I apologize snoringbear.  You are correct I am being sensitive.  Thank you for your service btw.  Sometimes I get frustrated and it comes off as negative and whinny.  Anyways, I really love the truck and I will figure the issues out with the AC.  I have given up the fight and I believe it is something electrical although I have test each fuse by hand.  I have had several very experienced AC technicians come to my house off duty and cannot figure the issue.  I have resolved to living without truck AC.  Going to focus on completing the new console swap project with Pgamboa awesome wiring harness.

Thanks everyone - sorry for all the bitching on my end.  

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I would give an update.  Replaced condensor, replaced compressor, replaced expansion valve, replaced suspect line, flushed system, vacuumed system down to -30lbs overnight, checked for leaks, charged system with proper amount.  After all that AC not blowing cold.  Checked high and low-side pressures were equalized in the system around 110 each.  Compressor engaging but not creating pressure on high side or decreasing pressure on the lowside.  Brought several experienced friends over to take a look and one Chevrolet retired mechanic to help diagnosis the issue - all side it was likely a bad compressor (luck of the draw).  I then replaced new compressor with a brand new AC delco compressor did the same entire process again and had the same problem.  I gave up and took chevy to local new dealership and explained what I did.  They were helpful and found the issue after 3.5 hours of tracing an electrical issue to the ECM.  They replaced the faulty wire at no charge (excluding labor or course) and now she is blowing cold.  I have never seen a functioning compressor clutch engage and not build pressure; turns out there is some code written into the ECM telling the compressor not to build pressure unless that faulty wire sends all clear code.  I now suspect my original compressor was just fine and did not need replacing lol....live and learn.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mines still working just fine. Over the weekend I noticed It has started sounding like a small turbine spinning up when I turn it on now. Pretty sure I’ve read somewhere on the forums there was some loose piece inside a vent causing the hissing type sound on several other trucks. As long as its not a precursor to the condenser blowing out, I can live with it no problem.

Hooksets are free...

• 2 months later...

My condenser failed at 53,000 miles.  I have a 2015 Chevy Silverado crew cab Z71.   I ordered the condenser and seals to replace it myself today.  It will probably take a week to get the parts.  Looks like it is leaking slowly around the welds.  I have had UV dye in for 2 days.  .  large.IMG_20181204_155916265.jpg.d23a12c

Edited by Jusaplaya

On 8/3/2018 at 8:36 AM, markusarealuis said:

I apologize snoringbear.  You are correct I am being sensitive.  Thank you for your service btw.  Sometimes I get frustrated and it comes off as negative and whinny.  Anyways, I really love the truck and I will figure the issues out with the AC.  I have given up the fight and I believe it is something electrical although I have test each fuse by hand.  I have had several very experienced AC technicians come to my house off duty and cannot figure the issue.  I have resolved to living without truck AC.  Going to focus on completing the new console swap project with Pgamboa awesome wiring harness.

Thanks everyone - sorry for all the bitching on my end.  

Awe man, we all get frustrated at times and you’re good. It sucks even if you are buying an as is vehicle when something is being stubborn and thumbing its nose at you all the time! Hope it works out for you and you can enjoy your truck the way it was/is supposed to do. I’d probably be even more vocal if I had no A/C here in Florida. 

Just read where it was fixed ?

Edited by SS502

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got time to fix my A/C tonight.  It held vacuum at -29 and dropped maybe a 1/4 point in an hour.  That 1/4 point drop was after my pump was turned off and the gauges were closed.   I think that my amazon gauges are not the greatest.  It ended up costing me about 350 to do it myself.  That and about 7 hours of my time.  I went with an aftermarket condenser.  I hope I am retiring from A/C work.  It is not for me.   

• 3 weeks later...
I guess I will have to take the plunge and bring mu truck in as my ac stopped blowing cold today suddenly. 78,000+ miles and no more warranty. This is going to hurt, isn't it?

At the dealer, it’ll be around $1100. Comes with a 2 year warranty. Might be worth taking it to a reputable shop and getting an aftermarket condenser that is built better than the factory unit. I don’t have any recommendations but a few guys have found more robust units in various threads on here. Either way, it’s gonna hurt.

1 hour ago, cajun_duck said:

I guess I will have to take the plunge and bring mu truck in as my ac stopped blowing cold today suddenly. 78,000+ miles and no more warranty. This is going to hurt, isn't it?

On one of the pages of this post, there is a number for an extended warranty that Chevy put out for this problem. Not sure if they are still honoring it or not, but I would check. 

14 hours ago, JimCost2014 said:

On one of the pages of this post, there is a number for an extended warranty that Chevy put out for this problem. Not sure if they are still honoring it or not, but I would check. 

I agree.  If there is such a number give it a call.  Regardless, suggest you talk to the dealer and ask because it’s a known problem if they or the factory could assist with the cost even though your truck is out of warranty.  I’ve had good results with this from time to time.  Keep in mind you’re asking for what’s known in the industry as “Good Will” assistance.  So, check your guns at the door if you know what I mean ?...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Snoringbear said:

I agree.  If there is such a number give it a call.  Regardless, suggest you talk to the dealer and ask because it’s a known problem if they or the factory could assist with the cost even though your truck is out of warranty.  I’ve had good results with this from time to time.  Keep in mind you’re asking for what’s known in the industry as “Good Will” assistance.  So, check your guns at the door if you know what I mean ?...

Sorry, I was not clear, there is a "Special Coverage Adjustment", believe it is number 17336. We used it to have the condenser replaced in our 2016 Tahoe after it was out of bumper to bumper coverage.

• 3 weeks later...