thought i would update to help others out....

i got the murry condenser and replaced it myself... i think it was around $60.00

i also bought the bracket from amazon...$8

my line looked perfect and didn't show any signs of leaking so i didn't replace it.

after replacing the condenser i took it to a local a/c shop i trust and had them pull a vacuum and recharge it...they charged me $100.

overall pretty simple install minus a few bolts that are hard to get to on the underside of the radiator support.

sucks knowing that this is pretty much a defective part from the factory and i had to waste a sunday afternoon fixing it...but i do have 92K trouble free miles, so i can't complain too much.

great video i followed and helped out with what to remove...

• Like 1

My dealer (Everett GMC in Benotn, AR) got me for $913 for replacing the condenser.  Did give me a 17 Z71 with 1100 miles to play with for 24 hours though.  GM's customer interface chat did nothing for me.  My truck is a '15 crew cab Z71 with 64K.

• 2 weeks later...

You guys that are replacing the condenser yourself, did you verify the condenser was indeed leaking, with a pressure leakdown test? or find the spot it was weeping oil?  Which brings up another point.  You should add a couple ounces of PAG oil when replacing the condenser.  Add another ounce if replacing hoses.

Edited by Spurshot

Unfortunately, add me to the list as well. I am taking it in next week and have already opened a case ID for this issue. Quoted $1,300+ tax over the phone for the repair.

This one really frustrates me. It is the second issue that I have had that is a known issue to GM. The first issue was the faulty electrical that left me stranded. After a tow and $300 repair, I was not a happy camper. This seems to be a bigger $$$ issue- hoping I have success as others have had on this forum as well.

On 9/8/2017 at 3:06 PM, GhostTX said:

AC is working just fine.

Also, yesterday the Service Manager at the dealership where I had it serviced called and had just spoken with GM. GM said they'd help with $300 of the cost. Problem is, the service was already done, which the GM rep was surprised by (why wouldn't I get the truck fixed right away?!?). At any rate, since the amount can't be applied to the repair since I already paid, the best method of dealing with it is applying a $300 credit for any future service I get at the dealership. If I were to ask for the money now, in cash, apparently there's a several week bureaucratic paper nightmare to get GM to release the cash to the dealership who would then have to release the cash to me. :wtf:

At any rate, I've also submitted a similar complaint I did to the FTC to my state's AG consumer complaints.

This is an issue GM should be actively dealing with, rather than owners having to prod them to help with.

Funny how we can release tons off money to them,but when the tables are turned they tighten there ass cheeks not to pay out

Thought I would update everyone on the status of my issue- I picked up my truck earlier this week. After following the instructions laid out in this forum, the dealership offered me a price tag of $307 out the door after discussing my claim with GM. With an original quote of $1,400+ and a truck at 84k, of course, I took it and I remain a happy customer.

One thing this does tell me, if GM is willing to go this far for my truck they know it is a huge issue. For those that find themselves in a similar situation, I started my case on GM chat where the agent created a claim #. Once the dealership confirmed the condenser had to be replaced, I informed them I had done my homework on this issue and opened a claim with GM due to the large amount of trucks affected. The service agent took it from there and called me a few hours later to offer the $307.

I followed the advice of cnet24 and went online to GM chat to start the discussion and file a claim. I then went to the dealership with my truck to get it diagnosed as well as tell them that I had previously asked GM for help with a claim. Side note, it was funny when I went into the dealership and told the service manager that my AC went out, he was just honest with me and told me that it was my condenser and it is a very common issue with the vehicles. Long story short the service manager was aware that I had made a claim with GM and he went ahead and spoke directly to them to resolve my issue. It ended up just being a hose issue and was fixed for $120. GM contacted me directly and were actually very helpful which lets me know they are aware that there is a major issue. One piece of advice that I think helped out my situation is that when talking to the dealership and GM I acted like I was unaware of an issue and surprised by what they found and did. But the benefit to this situation aside of the many others is that GM is willing to aid in repairs which actually will make your dealership be a little more proactive with repairs since they are not going to be stuck with a repair bill on their behalf.

I was driving to look at a used tailgate yesterday, because mine was recently stolen. I got on the freeway and realized my air conditioning was boiling lava hot. Then the guy selling the tailgate was a tweeker and it was clearly stolen so I passed and drove away in my boiling hot truck. I thought the day couldn’t get much worse, until I saw the 1,600 dollar price tag. I filed a claim with GM chat and took the truck to the dealer, the service manager didn’t seem surprised. I told him I could almost guarantee it was the hose, condenser or compressor, he said that sounded about right. It’s a 2014 Silverado LTZ 4x4 with 33,600 miles but I’m over the 3 year mark. I have owned 9 cars, half of them reached over 100,000 miles and I have never even had to charge the A/C systems. The fact that there isn’t already an extended warranty for these parts blows my mind. Add this to failed leaf springs, failed seat bracket, failed front parking sensor, failed brake booster, and I burn at a minimum 1 quart every 1000 miles. I will never buy a GM vehicle again as long as I live. Anybody who defends GM on this is a nut job, they clearly put an inferior part on these vehicles and are trying to avoid a class action suit but for whatever ass hole reason refuse to extend the warranty on these parts. Rant over, hopefully I get decent news tomorrow. After reading that some people with twice

my mileage only end up paying 200-300 I will be ranting again if I have to pay more.

Add me to the list for a leaking condenser. Stealership wants $1400 to replace. A local shop wants $800. I did the online GM chat but nothing came of it. I'll likely end up buying what I need and doing it myself. Just need to find time :sleep:

Edited by Jadis