last 2 trucks. Good luck resolving your issue. If you're completely screwed, I would start phoning salvage yards and see if anyone has wrecked an All Terrain SLT yet.

I had a tear in the perforated seat on the driver side and what looked like a soon-to-be tear on the passenger's seat of my 2015, it was j a little over a year old. Dealership re-covered both seats without hesitation.

• 1 month later...

I recently traded my '14 SLT All Terrain w/ "leather" for a '17 SLE w/ cloth partly because of this. Didn't trust the seats to last past the warranty period.

Edited by jono20